• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Also, i have been getting everything ready for my pets and i was wondering. For my 75 gallon beardie tank, Should i buy two 100 watt basking bulbs and put them on in two parts of the tank but leaving space for cool gradient, or just one basking light.
Hmm great question. I'm not sure. I have yet to move to a bigger tank as Dex is still a young juvenile. I'd be interested in knowing the answer, as well, for when Dex graduates to his bigger tank.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hmm great question. I'm not sure. I have yet to move to a bigger tank as Dex is still a young juvenile. I'd be interested in knowing the answer, as well, for when Dex graduates to his bigger tank.
You can move him to a bigger tank at 4-6mtnhs old. A small tank is stressful and stunts their growth. The recommended minimum for an adult 1yr or older is "120" Gallons. 2feet deep and 2feet high always plus either 4-6 feet long:)

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
You can move him to a bigger tank at 4-6mtnhs old. A small tank is stressful and stunts their growth. The recommended minimum for an adult 1yr or older is "120" Gallons. 2feet deep and 2feet high always plus either 4-6 feet long:)
Thanks! Right now he's 5 months and in a 40 gallon tank. He's fine for now. When he gets a little older I think I'm going straight to a 120 gallon tank and bypassing the 75.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Thanks! Right now he's 5 months and in a 40 gallon tank. He's fine for now. When he gets a little older I think I'm going straight to a 120 gallon tank and bypassing the 75.
That's perfect & make sure that the doors open in the front, easier for feeding & cleaning and remove poop asap & never leave food or water in there over nite. Beardie's will get parasites or bacteria. At night NO lights & NO colored bulbs ever; most people don't know this they like pure dark and quiet & colored bulbs burn their eyes; make sure u are feeding him his 2 fresh plates of STAPLE greens/veggies also otherwise when he's older he will never eat them. Mustard & collard Greens, dandelions, endives, yellow sqaush, butternut sqaush & snap peas. Those are the everyday BEST ones. I do 2 of each daily). Alongside the lots of proteins and try to feed the proteins at the same time evdery day. Feed only after an hour or two after basking and lights must remain on for 2hours after the last feeding. Mine wake up at 7:30 and eat at 9:30 u can start with a plate of veggies then 30min later the cricets then I fed at 1:30 then 5:30. Lights out between 8:30-9.

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
That's perfect & make sure that the doors open in the front, easier for feeding & cleaning and remove poop asap & never leave food or water in there over nite. Beardie's will get parasites or bacteria. At night NO lights & NO colored bulbs ever; most people don't know this they like pure dark and quiet & colored bulbs burn their eyes; make sure u are feeding him his 2 fresh plates of STAPLE greens/veggies also otherwise when he's older he will never eat them. Mustard & collard Greens, dandelions, endives, yellow sqaush, butternut sqaush & snap peas. Those are the everyday BEST ones. I do 2 of each daily). Alongside the lots of proteins and try to feed the proteins at the same time evdery day. Feed only after an hour or two after basking and lights must remain on for 2hours after the last feeding. Mine wake up at 7:30 and eat at 9:30 u can start with a plate of veggies then 30min later the cricets then I fed at 1:30 then 5:30. Lights out between 8:30-9.
Yeah, his tank now has the front opening doors and I like them. It definitely is easier to tend him. My bigger tank will have them too. :) I already know all the rest, but thanks for the refresher.

Spike23

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok, so he is moving to the new enclosure this friday. i have payed more attention to the diet and some more attention with handling (belly rubs). At first he only pooped white but after some struggling he finally had somewhat normal feces. I have asked around and the chances of parasites is low and is likely due to poor husbandry. finally spike is content and moving to a perfect enclosure. Thanks for the help!

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Glad to hear he's doing better! It was probably just poor husbandry-no need to start planning his funeral over a parasite that can't be diagnosed for certain without a fecal test. I would say to keep monitoring his poops until they've been normal consistency for a while-As weird as it sounds, I like to keep a "Poop Journal", where I track any changes in an animal's weight, feces, or behavior so I know what to keep an eye out for. It's quite useful!

Latest posts