• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Do people in florida not feed roaches?

Matt

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi,

I live in florida and I'm preparing for my first dragon. I know most commercial bug breeders don't ship roaches to Fl. I had a roach colony before when I had a collection of tarantulas many years ago...I'm not a fan of crickets at all, is there other options instead of crickets for a baby dragon?

I know the meal worms have a harder shell and would probably be too big. Are wax worms an option and if they are what is the difficulty in breeding a colony?

thanks!

jessicap

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
My little guy loves reptiworms, they are small and have no shell. Not sure about breeding them but I am in Wisconsin so have a roach colony started along with a superworm colony. Using the reptiworms for him now until he gets bigger. Waxworms have a high phosphorus content, silkworms or the phoenix(reptiworms) would be a better choice for everyday eating. Here is a great link to check out : http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.htm Gives the nutritional content of different foods. Good Luck!

Spikeleebd

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
yes roaches are illegal due to the fact that almost any kind of species can survive in florida especially it being a tropical roach and florida is tropical they would never have to go in hiding because the temps are just right and with dubias around their would be all kinds of new infestations other than monitors, snakes, and iguanas , oh and also wild bores i feel bad for florida . ohio maybe small but it gets really cold. i use to live in texas and i think that roaches were illegal too

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Now I have to go digging. I think discoids are native to florida. Dammit Jeff I dont have time for curiosity.....lol
If discoids are native to Florida like I think they can be bred for food. However shipping is its own set of regulations.

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Now I have to go digging. I think discoids are native to florida. Dammit Jeff I dont have time for curiosity.....lol
If discoids are native to Florida like I think they can be bred for food. However shipping is its own set of regulations.
They are native 2 Florida & could b collected & colonized but I have read that is illegal as well. Like mentioned above, ANYTHING can thrive hear & does. Not long ago, they found a python that died with a 6 ft. gator inside of it down in the Everglades. Too many species not native 2 Florida are being introduced to the state & it's jacking up the Ecosystem. Unfortunately we don't get a wide selection of feeders in the Sunshine state.

Matt

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Yea, that sucks. Florida does have a lot of invasive species. I was able to get piranhas shipped to my house without issue so I was hoping to find a roach colony, maybe the next herp convention I can find some. Are there any options other than crickets or roaches for a staple food? In another post someone said the phoenix worms, but they are difficult to breed and expensive. Basically if needed I will breed crickets, I can always feed the load ones to my tarantulas...but I would prefer anything over them. Right now I only buy a few dozen a week, sometimes less so there is no need to breed em.

Matt

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Yea I found a seller (georgiacrickets.com) and I did Google them the (hornworms), I wasn't able to find answers to a few question I had though.

1. Are they going to be too big for 5" beardies? I read they get over 2" in few weeks...
2. Is the horn a concern for impaction?

I bought 2 5" sandfire x beardies that will be arriving not this Saturday but next Saturday, I need to find a good staple protein I can culture. I'd prefer roaches but that seems out and I hate crickets but maybe it would be the best option for the dragons.

drgnfly2265

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I just seen this thread, lol.

I live in central Florida and I have tried to order any feeder roach that I could when my two were juvies but I found out that they are illegal. If anyone is shipping them then they are doing it against the law. So I used reptiworms as their feeder. I loved using reptiworms. They are soooooo easy ;)

socalroaches

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
you know people will be people i suppose but i know for a fact I have seen it somewhere that a big name dubia breeder was shipping to FL as well, just can't remember for the life of me who it was, oh well.

Latest posts