• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

freshly molted male hisser

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I thought that was universal... regardless how handy a feeder they happen to be.
Janie

Stephanie is a Rockstar

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I couldn't do roaches... I wasn't fond of crickets at first, but got over that. A loss cricket in my house won't last... Parker the cat is a master cricket masher, lol

valkryja

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Awww! I hate roaches to the point of terror, but that is one adorable little bugger ya got there. Don't fed him to the dragon, just look at how sad he looks!

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I am still trying to think that it may be cute. And then I picture them running loose through the house and it stops me!!! Seriously!!! Please someone answer this for me because I always find crickets in the corners in this house. I even find supers in the basement!! HOW do you keep these things from running loose? I have this really big fear that I would be having company and a roach would walk across the floor or climb a wall!!!Can they climb a wall? I am torn because I think they would probably be a good food source for my guys!!! But I just can't seem to get past the fact that roaches can infest a house!!! Is this a valid fear? What if the dog or a cat knocked over a container. Which has happened before. Could these things take over?

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
dubias don't climb smooth surfaces. And if you keep the screened lid on the bin, chances are you won't find them dashing about, instilling terror and panic in you.
Now, should you drop one while sorting and feeding.. you probably will find it, legs in air, within 48 hours.
Sure Hope this Helps ! Sweet dreams !
Janie

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
So....like a cricket they don't live long if they escape? Even if it's a female? She won't go off and lay a bunch of eggs and little baby roaches won't be everywhere. I know this sounds so silly to some of you but I am asking you seriously!! I am pretty adventurous and like to try new things but a house full of roaches would put me over the edge!! I think I posted this before but we lived in Texas when I was younger and they bombed the garage and a bunch of roaches ran into the house. I spent one night killing them. I started setting off bombs and they came out from everywhere. They fell from the ceiling onto my hair and I was sweeping them up by the dustpan full. I washed every dish in the house!! I was 14 at the time so this is something that made an impression on me!!! It was just horrible!!! But the idea of a new food for my beardies to try and maybe eat keeps calling those roaches back for consideration!!! Just need to overcome this fear of infestation!!!

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Vesta said:
So....like a cricket they don't live long if they escape? Even if it's a female? She won't go off and lay a bunch of eggs and little baby roaches won't be everywhere. I know this sounds so silly to some of you but I am asking you seriously!! I am pretty adventurous and like to try new things but a house full of roaches would put me over the edge!! I think I posted this before but we lived in Texas when I was younger and they bombed the garage and a bunch of roaches ran into the house. I spent one night killing them. I started setting off bombs and they came out from everywhere. They fell from the ceiling onto my hair and I was sweeping them up by the dustpan full. I washed every dish in the house!! I was 14 at the time so this is something that made an impression on me!!! It was just horrible!!! But the idea of a new food for my beardies to try and maybe eat keeps calling those roaches back for consideration!!! Just need to overcome this fear of infestation!!!

so long as the temp in your home isnt a steady 80F+ and high humidity you will be fine. Females require high humidity and temps to successfully hatch their babies. If the temps are not good she will abort the egg sac. And when not in a high humidity and well heated environment they tend to die off. It may take longer than 2 days though as I had one female that go lose from my Dubia colony and I found her a little over a week later still kicking (slightly lol).

Dubia are the least "creepy" of the roach feeder family as far as I am concerned. The adults will skeev you out at first but you will adjust quickly to them.

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks that's what I needed to hear!!! Might wait until Fall to give it a try!! Just to make certain my temps are cool enough in the upstairs!!

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Vesta said:
Thanks that's what I needed to hear!!! Might wait until Fall to give it a try!! Just to make certain my temps are cool enough in the upstairs!!
you can always invest in getting a cat lol no escapee lasts long with my cat around...but on a more serious note, i have found that the material in most rubbermaid brand containers is rough enough for most to climb but the sterilites work like a charm so that may help too ANNDDD if you have a chance to get spare weatherstrip from a car, line the top of your bin with it so theres no gap between the lid and bin so if something climbs it cant get out

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
beardielover17 said:
Vesta said:
you can always invest in getting a cat lol no escapee lasts long with my cat around...but on a more serious note, i have found that the material in most rubbermaid brand containers is rough enough for most to climb but the sterilites work like a charm so that may help too ANNDDD if you have a chance to get spare weatherstrip from a car, line the top of your bin with it so theres no gap between the lid and bin so if something climbs it cant get out
And I use vaseline on both my colonies (hissers can climb but dubia cant but both colonies get vaseline around the top 5 inches of their enclosure so no one comes out to party)

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ha.. bet they have a tiny disco ball and climb one on top of the other to turn on the cd player when you is napping..
Janie ;)

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
zebraflavencs said:
Ha.. bet they have a tiny disco ball and climb one on top of the other to turn on the cd player when you is napping..
Janie ;)
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Stephanie is a Rockstar said:
zebraflavencs said:
Janie ;)

This could be the next Disney movie...

"Disco Roaches"!!

:mad: Do not poke the crazy person in the corner it only illicits more tomfoolery ;D

Stephanie is a Rockstar

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
crypticdragons said:
zebraflavencs said:
Janie ;)

"Disco Roaches"!!

:mad: Do not poke the crazy person in the corner it only illicits more tomfoolery ;D

::poke poke poke poke::

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
crypticdragons said:
zebraflavencs said:
Janie ;)

"Disco Roaches"!!

::poke poke poke poke::

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
well either that.. or don't play with someone with more imagination than you have ;)
*giggles*
ohhh I like the whip thing, Bri...
Janie

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
zebraflavencs said:
*giggles*
ohhh I like the whip thing, Bri...
Janie

Well I know we are all friendly here but geez Janie don't you think thats a little too friendly? ;)

Latest posts