• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Diet beyond crickets

Tessa

Juvenile Dragon
I'm about to go to petsmart to get more food for Sosa. He's about 6 1/2 inches right now. I've only offered him crickets and his fruits/veggies thus far. What insects can I get live from petsmart for him besides small crickets? And how do they compare in price to the crickets? The guy mentioned meal worms last time and said I could freeze them? But I want live bugs. I saw super worms but I don't think he's quite ready for those yet. Thanks!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Crickets, dubia roaches, superworms, butterworms, waxworms, silkworms, hornworms are all good, some are treats as they are high in fats

don't do mealworms they have hard shells that contain alot of chitlin that is super hard to digest.
Petsmart and Petco usually have crickets, superworms they do have small/med supers, butterworms, waxworms, dubia's they are back where the lizards are and in the fridge

What I've experienced is they write the date on the bottom of the container hint hint look for the most recent date usually at the back...dang I'm giving all the hints away lol and open the containers and check them for the best looking ones.. Waxworms don't like to be as cold as butterworms so they usually don't look good from them unless they are a new batch.. they should be cream not brown (almost dead and black dead)

Tessa

Juvenile Dragon
All they have out for display are crickets and supers. Is he old enough for supers?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Not all Petsmarts from what i've found carry dubias or worms
I have better luck at Petco they carry most of them

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hmm I will just have to ask I suppose
At petsmart their bugs are typically in the fish section
and at Petco they are back by the lizard section

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
try some dubia's they have small containers of 30 I believe they are about 8bucks

Tessa

Juvenile Dragon
Right, and on display they only have crickets and supers and I was told about meal worms in the back but it seems they're frozen. What age can I start feeding the different types of bugs?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I think petco also carries the soilder flies and a couple others I can't think of.. they are usually on a shelf by the roaches, cricket cafe's supers...Petsmart doesn't carry much

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Right, and on display they only have crickets and supers and I was told about meal worms in the back but it seems they're frozen. What age can I start feeding the different types of bugs?
Have you tried a petco?
you can try anything really get some supers and go thru and find the smaller ones they can bite thru them pretty easy

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
NOT at ALL!! they are edible all their lifespan soft shell
the ones you can get there are small ones anyways..about the size of a dime usually are in those tubs

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
They love chasing them down :) OMG when I gave Izzy some for the first time I thought she was going to eat herself into a frenzy she devoured them

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh I thought supers were too big!
some of them might be too big but usually there are different sizes in those tubs and well you'll never know just go slow

Latest posts