• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Crickets or Dubia roaches?

Geneticjim

Juvenile Dragon
I picked up a small BD from petsmart yesterday. He eats the heck out of the small crickets. Can I get Dubia roaches instead of crickets? Or is that more like a treat? Is is bad at all at this age to introduce the Dubia?

Thanks!

Geneticjim

Juvenile Dragon
Never mind nobody seems to want to ship to Florida. I guess it's back to buying crickets in bulk. Where is a good place to order in bulk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I picked up a small BD from petsmart yesterday. He eats the heck out of the small crickets. Can I get Dubia roaches instead of crickets? Or is that more like a treat? Is is bad at all at this age to introduce the Dubia?

Thanks!
Dubia's are a fantastic staple!! they are 5 times more nutritious and they don't bite, dont fly, and they are edible their entire lifespan

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Never mind nobody seems to want to ship to Florida. I guess it's back to buying crickets in bulk. Where is a good place to order in bulk
oh yea you can't have them there :(

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Dubia are illegal in FL but you can get discoids which are also nutritious. Ghann's crickets were always good, they are in GA. I keep my crickets in a 10 gallon breeder tank with a metal top and I use water crystals to keep them hydrated and feed them a dry prepared cricket food along with fruits and veggies I feed the dragons.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Dubia are illegal in FL but you can get discoids which are also nutritious. Ghann's crickets were always good, they are in GA. I keep my crickets in a 10 gallon breeder tank with a metal top and I use water crystals to keep them hydrated and feed them a dry prepared cricket food along with fruits and veggies I feed the dragons.

Very good information! I had to look them up and they must be a close "relative" to the Dubia not a lot of difference, do you know what the difference is PatsyB?

Geneticjim

Juvenile Dragon
I'm sorry for all the questions but here's another. My BD didn't eat one cricket a little bit ago. Between yesterday afternoon and this morning he ate 27 small crickets. I also offered romain lettuce this am and this afternoon a little fresh papaya off the tree. He didn't eat either. He did poop when I was at work though. Should I be concerned?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm sorry for all the questions but here's another. My BD didn't eat one cricket a little bit ago. Between yesterday afternoon and this morning he ate 27 small crickets. I also offered romain lettuce this am and this afternoon a little fresh papaya off the tree. He didn't eat either. He did poop when I was at work though. Should I be concerned?

First I would like to see if you have had a chance to read the link that PatsyB and myself have on our signature lines about general info. This thread offers alot of first timer info.. so if you get a chance take a look it is something new we are trying to do to help folks out.

Here are 2 links for good food to feed I would avoid all lettuce as they only contain water.. collard, mustard, dandilion greens, kale are all better options.. the 2 links are what most of us use and are also located in that thread.

http://greathousefarm.com/Greathouse-Reptile-Nutrition-List.pdf
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

Young beardies will mostly eat bugs during their growth phase.. 80% bugs 20% greens/veggies/fruit and once they are more adult that will switch but each dragon is different..
Some poop daily (like mine) some poop 1 a week... BUT young baby dragons that are eating alot should be pooping..

Geneticjim

Juvenile Dragon
First I would like to see if you have had a chance to read the link that PatsyB and myself have on our signature lines about general info. This thread offers alot of first timer info.. so if you get a chance take a look it is something new we are trying to do to help folks out.

Here are 2 links for good food to feed I would avoid all lettuce as they only contain water.. collard, mustard, dandilion greens, kale are all better options.. the 2 links are what most of us use and are also located in that thread.

http://greathousefarm.com/Greathouse-Reptile-Nutrition-List.pdf
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

Young beardies will mostly eat bugs during their growth phase.. 80% bugs 20% greens/veggies/fruit and once they are more adult that will switch but each dragon is different..
Some poop daily (like mine) some poop 1 a week... BUT young baby dragons that are eating alot should be pooping..
Awesome. Thanks I will read through those links tonight!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Not sure what the difference is between discoids and dubia.
hmm I'll have to do some more research.. But at least people in FL can get good bugs for them so that's good!!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
guess it's the slight higher temp and the humidity ...

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Here is a florida cricket farm that has them. http://thecricketguy.com/our-products/1888683

So I cant get a concrete answer about feeding roaches to the bearded dragon. Do I need to wait until its larger or can I start with roaches and get rid of the smelly crickets?
nope you can feed the roaches just get a mix of nymphs to juv to feed from then some adults do a 3 female to 1 male ratio... for the time being.. Buy more than you need right now as you should leave the colony alone so they can start reproducing..

dmaysr

Bearded Dragon Egg
Wow, Didn't know they are illegal in Florida! Guess I'll stick with crickets and Phoenix worms! Thanks for the heads up!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Wow, Didn't know they are illegal in Florida! Guess I'll stick with crickets and Phoenix worms! Thanks for the heads up!
Dubia roaches are illegal
Drisciod roaches ARE legal in FL

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
nope you can feed the roaches just get a mix of nymphs to juv to feed from then some adults do a 3 female to 1 male ratio... for the time being.. Buy more than you need right now as you should leave the colony alone so they can start reproducing..
I had to leave my main colony alone for over 6 weeks except to feed so they settled in and started producing.. there are good care sheets online for how to start colonies let me know if you need them once on my computer I can try and find them again.

Latest posts