• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

cfls lights

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
beardielover17 said:
I read that recently Brian. I found it to be pretty interesting. Lately I have noticed a lot of people complaining about their bulbs lately (mainly the MVBs though). I had issues with 3 different MegaRays and finally decided not to use them anymore. The Powersun had issues from the beginning, T-rex Active UV had similar issues with their glass like MegaRay and the Solar Glo is giving off either too little UV or too much. I also heard they are changing who makes their bulbs to a place in China (all the above mentioned bulbs) and the quality has declined.

Seems the main common denominator between the MVB bulbs that are having issues is a new coating they are using on the glass to "intensify" the uv rays for use with reptiles. Seems that this coating caused a ton of issues.

another thing that many do not realize is that MVB lights are designed for Zoo usage (ie very large enclosures). They have been adapted for use in hobby keeper setups but are extremely strong lights. I think another causer of the problems seen with them is that they are used in a much smaller space than the original design was meant for.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
2 out of the 3 MegaRays I had were the coating issues and the other issue was that it blew out less than a month into owning the bulb. I give up with the MVBs.

On a side note, I have used a CFL UVB years ago for Magellan. He never had issues with his calcium levels or eye issues or anything like that. I don't remember the brand offhand but I know it wasn't a Zoo Med, Exo-Terra, or Zilla brand. I changed it out to a Reptisun 10.0 once I read up on them but by then Magellan had been under it for just over a year with no issues. To be honest I had more issues with the MVBs than that CFL. I agree that there can be some that are ok to use but I doubt there are many out there. I like the linear lights anyway. It helps with brightening up the tank

Fliehigh

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
beardielover17 said:
To be honest I had more issues with the MVBs than that CFL. I agree that there can be some that are ok to use but I doubt there are many out there. I like the linear lights anyway. It helps with brightening up the tank

This is almost exactly what I was typing when you replied! ;D

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
As the same as Frances Baine, I too use a CFL in my new gecko set up for my golden tailed geckos. I have the Lucky Reptile Compact sun 15W for my gex as the enclosure size would not allow me to run a flouro in them. We have known about the Lucky reptile company here in OZ for a while now and have a supplier here.

As with Candice's other post about incandescent bulbs being phased out. I put a link to their OZ site on my reply. It might be worth trying to find a supplier of Lucky reptile lighting in the US at your voltages (as we work on a different voltage here). With the recent problems you guys have been having with MVBs it could be a viable alternative. Lucky Reptiles have a lighting system based on halogens that exceeds the MVB outputs at lower wattages as well for power savings.

Here's a link to the OZ site again.
http://dalbarb.com.au/products/Bright_Sun_UV_Desert_50W-256-9.html

P.S. Great work Bri just goes to show that you can't belive all the hype when it comes to reptile lighting ;).

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Now on their site it says UV and heat. These aren't MVBs? Sorry I just quickly read over and may have missed it but I'm multi tasking at the moment

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
beardielover17 said:
Now on their site it says UV and heat. These aren't MVBs? Sorry I just quickly read over and may have missed it but I'm multi tasking at the moment

Nope not MVBs Candice their a hollogen based lamp system. Hologens have a longer life than MVBs as well the downside is they need an external ballast sytem kinda like the EB series MVBs.

Latest posts