• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

General food/inventory question

AdamF

Hatchling Dragon
Picking up my 3 month old tomorrow. If I stick to mostly salad in the mornings, and protein in the evenings. Can someone post a guideline for how many bugs he/she will eat per day? I am picking up some breeding dubias, but should I keep super worms, bsfl available as well. All suggestions welcome

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Picking up my 3 month old tomorrow. If I stick to mostly salad in the mornings, and protein in the evenings. Can someone post a guideline for how many bugs he/she will eat per day? I am picking up some breeding dubias, but should I keep super worms, bsfl available as well. All suggestions welcome
You need to feed bugs 2 - 3 times per day - 2 for sure - that is the main diet but you want the dragon eating some salads even if its only a few bites - please get some BSFL www.symtonbsf.com - try medium size DO NOT DUST they are a great staple feeder for babies - put them on the top of his / her salad use as many as you want - the movement is going to get him / her to that bowl https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
Roaches are the best to use for the bowl - and they are a better staple feeder as well easier to keep too - make sure the insect is no bigger than the space between his / her eyes length wise www.dubiaroaches.com --- if you can get some super worms medium size from dubia roaches get them but only feed like 1-3 on top of the salads every other day or so -- hes going to eat like 10-15 roaches depending on how many BSFL you feed him - feed the salads and the BSFL first thing in the morning then about an hr later feed him/ her the roaches --- then offer a second insect feeding in the afternoon DO NOT DUST the second feeding only ONCE per feeding of the calcium D3 5 x per week on the insects - 2 x per week vitamins w/ beta carotene ONCE per feeding -- make sure you have correct UVB NO coils and correct basking temps 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer ---- NO colored bulbs NO heat rocks or heat mats ---- NO sand --- his eating will be off as hes going to go thru relocation stress --- he should be eating a little if he completely stops there is a issue --- if you need anymore help please ask

AdamF

Hatchling Dragon
You need to feed bugs 2 - 3 times per day - 2 for sure - that is the main diet but you want the dragon eating some salads even if its only a few bites - please get some BSFL www.symtonbsf.com - try medium size DO NOT DUST they are a great staple feeder for babies - put them on the top of his / her salad use as many as you want - the movement is going to get him / her to that bowl https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
Roaches are the best to use for the bowl - and they are a better staple feeder as well easier to keep too - make sure the insect is no bigger than the space between his / her eyes length wise www.dubiaroaches.com --- if you can get some super worms medium size from dubia roaches get them but only feed like 1-3 on top of the salads every other day or so -- hes going to eat like 10-15 roaches depending on how many BSFL you feed him - feed the salads and the BSFL first thing in the morning then about an hr later feed him/ her the roaches --- then offer a second insect feeding in the afternoon DO NOT DUST the second feeding only ONCE per feeding of the calcium D3 5 x per week on the insects - 2 x per week vitamins w/ beta carotene ONCE per feeding -- make sure you have correct UVB NO coils and correct basking temps 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer ---- NO colored bulbs NO heat rocks or heat mats ---- NO sand --- his eating will be off as hes going to go thru relocation stress --- he should be eating a little if he completely stops there is a issue --- if you need anymore help please ask
Already have most of what you have described (have read your prior posts). I bought a veggie/salad mix with peppers, celery, broccoli, radish, carrots, jicama and cabbage. Do I dust salad when given with BSFL? Should I try to feed him first night, or wati til morning?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Already have most of what you have described (have read your prior posts). I bought a veggie/salad mix with peppers, celery, broccoli, radish, carrots, jicama and cabbage. Do I dust salad when given with BSFL? Should I try to feed him first night, or wati til morning?
Please do not feed the broccoli radishes cabbage or celery- you want greens like collard turnip mustard kale - do not dust the salads or the BSFL they are calcium enriched -- wait till morning

Jrodkw

Hatchling Dragon
Sadie is correct... protein from crickets or Dubias at least twice per day until they are a year old. But broccoli is just fine as long as it's not the only green.
Broccoli, mustard greens, kale, bell peppers, (carrots sparingly), bits of green beans.
***NO: lettuce, celery, cabbage, Avacados, or citrus***
You can feed collard greens but I have yet to see a dragon actually enjoy them.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sadie is correct... protein from crickets or Dubias at least twice per day until they are a year old. But broccoli is just fine as long as it's not the only green.
Broccoli, mustard greens, kale, bell peppers, (carrots sparingly), bits of green beans.
***NO: lettuce, celery, cabbage, Avacados, or citrus***
You can feed collard greens but I have yet to see a dragon actually enjoy them.
Dragons have their certain taste for greens - most dragons I know eat collards over other - it is something you need to try w/the dragon --- broccoli tends to give upset stomachs and do not recommend

AdamF

Hatchling Dragon
Picked new one up Saturday. 3 months old. Ate a few pcs of kale, and some meal worms, sunday AM and today. Ate 12 crickets sunday PM. Has pooped only once that I can find (good poop). Lights are great, temps are great. Is this unusual?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Picked new one up Saturday. 3 months old. Ate a few pcs of kale, and some meal worms, sunday AM and today. Ate 12 crickets sunday PM. Has pooped only once that I can find (good poop). Lights are great, temps are great. Is this unusual?
He should be pooping every day for a dragon that young- make sure hes hydrated and your not feeding insects too big for him or he will become impacted ---- insects need to be the size of no bigger than the space between the eyes length wise --- NO meal worms please - too much of a risk for impaction --- I think we went over lighting already correct??

AdamF

Hatchling Dragon
Was actually small superworms, not meal worms. Dubia's and BSFL arriving tomorrow. There is a water bowl in enclosure, but humidity is low. Should I mist?

AdamF

Hatchling Dragon
He should be pooping every day for a dragon that young- make sure hes hydrated and your not feeding insects too big for him or he will become impacted ---- insects need to be the size of no bigger than the space between the eyes length wise --- NO meal worms please - too much of a risk for impaction --- I think we went over lighting already correct??
Just ate another dozen crickets. All appropriately sized.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Was actually small superworms, not meal worms. Dubia's and BSFL arriving tomorrow. There is a water bowl in enclosure, but humidity is low. Should I mist?
You can or drop water on his nose- is he eating salads - those will give him lots of moisture- make sure you rinse greens before serving- how low is humidity? Hygrometer should be in the middle of the tank back center wall- that will read the whole tank--- and I would be using a digital probe one-

AdamF

Hatchling Dragon
Just ate another dozen crickets. All appropriately sized.

You can or drop water on his nose- is he eating salads - those will give him lots of moisture- make sure you rinse greens before serving- how low is humidity? Hygrometer should be in the middle of the tank back center wall- that will read the whole tank--- and I would be using a digital probe one-
Using digital probe in back center. Humidity is 35%. He will eagerly consume a few pieces of kale, I just don't know how much he should be consuming. He also ate a few pieces of shredded carrots. Just trying to figure out what 'normal' looks like.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Using digital probe in back center. Humidity is 35%. He will eagerly consume a few pieces of kale, I just don't know how much he should be consuming. He also ate a few pieces of shredded carrots. Just trying to figure out what 'normal' looks like.
Humidity is good- and he's eating a little of the kale and carrots he's doing good-- when you get the BSFL put them on top of his salads- I would start adding variety of greens collards turnip and dandelion - put the BSFL on top in front of him so he sees them take a couple and hand feed him then put some on the salad that will hand tame him do it consistently

AdamF

Hatchling Dragon
Update. Ate plenty of kale this AM (no bugs), Moves well around the enclosure. Gave him 10 minute 95* bath with little tummy rub. Still no poop since Sunday.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Update. Ate plenty of kale this AM (no bugs), Moves well around the enclosure. Gave him 10 minute 95* bath with little tummy rub. Still no poop since Sunday.
Did you offer bugs? At 3 months he should be getting bugs 2-3 times per day dusted ONE time lightly coated

AdamF

Hatchling Dragon
Dubia's did not come in. Skipped the mealworms this AM based on advice here. Just ate 20 more crickets. He is getting bugs 2x per day, except today.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Dubia's did not come in. Skipped the mealworms this AM based on advice here. Just ate 20 more crickets. He is getting bugs 2x per day, except today.
Ok do not give him anymore meal worms -- they are to big of a risk for impaction- the chitlin on the meal worm is too harsh on the babies stomach and intestines

Hadenuffyet

Juvenile Dragon
My guy loves mustard greens, I put a large handful on his dish in the morning. That young, make sure greens are cut pretty small and offer a bunch. Greens are pretty cheap and really help with hydration. Mine eats half or so and finishes up between his lunch and dinner roach feedings.

Lovethemhappy

Bearded Dragon Egg
Sounds like you are doing ok. He is acclimating. Normal to be off for a few days. The soaks and water drops on his nose, either from your finger or a small mist bottle will probably work better than the bowl in the beginning (or always). Keep his insects smaller, maybe soak a little more in the beginning, and keep up the good work with the greens. Sounds like he is doing well in his new place already.

AdamF

Hatchling Dragon
Sounds like you are doing ok. He is acclimating. Normal to be off for a few days. The soaks and water drops on his nose, either from your finger or a small mist bottle will probably work better than the bowl in the beginning (or always). Keep his insects smaller, maybe soak a little more in the beginning, and keep up the good work with the greens. Sounds like he is doing well in his new place already.
Thank you. He/She pooped 2x (hooray?). Dubia's tonight! Anyone have tips on best way to collect dubias quickly fro amongst the egg cartons?