• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

First time beardie owner

mattsdaddy45

Bearded Dragon Egg
Well I have made my enclosure it is about 4ft long 22" deep and tall heating is good uvb equipped any advise or comments would be loved I am going to get him/her in about two to three weeks when they are big enough to be sold...thank you
uploadfromtaptalk1426545214252.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1426545234808.jpg

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Is it a coil? Coil bulbs in the past have been associated with eye problems. I think they have gotten better over the years but the thing about UVB is you want it to be able to cover at least 2/3's of your tank. Unfortunately with a dome light and a coil you are only going to have UVB in a concentrated area.

mattsdaddy45

Bearded Dragon Egg
It is a ceramic heat admitted and a basking and a night time heat bulb for the coil side and the uvb it the white tube hanging in back it is 2 foot bulb

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I see it now. You only need nighttime heating if your tank temp gets below 65 degrees. If it drops below that, the CHE will help boost it. Also, is there enough airflow through the tank? I've seen other custom builds that have vents in the sides to help the air circulate more.

mattsdaddy45

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok well I'm having problems with the heating with just the basking and night time the surface temp is approx. 90f and the cool side is almost the same I don't know what to do....if I take the night bulb off I figure it will drop it too much that's why I haven't tried it

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Are you measuring the temp at the bottom of the tank? You don't have any decor in the tank yet you can get a basking rock or stick that is going to get him up higher to the light to get the proper temps. Another thing about the UVB...a 5.0 is for tropical animals, you want to get a 10.0 for desert dwellers. also the UVB light might be too far away from your dragon.

mattsdaddy45

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yea I am going to go get a piece of drift wood and I have a his and the pic was from right when I finished it I have a little half log for a hide and yes I was measuring it at the bottom of tank

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
90 degrees at the bottom isn't bad. Once you get the drift wood in there the basking spot is probably going to be good.

mattsdaddy45

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok that's what I wanted to hear thank you so much....another thing any ideas on a hammock since I can't very well just suction it to the wood lol

mattsdaddy45

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok so I need to cool it down a bit lol....because it is running about The same as the hot side for some reason

Latest posts