• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Spike23

Bearded Dragon Egg
hi, i have had my bearded dragon for around 2 years now and he has been having diarrhea for the past 6 months. It was never a big concern since he never showed signs of being lethargic. He is an adult and lives in a 20 gallon, i acknowledge this is unacceptable and he gets to go outside everyday and run around. i will also be upgrading to a 75 gallon very soon. Anyways back on the topic, my beardie has had smelly runny poop recentky and he hasnt had contact with oarasitic insects. Here is a picture if his everyday poop. I dont have acces to a vet but i could upgrade lighting or any food recommended. he has a reptisun basking light and a uvb that has lasted for around 9 months. Someone please help i dont want my beardie to suffer.
EB796FF8-5779-40E2-A1D0-0DEF596DB366.jpeg

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
UVB lights continue to give off light long after the UVB in them dies out, which is why they must be replaced every 6 months. Depending on the brand you use, yours is likely no longer giving off UVB and must be replaced.
If he has been having issues for six months, it is most likely a parasite or illness and not a dietary change. Your best bet is to get a fecal test.

Please establish a relationship with a vet before you buy an animal, so that you're not struggling to find one when an emergency or issue comes up. If you do not have access to a vet, it's best to reconsider owning a pet at all. You can find a vet in your area here: https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I agree w/ Hooman --- get a fecal done and replace the UVB ASAP -- what bulb are you using --- brand and bulb - placement for these bulbs is crucial --- please NO coils

Spike23

Bearded Dragon Egg
yeah, i think i have taken decent care with the supplies i have, anyways i think i can get access to a vet. Can you explain how the uvb is connected to the fecal issues, just so i have a better understanding. and if i get one right now when will i start seeing the fecal problems go away.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
yeah, i think i have taken decent care with the supplies i have, anyways i think i can get access to a vet. Can you explain how the uvb is connected to the fecal issues, just so i have a better understanding. and if i get one right now when will i start seeing the fecal problems go away.
That UVB is crucial to your dragons over all health--- it promotes calcium digestion - it also deters alot of other health issues - ex RI and mbd

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
The fecal problems will not magically cure themselves if you get a good UVB, but your dragon's health and activity will improve quite a bit. The coil bulbs are bad because they do not give off enough UVB and it does not cover the whole tank, and they have been shown to damage reptile eyes. Until you get a fecal test, the cause of the diarrhea is unknown as of now and may not be directly related to the UVB.

Spike23

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks for the advice, im going to be getting a 75 gallon and recommendations on the heating? Because for uvb im going to use a reptisun 10.0 but im not sure how to set it up, whether i should tape it inside or get a fixture for it? Im going to the shop today for the temporary 20 gallon uvb.

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Thanks for the advice, im going to be getting a 75 gallon and recommendations on the heating? Because for uvb im going to use a reptisun 10.0 but im not sure how to set it up, whether i should tape it inside or get a fixture for it? Im going to the shop today for the temporary 20 gallon uvb.
You need to get a good-quality REFLECTOR fixture for the light to amplify UVB. The light should be anchored inside the tank. Depending on the fixture, you may be able to use zip ties or hooks. Tape will not work well.

Spike23

Bearded Dragon Egg
would it be possible to put it on top of the mesh, because the tank is going to be 16.5 inches high and i'm not sure if that's high enough to put inside.Do you think that is high enough? Or like i said before could i put the uvb fixture and bask ontop of the mesh?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
would it be possible to put it on top of the mesh, because the tank is going to be 16.5 inches high and i'm not sure if that's high enough to put inside.Do you think that is high enough? Or like i said before could i put the uvb fixture and bask ontop of the mesh?
Depends on the screen and bulb -- if you get a T 8 it will need to go inside the tank --- if your screen is a wide holed screen like a dime or similar too the T 5 can sit on the top --- distance and placement are key here w/ bulbs so please specify what your getting

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
UVB lights continue to give off light long after the UVB in them dies out, which is why they must be replaced every 6 months. Depending on the brand you use, yours is likely no longer giving off UVB and must be replaced.
If he has been having issues for six months, it is most likely a parasite or illness and not a dietary change. Your best bet is to get a fecal test.

Please establish a relationship with a vet before you buy an animal, so that you're not struggling to find one when an emergency or issue comes up. If you do not have access to a vet, it's best to reconsider owning a pet at all. You can find a vet in your area here: https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661.
I agree with Hooman about the possibility of parasites. My UVB light is only 3 months old and not quite ready to be replaced. My Dex just went through a bout of parasites. His poo looked like that. He had no contact with parasitic bugs either, I thought, but apparently even store bought crickets can carry and pass them along. My vet checked his poo, gave me medicine to give to him, and within 3 days he was almost back to his normal self, eating like a horse, and having more normal looking poos. Took almost a week before I noticed his poo wasn't runny like that.

Spike23

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok, so ive done some research and it turns out fecal tests are not an option in my area because they cost around 200$. So, i did some more digging and it turns out it could be because of the yellow squash i give him. I give him a lot more squash and kale than insects which is okay because 70% should be veggies. But the squash is a fruit, and i too much fruit is bad. He is never lethargic very active and smart. So i dont believe its parasites, and if he has them he has in low counts that are not the ones affecting his fecal matter. So is it possible that it's because of the squash?

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Ok, so ive done some research and it turns out fecal tests are not an option in my area because they cost around 200$. So, i did some more digging and it turns out it could be because of the yellow squash i give him. I give him a lot more squash and kale than insects which is okay because 70% should be veggies. But the squash is a fruit, and i too much fruit is bad. He is never lethargic very active and smart. So i dont believe its parasites, and if he has them he has in low counts that are not the ones affecting his fecal matter. So is it possible that it's because of the squash?
Yikes, sorry to hear that. I'm not sure. Hopefully experts can give you more info on the squash. My guy doesn't eat squash yet, so can't give any advice on that. His runny poo was due to parasites, unfortunately. Good news is that my guy was not eating and lethargic too, which doesn't sound like your baby. So it could be a good possibility. Careful on the kale, though. My vet recommended I not give Dex too much kale as it contains phosphorus and in large quantities can be harmful to beardies.

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Sometimes exotic pet stores will offer parasite and disease testing for a lot less than a vet. If you have a reputable exotics shop in your area, you can ask about it, and it will be available next time you have concerns. My store does testing for diseases and parasites for $50.

Spike23

Bearded Dragon Egg
Also, i have been getting everything ready for my pets and i was wondering. For my 75 gallon beardie tank, Should i buy two 100 watt basking bulbs and put them on in two parts of the tank but leaving space for cool gradient, or just one basking light.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
hi, i have had my bearded dragon for around 2 years now and he has been having diarrhea for the past 6 months. It was never a big concern since he never showed signs of being lethargic. He is an adult and lives in a 20 gallon, i acknowledge this is unacceptable and he gets to go outside everyday and run around. i will also be upgrading to a 75 gallon very soon. Anyways back on the topic, my beardie has had smelly runny poop recentky and he hasnt had contact with oarasitic insects. Here is a picture if his everyday poop. I dont have acces to a vet but i could upgrade lighting or any food recommended. he has a reptisun basking light and a uvb that has lasted for around 9 months. Someone please help i dont want my beardie to suffer.View attachment 23895
Hi Spike; my G-D first of all he needs a bigger tank ASAP. He’s an adult a 20gallom is way/way way to small that’s for a hatchling. Also the diarrhea is Coccidia-a very deadly parasite that lives in the tummy and is excreted in the poop with eggs. Google Coccidia; u need to burn the entire cage with Hot Water burn all his furniture in hot boiling water, throw out the hammock and get a new one after u take him to the vet. U need a fecal sample it’s $46 and they will give u 2 doses of ponzuril & u need to give those and keep clean for 4weeks. Then retest. Also DONOT let him walk anywhere that he’s walked need to burn with a pressure washer the entire outside that he walked on. Basically it’s like lice. U can also spray with 10parts water and 1 part bleach but really burn it and air it out to get all the bleach out. This is caused by dirty cages and enclosures; poop needs to be wiped instantly this is a lot of wrk ans can take months depending on how on it you are. Also he needs a zoomed clear basking bulb for heat ans the Reptisun 10.0 T5 for UVb the length of the uvb shoild cover 70percent of the tank. If u have the T8 Reptisun replace it every 6mnths and the T5 which is better & brighter u replace every 12mnths. GLuck basically burn the cage ans take him to a vet after Meds are given place him on the new tank. U can get a 40 gallon at petco or Petsmart for $170 with Ds that open in the front or order from zen habitats. But burn and clean ASAP but he needs a vet too

Wung Wady

Bearded Dragon Egg

Also, i have been getting everything ready for my pets and i was wondering. For my 75 gallon beardie tank, Should i buy two 100 watt basking bulbs and put them on in two parts of the tank but leaving space for cool gradient, or just one basking light.

Diarrhea and bearded dragons are most animals especially the smaller ones is never good. Just remember for them even a half a day of diarrhea is probably kind of us as humans having diarrhea for two weeks we will go to the doctor because it’s not usual so six months is way too long and definitely needs to see a vet as soon as possible. And yes the small tank and lighting is an issue you need to update and upgrade his habitat give me

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Diarrhea and bearded dragons are most animals especially the smaller ones is never good. Just remember for them even a half a day of diarrhea is probably kind of us as humans having diarrhea for two weeks we will go to the doctor because it’s not usual so six months is way too long and definitely needs to see a vet as soon as possible. And yes the small tank and lighting is an issue you need to update and upgrade his habitat give me
Spike No only one clear zoomed basking bulb on the hot side of the tank amd get a 100-150 wattage no colored bulbs ever!!! And the Reptisun 10.0 T5 for UVB

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Spike the beardie has Coccidia, take a fecal sample and drop it off to the vet ASAP for testing; he needs meds (Ponzuril) or it can be deadly. U need a lot of training still on beardies. They need UVB to absorb vitamin D & to breakdown the calcium & to have energy & strong bones. His crickets need to be dusted 4times a week with REPCAL calcium & Herptivite, u can combine both together just sprinkle it and shake it on the feeders in a ziplock bag once per day. Also HEAT is needed to digest the food and Without UVB they get MBD, which is metabolic bone disease, weak bones, & no energy.

Latest posts