• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Coccidia Treatment in NZ

Polly

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
In case you were interested, here is an update on sid:
his panacur treatment has finished and a week after that I got another fecal done, his pin worms are completely gone but his coccidia is still the same. I have ordered 2 bottles of reptaid, which should arrive in the next 6-10 days. What do you think is the best way to administer it?
I will continue giving him soy yogurt in the meantime.
my vet has access to baycox also for coccidia, but I'll stick with reptaid for now I think and see how it goes.

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Good news is always welcome:) I'm glad to hear that at least part of his parasite problems are cleared up and believe that the Repaid will take care of the coccidia problem. That was the original reason that it was developed for:)
The dosages are clearly shown on the box and will be based on your dragon's weight in grams. You administer it orally with a syringe and your order will probably come with a syringe included but if not they aren't hard to come by usually. Your vet or a pharmacy can get you one.
The dosages are very small so to make sure I get all of it out of the syringe what I do is draw the dosage into the syringe and then draw a small amount of water or Pedialyte into the syringe too. I have never had any of my critters refuse to take it with just a lil persuasion. It tastes good and smells good...and yes I have tried it myself..lol:D
I would do two cycles of 10 days each with a week off in between and then have her stool tested again.
You will also need to make sure that you thoroughly clean her cage and disinfect it every day which is standard husbandry practice when battling parasites to try and minimize the chance of re-infestation. I would keep the enclosure setup to just bare necessities to make your job easier too.
Do keep up with the soy yogurt all the way through treatment and for a couple of weeks after. The soy yogurt is best given in the evening and you will want to keep her nighttime temp up to about 80 degrees Fahrenheit. The higher night temp will help the gut flora grow while she sleeps. Then you can give the Reptaid doses in the morning.
Look for to hearing more updates on the progress so keep us posted!

Enjoy!!

Polly

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Awesome, thanks for that. Good to know it tastes great for us too, haha! Unlike the soy yogurt... though sid seems to like it.
I took everything out of his cage yesterday and then when I put him back in he have me the most guilt-tripping look ever. I felt terrible and gave him his hut back..

Polly

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Today is his last day of reptaid treatment, so will get a fecal done next week. But while hopefully that problem has been solved, something else troubling has come up. In the last few days I've noticed his eyes have become very watery, and he has been doing bulgey eyes quite often and will try and scratch his eyes on rocks, grass, even my feet, and whatever he can find. Today I noticed after he'd scratched his eyes on the rock, they rolled back a bit and then went back to normal. It's quite scary... any clues on what might be causing this?

Latest posts