• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Crocodile Skinks?

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
I think I'm going to make the leap and get a pair of crocodile skinks for Reggie's old cage. I've been looking online and the info for them is pretty limited. Anyone have a recommendation for the best care sheet? I think I've read them all (there's literally about 5 different ones), but some have info that conflicts with info from other care sheets.

Also, what's the best site to order? I've looked locally and found only one shop that has one, and they only have one. I can't find any info on local breeders, but the closer to San Antonio the better. Thanks for anyone that can help! :)

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
They look so cool! YouTube them and you will see! I plan on going all-out since they really like lots of cover in their enclosure. I'm getting withdrawals from keeping Reggie's tank so simple! :D

ianedward1

Hatchling Dragon
I had looked into them a while back and also noticed the lack of caresheets available. Also, there aren't really any real breeders. You may find a forum somewhere that someone had a pair that just ended up breeding on there own, but because of difficulty and that small market no one breeds them. The ones you find in stores are almost guaranteed wild caught. Floridaherps.com is the only website that I know of that has a good reputation and sells them but they are currently out of stock.

luissandoval87

Hatchling Dragon
I also wanted to purchase some skins, but I got a little discouraged when I realized they're nocturnal. I had some leopard geckos before and they're amazing, but I got a little annoyed at the fact that most of the time they're active is when I'm asleep. I'd figure these guys would be the same. They are amazing looking reptiles though. Good Luck. Hope you get one or two! :)

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
Thanks for looking around for me! :D I do want to say I saw that ad yesterday, but noticed they were too young to be sexed. Since I want a pair, I want to make sure I don't accidentally get two males that could hurt each other. I know I have pretty unique needs. Unfortunately I may need to pick them up separately, but I'm open to that!

Plus them being night owls means I'll have something in common with them! :D

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
Yep! I think having a pond in there is really the only sure-fire way to ensure humidity is in the 80-100% range. Now, after looking all over the net and calling every pet store in town, I think I'm going to go through Backwater Reptiles, they seem to be the only ones that could ensure I don't get two males. They are a bit pricey - anyone have any experience with them?

Of course I'm still a few weeks away from getting them, so I still plan to keep trolling the fauna forums. Maybe I'll get lucky. :)

ianedward1

Hatchling Dragon
Backwater Reptiles is only a middle man dealer. They simply take your order and then have some other source fill it. They have also been caught providing false negative reviews against other legitimate reptile dealers in order to try and boost their own sales. Buying from them is a huge risk. The only two large online dealers that I know of that have been monitored and certified are LLLReptiles and FloridaHerps

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
Ok. I won't ever intentionally buy from a middleman dealer. I've read so many terrible reviews on those types like Reptile City it makes me nauseous! :mad:

I'll keep an eye out for the skinks on those two websites. Thanks! But what does burned on the BOI mean?

luissandoval87

Hatchling Dragon
Go to faunaclassifieds.com. They have a Board of Inquiry (BOI) where people can inquire about buyers and sellers and/or say how they're purchasing experience is/was. Search FloridaHerps, not only the post ianedward1 is talking about but there are other posts where buyers have complained about the store policy: no refunds, but rather store credit, and customer service. Also because they were using others' pictures and using them to sell their herps.

ianedward1

Hatchling Dragon
I read those stories and I honestly think that the people that are posting these claims are a bit out there. The first one is full of holes in the story. Both the first and the third act ridiculous in response and it is even pointed out by other Fauna Classified members in the third post. Notice that the person from the third completely gets burned himself due to how he reacted and lack of providing his responses. The second is about a picture copyright which I am sure many groups are guilty of. Overall, I would say none of these claims have a legitimate backing so take it as you will.

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
Wow... I just spent almost two hours reading through those threads and have only two words to say about my little adventure: 1. DEAR 2. GOD! If your goal was to scare the heck out of me when it comes to the herp trade, you have succeeded! :eek:

I had heard whisperings on other forums about the madness that goes on at fauna, but until now had no idea about the drama and psychotic care involved in completely trashing other people's (and company's) reputations there. I can now say I've seen the top of that mountain and, frankly, don't ever want to climb it again! :D

I guess I'll focus more on talking to my local contacts to see if there is anything they can do for me. Meanwhile I'll keep checking independent sellers there to see if I can find that diamond in the rough.

luissandoval87

Hatchling Dragon
I enjoy reading them. They're like soap operas. I think they're great. It's just a matter of trying to remain unbiased all the way through and then just make a decision. In this case, the seller only has 1 "good guy" thread from 2011, against 3 "bad guy" threads from 2012. For a big company that is supposed to offer quality herps, I don't see the point in them taking other's pictures and posting them as their own, that's just shady. Also didn't care much for the outcome of the claims, but rather how they were handled. In each case, they were handled in a poor manner. Anyways, that's what I got out of it. Sorry to freak you out, but you'd be amazed at what people post on there.

Latest posts