• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Feeder Cost and more

ilovebeardies

Juvenile Dragon
Guys I am debating on what to feed as the main source of protein, right now I am feeding large crickets and the occasional super worm with veggies however. The crickets are driving me nuts. Any ideas on a cost effective protein for them, as a for instance it cost me 20.00 for 200 crickets and 4.99 for 50 super worms at local pet store. Any suggestions of online ordering sites that are cost effective would be greatly appreciated! :D

monkeybumpz

Juvenile Dragon
I just started my budget roach colony
uploadfromtaptalk1402112220939.jpg

ilovebeardies

Juvenile Dragon
See I am a freak when it comes to bugs and I mean even lightening bugs! I hate them! So I am very meticulous with getting my crickets I use like 10 inch tongues the bags from the pet store I can't touch them or anything or I will freak so. I can't imagine evvveerrrr having roaches in my house even with the tongs. I know I'm lame but I'm a girl so...yeah lol anywho worms not really a big deal tongues work fine no jumping etc. Plus I'm pretty sure my fam would not be happy with roaches in the house

Elemental Dragon Lord

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Roaches are easy, you have to put in the cardboard egg creates anyways. Put on gloves, grab a cardboard crate, bang it on the side once or twice then put it back. You never get close to them.

ilovebeardies

Juvenile Dragon
I don't touch the egg crates I wait till they go in the paper towel roll haha but I will look into it would possibly try if I could keep them outside, I live in Ohio only place you can have all four seasons in one day lol. I'll research the breeding requirements etc.

monkeybumpz

Juvenile Dragon
I actually found someone local to me selling them as feeders and I asked if he had males and females for sale and he said yes. He gave me a good deal. I got 18 females, 8 males and 50 small/medium nymphs for $20, I lucked out.

ilovebeardies

Juvenile Dragon
Wow nice! Yeah I don't know anyone around where I'm at that actually sell feeders besides the pet store so I'm stuck paying an arm and a leg :(

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Roaches are the way to go. I don't love the idea of breeding them either but they really are superior. A good set of tongs will be your best friend :)

monkeybumpz

Juvenile Dragon
I've ordered from doodle bug critter before. A breeder set. I think they sell a complete kit and also small ones if you don't want a huge colony

will_him_is

Juvenile Dragon
I payed 45-50 for 500 off ebay from a company called the Invert Shop. http://theinvertshop.com They actually sent 600. 1/4 to 1/2.. I would say 99% live arrival and in that size range. Took 3 days to get from Oregon, they are really easy to handle compared to crickets, and easy to catch for the beardies. Especially these little beardies. You can feed em out of a cup

Latest posts