• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Confirming Death- rigor mortis

LariJ123

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi there. I feel terrible about having to ask this question, but would regret it if I didn’t. Do all bearded dragons go into rigor mortis once they’ve died?
I adopted my sweet girl Dora from someone who wasn’t caring for her very well. She was severely underweight and her MBD made it quite hard for her to move about. She was between 6-7 years old when I got her, and it’s been nearly two years now (so she is quite old).
When she went into brumation last month, I suspected that she may not wake up (her appetite has been decreasing since the Fall and she has been less active). I did discuss this with my vet, and he agreed that her behaviour was pretty typical of an aging beardie.
Last week, I went to give her a bath (as she only poops in water), and she just seemed less reactive. I simply brushed it off as her being groggy from brumating, but continued to check on her every day.
Yesterday, I noticed her eyes were sunken in and she was no longer moving. I thought she may have passed, but decided to wait a day to see if rigor mortis would set in (to confirm that she is indeed deceased). However, after checking on her every few hours all day today, she is cold, has a black beard, and isn’t reactive when I turn her on her back- she is entirely limp.
All the information I’ve found says that beardies go into rigor mortis once they’ve passed, but it’s been about 36 hours since I discovered her yesterday, and there has been no change.
I’m fairly certain she is gone, but I wouldn’t be able to live with myself if I buried her and she weren’t deceased.
Can anyone confirm that beardies don’t always go into rigor mortis? I haven’t been able to see her breathing, but I know some beardies can quite convincingly play dead.
Any advice or guidance would be much appreciated - Thanks,
Lari

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Since it’s already been 36 hours and she hasn’t stiffened up , whats the harm waiting more, as i have heard stories of people burying there beardy to find it hasn’t passed aswell , I know this can sound quite morbid and I apologize for my bluntness, have you tried gently sticking her with a small needle , im so sorry your going through this , do u still have her lights going and everything?

LariJ123

Bearded Dragon Egg
https://lafeber.com/vet/how-to-verify-life-and-death-in-reptiles/ heres an article I found, I know you’ve probably read all of these already, give us a follow up if ur able to
Hi
Thanks for taking the time to respond. I have seen the article, and she does have all the symptoms of death, aside from the rigor mortis (and of course I don’t have a Doppler to check for a heart beat). I do currently still have her lights on their timer, although she isn’t warming up, so I don’t think they’re doing much for her.
My vet is closed today, but if she is still in the same state tomorrow, I’ll give them a call. It may seem silly, but I feel so awkward calling my vet to ask “ hey, can I book an appointment so you can see if my lizard has died”. I’ve had rescues and senior pets my whole life, and I’ve never struggled this much to identify if they’ve died.

LaylaM

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi
Thanks for taking the time to respond. I have seen the article, and she does have all the symptoms of death, aside from the rigor mortis (and of course I don’t have a Doppler to check for a heart beat). I do currently still have her lights on their timer, although she isn’t warming up, so I don’t think they’re doing much for her.
My vet is closed today, but if she is still in the same state tomorrow, I’ll give them a call. It may seem silly, but I feel so awkward calling my vet to ask “ hey, can I book an appointment so you can see if my lizard has died”. I’ve had rescues and senior pets my whole life, and I’ve never struggled this much to identify if they’ve died.
Hey me and my siblings have a beardie with similar symptoms that only just happened last night. The symptoms of death except for the rigor mortis, when we found him last night we panicked and almost buried him today until we read more on brumation and beardies faking death. Sorry if it’s too much to ask but what happened to your beardie afterwards?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey me and my siblings have a beardie with similar symptoms that only just happened last night. The symptoms of death except for the rigor mortis, when we found him last night we panicked and almost buried him today until we read more on brumation and beardies faking death. Sorry if it’s too much to ask but what happened to your beardie afterwards?
Improper basking temps and UVB can cause brumation behavior - has your dragon moved at all today? And can you see if hes breathing--

LaylaM

Bearded Dragon Egg
Improper basking temps and UVB can cause brumation behavior - has your dragon moved at all today? And can you see if hes breathing--
He hasn’t moved and I can’t tell if he is but it appears that he isn’t but he’s not stiff at all

LaylaM

Bearded Dragon Egg

Attachments

• 30D330CF-4A2F-4773-BC55-AE3C2D00B76C.jpeg
    30D330CF-4A2F-4773-BC55-AE3C2D00B76C.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 558

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
We can’t tell but if he is it’s very faint
He looks like he has passed and he does not look very old- still a baby- how long have you had him? :( Breaks my heart to see this when so young- it is imperative that the tank is set up w/ correct surface basking temps--and correct uvb- no coils - if they do not have this they will not survive-

LaylaM

Bearded Dragon Egg
He looks like he has passed and he does not look very old- still a baby- how long have you had him? :( Breaks my heart to see this when so young- it is imperative that the tank is set up w/ correct surface basking temps--and correct uvb- no coils - if they do not have this they will not survive-
Yeah we believe that too but then we noticed he hasn’t set in rigor mortis yet and weren’t sure if death was possible without rigor mortis. He isn’t even a year yet, and we don’t have coils

LaylaM

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yeah we believe that too but then we noticed he hasn’t set in rigor mortis yet and weren’t sure if death was possible without rigor mortis. He isn’t even a year yet, and we don’t have coils
If there is something wrong with our setup can you let us know?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 555

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok that is good what were you using for a uvb? The long tube fixture bulbs have different placement and distance for T 5 and T 8's- where did you get the dragon from?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
What bulb is in the dome? Brand and bulb please we will start there

LaylaM

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok that is good what were you using for a uvb? The long tube fixture bulbs have different placement and distance for T 5 and T 8's- where did you get the dragon from?
We got the dragon from petsmart. I was just asking my sibling what she was using for uvb and didn’t know what kind of bulb it was, I took a look and it is a coil, apologies.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
We got the dragon from petsmart. I was just asking my sibling what she was using for uvb and didn’t know what kind of bulb it was, I took a look and it is a coil, apologies.
Ok - I only saw the one dome- can you show me or tell me what brand and bulb? I can tell you any coil uvb is no good- it's possible the dragon was already sick when you got him- and since we don't know exactly what he passed from please sanitize the tank w/ some F10 vet sanitizer found on eBay or zoo meds wipe out- that should be done before you put another dragon in the tank-- just saying - I can help you get your tank set up if you are planning to get another - it is going to be spendy but once you get it set up correctly you will have a happier healthy dragon-- dragons are not a cheap pet

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Fluckers, not sure about the bulb though I can send a picture of it once it cools down if needed. It’s a heat lamp
Ok flukers coil? I use flukers heat lamps (basking) bulbs but you want a long tube fixture for a uvb-- I will post links tomorrow so you can see what I am talking about

LaylaM

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok - I only saw the one dome- can you show me or tell me what brand and bulb? I can tell you any coil uvb is no good- it's possible the dragon was already sick when you got him- and since we don't know exactly what he passed from please sanitize the tank w/ some F10 vet sanitizer found on eBay or zoo meds wipe out- that should be done before you put another dragon in the tank-- just saying - I can help you get your tank set up if you are planning to get another - it is going to be spendy but once you get it set up correctly you will have a happier healthy dragon-- dragons are not a cheap pet
Ok flukers coil? I use flukers heat lamps (basking) bulbs but you want a long tube fixture for a uvb-- I will post links tomorrow so you can see what I am talking about
The heat lamp is fluckers and it’s not a coil. But the uvb we’re not sure we’ve had it a couple years. It totally is possible he came from the store sick as a past crested gecko from the same store came visibly sick from the start. But the bearded dragon has also always had a lot more energy and has been fine that we’ve known for 6 months. Between the gecko and the dragon we did deep clean everything in the cage.

Latest posts