• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Crickets or Dubia roaches?

Geneticjim

Juvenile Dragon
I had to leave my main colony alone for over 6 weeks except to feed so they settled in and started producing.. there are good care sheets online for how to start colonies let me know if you need them once on my computer I can try and find them again.
That would be great. Do I need a heat source? I'd rather not put a heat source on a plastic storage bin from the depot or lowes

Geneticjim

Juvenile Dragon
First I would like to see if you have had a chance to read the link that PatsyB and myself have on our signature lines about general info. This thread offers alot of first timer info.. so if you get a chance take a look it is something new we are trying to do to help folks out.

Here are 2 links for good food to feed I would avoid all lettuce as they only contain water.. collard, mustard, dandilion greens, kale are all better options.. the 2 links are what most of us use and are also located in that thread.

http://greathousefarm.com/Greathouse-Reptile-Nutrition-List.pdf
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

Young beardies will mostly eat bugs during their growth phase.. 80% bugs 20% greens/veggies/fruit and once they are more adult that will switch but each dragon is different..
Some poop daily (like mine) some poop 1 a week... BUT young baby dragons that are eating alot should be pooping..
He didn't bother eating again this morning. He runs around the cage, climb and bask. He looks good. I gave him a warm bath yesterday. He seems to also jump in his water bowl from time to time. I offered fresh bits of papaya last night. He didn't seem interested. However he is licking the items in the cage. I read through the links. It seems he is just adjusting to his new home I hope.

Paarthurnax

Hatchling Dragon
Papaya is a black good according to the beautiful dragon food list. I wouldn't expect him to eat it more than twice a week. I have been very lucky to still have dandelions in my yard that I dug up and now grow inside. Won't last much longer hopefully my alfalfa will be all in around the same time. Jim ate piece of kale once and then decided nope nope nope. Which is great because
I don't much like it either

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That would be great. Do I need a heat source? I'd rather not put a heat source on a plastic storage bin from the depot or lowes
Ok so with you being in FL Driscoids here is a link I just pulled up so there might be others.. I'm in WI so I have to have heat on them I have them in big 30 gal tubs and made screen tops. If the temps are not right they wont reproduce.. My Dubia will reproduce at 80F and higher if it goes below 80 they wait...Just found this as we just had a cold snap and I have a ton of pregnant females and the temp dropped.. I added a light and pow bunch of nymphs!!! lol
http://www.nyworms.com/discoidcare.htm

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Remember to buy more than you need so you are not pulling from your breeding colony that was the hardest part for me I had to keep buying from the pet store waiting for my colony to take off.. and really don't move the egg cartons around looking thru them just change out the water crystals, oranges are a huge favorite and for some reason really makes them happy :)
Other than driscoids needing more humidity and a bit higher temp the care is the same as dubia's. If you see a roach with a red tube thing coming out her backside be super careful and leave her be that's the egg sack they will stick it out to regulate the temp then pull it back in..if you bother her she will feel threatened and she will drop the eggs :( made this mistake too :( once the babies are ready she will live birth them..

Geneticjim

Juvenile Dragon
Remember to buy more than you need so you are not pulling from your breeding colony that was the hardest part for me I had to keep buying from the pet store waiting for my colony to take off.. and really don't move the egg cartons around looking thru them just change out the water crystals, oranges are a huge favorite and for some reason really makes them happy :)
Other than driscoids needing more humidity and a bit higher temp the care is the same as dubia's. If you see a roach with a red tube thing coming out her backside be super careful and leave her be that's the egg sack they will stick it out to regulate the temp then pull it back in..if you bother her she will feel threatened and she will drop the eggs :( made this mistake too :( once the babies are ready she will live birth them..
Thanks for the info. I scored a 100 Roach starter colony with about 40 males/females ready to breed and with assorted nymphs

Geneticjim

Juvenile Dragon
My BD ate well tonight. Had a bunch or crickets and a little bit of greens.

I also had a roll of butcher paper so I cut it to size and covered the sides and back. Now it's like the melamine cage. He seems happier now. More light

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks for the info. I scored a 100 Roach starter colony with about 40 males/females ready to breed and with assorted nymphs
Nice! You will love housing them way more than crickets!! I raised crickets for 5 years and oh man Roaches are soooo easy no cleaning no smell super easy!!

Geneticjim

Juvenile Dragon
Nice! You will love housing them way more than crickets!! I raised crickets for 5 years and oh man Roaches are soooo easy no cleaning no smell super easy!!
Awesome. I can't stand the 60 crickets I have now lol I forgot how much they stunk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Awesome. I can't stand the 60 crickets I have now lol I forgot how much they stunk
Oh that's nothing! I had anywhere from 500 -1000 at any given time!! I had to clean bins every day to keep the smell down.. they are just soooo much work and they are soo fragile!! any kind of temp change, an odor boom big die off... love housing and raising roaches night and day difference

Geneticjim

Juvenile Dragon
Oh that's nothing! I had anywhere from 500 -1000 at any given time!! I had to clean bins every day to keep the smell down.. they are just soooo much work and they are soo fragile!! any kind of temp change, an odor boom big die off... love housing and raising roaches night and day difference
I almost bought 1000 crickets on Tues. So glad I didn't

Latest posts