• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Do people in florida not feed roaches?

drgnfly2265

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
you know people will be people i suppose but i know for a fact I have seen it somewhere that a big name dubia breeder was shipping to FL as well, just can't remember for the life of me who it was, oh well.
I'm sure that there are some out there that do. I had someone contact me after they seen a post of mine on another beardie site saying that I wish I could use roaches. They messaged me and said that they would ship them to me. I told them that I couldn't have them shipped because it's illegal and they responded that they would do it if I would buy a bulk amount. I guess it's all about the money to them... But I really don't want to get busted and get into trouble just for a bunch of roaches, lol.

jessica domke

Juvenile Dragon
i also live in florida, as everyone else said, it's illegal to ship roaches to us unfortunately! but silkworms & phoenix worms are available & very easy to care for. plus my beardie loves em!!!!! especially phoenix worms :D

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just as an FYI, this is a PM quote from a Vet in Florida that I received, when I questioned her about the legality of Discoids there.
Several species of roaches are illegal to keep in Florida but discoids are legal. Some breeders still choose not to ship here, probably because it takes a knowledgable person to tell discoid nymphs from illegal species, and they don't want any trouble. But discoids are 100% legal.

I need to dig up the FWC literature, but that's where I found that they are not included on the illegal roach list. There is differing information on the net, mostly within the reptile community, but I found the literature and will try to find it again.
When & if she comes up with the legal literature, I will repost it here.

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just as an FYI, this is a PM quote from a Vet in Florida that I received, when I questioned her about the legality of Discoids there.
When & if she comes up with the legal literature, I will repost it here.
Very Cool! Thanx Germ.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I did a little searching myself, this should answer it. It is not illegal to keep Discoids, but is to ship to Florida from out of State without a permit.
Permits are required for all regulated organisms brought into Florida from out of state. No permits are needed for native Florida species (except for species listed as Endangered or Threatened) or naturalized species that are obtained from in-state sources. This includes, but is not restricted to, the following organisms:
Crustacea:
Decapoda: Coenobitidae:
Coenobita clypeata – Caribbean hermit crab
Insecta:
Blattoidea: All native or naturalized Florida species of cockroaches.
Blaberidae:
Blaberus craniifer – death’s head roach
Blaberus discoidalis – discoid roach
Panchlora nivea – green banana or Cuban roach
Blatellidae:
Blatella asahinai – Asian roach
Source: Guidelines for Importing Exotic and Non-Florida U.S. Arthropods

From: Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services - Entomology, Nematology and Plant Pathology

Hope this helps clarify some of the misconceptions ;).

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My Email & Reply, sent prior to finding the previous posted information ...
Discoid roaches are permitted in Florida as feeder roaches. As far as shipping them to other states goes, you would have to apply for a federal PPQ 526 permit. I'm away from my computer at the moment but I can send you that link later this week.

Greg
Mobile Message:
Dr. Greg Hodges
FDACS/Division of Plant Industry
Bureau Chief
Entomology,Nematology. And Plant Pathology
(352-372-3505 X 118
[email protected]

Please note that Florida has a broad public records law (Chapter 119, Florida Statutes). Most written communications to or from employees are public records obtainable by the public upon request. Emails sent to me at this email address may be considered public and will only be withheld from disclosure if deemed confidential pursuant to the laws of the State of Florida.

Sent: Sunday, February 19, 2012 02:56 PM
To: Hodges, Greg
Subject: Legalities of keeping & shipping Blaberus Discoidales Cockroaches In/to/from Florida
Hi Greg,

I keep running into conflicting information on the legalities of keeping &/or breeding & the shipping to & from other States, Discoid (Blaberus Discoidales) Cockroaches in the State of Florida. Could you possibly shed some definite light on the subject.

Specifically:

1- Is it legal to have Discoid Cockroaches shipped to Florida from other States for the purpose of feeding Reptiles?

2- Is it legal to keep & breed Discoid Cockroaches for the purpose of feeding Reptiles in the State of Florida?

3- Is it legal to ship Discoid Cockroaches to other States from Florida?

If this email is being sent to the wrong Department, could you please direct it to the Proper authorities to get a definite correct answer, or reply with the email of the authority who can.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
Germain

cybercat

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I would check the Fl herb shows. Most clubs have a show monthly there. I use to live in FL went to them all the time. You will be able to buy feeders there of many types. Also look into the small superworms and butter worms besides silkies and phoenix.

Latest posts