• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Gulping

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
We have a timer now but before we got one that was our schedule so we just kept it the same so she didn't get confused lol.

It was the exact same here. One day it was so hot we raised the window and let her bask on the sill all day. The next day it was freezing. I'll discuss it with Maddie but Idk, I think it may be good to give her a winter schedule. Just to mimic her natural environment a little more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Definitely talk it over and see if it's something you want to do. I like to mimic nature as much as possible, but there are tons of people who keep their beardies on the same schedule year round, which works just fine for them. If she's already dozing off early, may as well just turn out the lights, right?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Maddie

Juvenile Dragon
I'm cool with changing the schedule, but hate to fool with that timer it's so confusing!! Lol

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
That's what I think as well.
Btw I mean *Partial* brumation not parcel, I have no idea what parcel even means lol. And 12PM-1am is her current schedule, I promise we don't have her on a 1 hour schedule [emoji23] I just can't type apparently.

But thank you Eavlynn, you've certainly made me feel much better

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yea it sounds like she is going thru a partial brumation.. depending on age and health they may or may not go thru a full brumation.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It really is best to mimic the sun best you can.. Not to mention they can see and sense the time of day so having the timers on a more natural on/off is a good idea.. I keep the same time all year round. Lights go on 7 am and off at 8pm

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
It really is best to mimic the sun best you can.. Not to mention they can see and sense the time of day so having the timers on a more natural on/off is a good idea.. I keep the same time all year round. Lights go on 7 am and off at 8pm

I had no idea they could actually sense what time of day it is. The room she is in has black curtains so it's stays pitch black until her lights cut on and we raise the blinds. I had just always thought shed think it was night time :/ Plus I'm usually in the room doing homework sometimes till 1am (which is the main reason we made her scheduled this way). My poor baby is probably all confused.

So to fix that would we just keep setting the timer back in 30min segments until we've reach a more ideal schedule?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I had no idea they could actually sense what time of day it is. The room she is in has black curtains so it's stays pitch black until her lights cut on and we raise the blinds. I had just always thought shed think it was night time :/ Plus I'm usually in the room doing homework sometimes till 1am (which is the main reason we made her scheduled this way). My poor baby is probably all confused.

So to fix that would we just keep setting the timer back in 30min segments until we've reach a more ideal schedule?

I can't say with 100% certainty but their 3rd eye their periatial gland helps them know "sun time" I think they know more than we actually know.. Yea that would be the way to adjust the timers. She's fine lol It makes sense that you would want her schedule more to when you are awake/asleep however you really can't change nature ya know.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
You are right about that. And since you have mentioned it, it actually makes sense. They know when it is time to brumate despite being in captivity. So I can see how they would also have an instinct to know how late/early in the day it is.

We will slowly work on getting her on a better time schedule.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I'm cool with changing the schedule, but hate to fool with that timer it's so confusing!! Lol

I find the timers really confusing, too. I make my boyfriend adjust them since he figured it out :)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I agree with the others. I would mimic a normal day night cycle and get her on a normal track. I found with my dragons that as long as there isn't a light shining over their head, they can sleep just fine. They are in our game room so sometimes the boyfriend is in there way past their bed time playing video games. Going to bed that early could be a sign of brummation though. Mine started doing that before they went in their hides to sleep.

I actually found that the analog timers are easier to use than the digital ones LOL! Oh and if you get a timer from a pet store, check out the ones in the aquarium section. Zoomed makes a aquatic timer and a reptile timer, same timer on the aquatic one is $10 cheaper!

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thanks you guys. We are working slowly to get her in a better routine. She's such a spoiled little thing that really loves her beauty sleep lol.

Brumation is what I am thinking too :/ up until recently she was always active until shortly after her lights cut out, ate like a pig, and pooped every day. Now she is active for a few hours but wants to go to sleep much earlier, eats much less, and poops every 3-4days.

We did weight her and surprisingly she actually gained 10grams. I have no idea how that happened but I'm glad she didn't lose any.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Ok guys so all is going well now, no more compulsive gulping. She's still behaving like she is partially brumating which no longer concerns me since she seems overall healthy. And we are working on a better schedule for her just as suggested.

Now it's like she can not poop on her own? I know her routine so well, she always jumps off of her log in the same spot and in about 5-10min we have a mess to clean up. Well lately she jumps down and will sit there for about an hour before giving up and going back to bask. Today I caught her with her tail up trying to poop but nothing came out. I gave her a syringe full of probiotic, water, and a drop of olive oil. Shortly after she went. The issue is I'm having to do this every 3-4 days just to help her go. I'm not sure why she's not able to go on her own all of a sudden.

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
:( I wish I had an answer on this one.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
:( I wish I had an answer on this one.

:(
Do you think it could be brumation related?
If this continues we will go ahead and make a vet appointment just to make sure everything is okay. It just seems to be one thing right after another,poor little girl :/

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
:(
Do you think it could be brumation related?
If this continues we will go ahead and make a vet appointment just to make sure everything is okay. It just seems to be one thing right after another,poor little girl :/

I really don't know on this one..

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
This certainly is a tough one. Do her poops look healthy after you give her the syringe full of probiotics, water and oil? It's not out of the realm of possibility that it's brumation related, but straining and not being able to go is odd. You could always email or call the vet to pick their brain. I do it all the time, I'm sure they're probably sick of hearing from me haha.

Receptionist: We have another email from that short blond reptile lady.

Doctor: Good God, what is it now?

Those poor people haha. Sometimes they can help over the phone without scheduling a visit. And if it's as bizarre to the vet as it is to us, they'll just schedule you in and go from there.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
When she does poop is the urate hard? If she's struggling to poop but then poops after a syringe of water, it sounds like dehydration. Maybe offer just plain water a few times a day.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
We are definitely going to give the vet a ring. Our reptile vet is out of office until Thursday so we plan to call back than and see if he has any advice. Until than I may reach out to the vet tech since she's usually more helpful than the actual vet lol.

Patsy, her urate isn't exactly hard but it has been pinkish at the top. Her eyes are also looking a little sunken in again like she is dehydrated :/ I just don't understand we offer water via dropper pretty often throughout the day and she usually will not lick any drops. I've also not once seen her drink from her bath water

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Sounds like your stubborn little gal is dehydrated.

Latest posts