• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Exo-Terra 36x18x18 weight

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Does anyone know how much an Exo-Terra 36x18x18 weighs and how much weight it can hold? I'm finally getting around to putting tile in Luci's tank and it looks so nice (and cleaning up the poop this morning was so easy) that I am going to do Dexter's too. So after going to Menard's and buying 18 pounds of tile this morning and walking 1 mile home with it, I realized I never checked to see if it can 1. hold the extra weight and 2. If my shelving unit will hold.

:oops:

It was also time to change out their UVB bulbs so I bit the bullet and changing everything out and getting the T5 HO lights and fixtures. It's their early birthday presents ;)

Tyler_Vance

Juvenile Dragon
If the glass is sitting on a flat surface I think you're okay, does your shelving have a center support bar in the middle? As Long as it's at lest 1/4" wood I also think you're okay. 18 pounds isn't all that much especially if it's spread into 3'

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Thanks guys. The shelves are one of those wire shelving units and each shelf holds 350 pounds so I think we will be good there! I already spread them out in Luci's tank and it seems ok. I just worry about hese things. :rolleyes:

Tyler_Vance

Juvenile Dragon
Trust but verify Is always my motto if I at all feel uncertain about something I get another opinion

Tyler_Vance

Juvenile Dragon
If you do any work make sure you have a supervisor

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414283460.911946.jpg

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Ha, love it! Luci actually climbed back in his tank while I was woring on it so he sat on his hammock and watched.

So I took Dexter's basking stick out because she wasn't using it and we'll she was getting to too big for it. With her I took the less is more approach. The ledge I actually moved closer to the floor so she can easily climb to it.
20141025_164656.jpg
With Luci I left his decor as is for now. Each has some gaps between the tiles but I'm going leave it for now to see how they do. Their new lights come Monday.
20141025_164731.jpg

Tyler_Vance

Juvenile Dragon
I LOVE the new UVB lights!
View attachment 10761 Luci

View attachment 10762 Dexter

Are the exoterras difficult to manage temps?
And I was thinking of helping the airflow in the big one I built by making two rather big rectangle cut outs on top and putting vents. Like 8"x12" but I don't want to lose the ability to hold in heat. But it would let it breathe way better and hopefully keep that smell of the silicone away. I scraped it all out the other night

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
It's not really difficult to manage temps once you get it it right. I like a tank that I can see in from all angles and I like the 2 doors in the front that open. The only downside is there's no mounting anything inside the tank so everything is sitting on the mesh. The T5 fixtures are super thin so I need to check and make sure they aren't melting the plastic on top. I may have to to prop them up with something.

Unless your room is super cold I don't think having the extra vents would hurt.

Tyler_Vance

Juvenile Dragon
It's not really difficult to manage temps once you get it it right. I like a tank that I can see in from all angles and I like the 2 doors in the front that open. The only downside is there's no mounting anything inside the tank so everything is sitting on the mesh. The T5 fixtures are super thin so I need to check and make sure they aren't melting the plastic on top. I may have to to prop them up with something.

Unless your room is super cold I don't think having the extra vents would hurt.
I will probably make that quick adjustment just to help assure that the cage is breathing and the smell isn't there

Tyler_Vance

Juvenile Dragon
I just wanted to let you know took apart the cage and scraped the silicone off all the sides and put it back together! And only cut one finger with the razor blade

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I drilled two more holes on top and it's still there

Ugh! That sucks. I don't know what else to you could do. I'm always cleaning my house so the first thing that comes to mind is wiping it out with baking soda and vinegar but I'm not sure that would work with melamine. What was the exact sealant you used? I can shoot my brother an email and see if he has any suggestions, he'll want to know the exact name of the sealant and brand. He's a cabinet builder that unfortunately for me lives in another state so we can't get together and build bearded dragon enclosures. A few years ago he built a fish tank out of some scraps of corian they had at work.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
He said it should have completely cured afer 48 hours. The only thing he could think of was to wipe the joints down with naptha, let it completely dry and then cook it with a small heater or heat lamp.

Is it a vinegar like smell?

Tyler_Vance

Juvenile Dragon
He said it should have completely cured afer 48 hours. The only thing he could think of was to wipe the joints down with naptha, let it completely dry and then cook it with a small heater or heat lamp.

Is it a vinegar like smell?

I thought it would have too, it's been over a week with both trying the light off and fan on and the the basking light on with fan on. And then taking it apart and scraping everything off and putting it back together and fan on and now light on haha.

I guess you can compare it to vinegar, I happen to have some in my room haha. But the silicone also smells just like that

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I asked about the vinegar smell because that's what my brother said it probably smells like. I don't think odor can stain wood. Sniff some coffee beans, it will reset your nose. Sometimes when we smell something enough, we think it's always there. When I clean my frog bowls, sometimes I will use a diluted bleach mixture and rinse, rinse, rinse, but I still smell the bleach. I have to have someone else smell it for me to make sure that I got it all out.

Latest posts