• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Can the habitat be to big?

bgingras

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
We are picking up a 7mo old today and it comes with a 20 gallon tank to stay in temporarily. We have a 150 gallon empty at he moment from a red ear slider. I was thinking of converting it into a desert habitat minus the sand, of course. The setup already has several basking lamps(mega ray SB) and heat lamps. The plan was to build a foam habitat, grouted and turned fake rocks, rock cave, climbing areas, platforms, etc. Anyway, is this to big for a beardie or will it thrive?

egg 80

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
personnaly i think youll be upgrading the tank a few months later do you know how big the beardie is,
youll need a uvb bulb reptisun 10.0 is advised and a starter to switch the bulb on, substrate advised is slate tile for beardies under 12 months old, thermostat to regulate temps and minimum of 2 thermometers one on hot side other on cool side. hope this helps welcome to the forum and please add pics when possible we are a friendly bunch on here and are all here to get advice and give advice so any questions no matter how stupid or trivial you think they are please do ask as it all helps everyone to learn from the advice and query
paul

bgingras

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
we got him/her home here. It's about 12" long already and in need of the new space, it will be about 2 weeks before I can completely get the 150 tank done. The bulb they just got is a 10.0. I was originally concerned that the new 150 gallon tank for it was going to be to big, it sound like it should be fine now or are you saying that that is to small? The tank is 7' long!

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I think your beardie will do fine in a 150 gallon tank. And by the time you add furniture and cage decor it will look very nice. And still give your beardie lots of room.

bgingras

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks...I'm planning the full foam and grout fake stone job. Back wall, a couple ramps, cave, platforms and maybe a hammock.

egg 80

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
The bulb they just got is a 10.0. I was originally concerned that the new 150 gallon tank for it was going to be to big, it sound like it should be fine now or are you saying that that is to small? The tank is 7' long!
[/quote]
sorry i miss read your first post i thought he was going to be housed in a 20 gallon my bad sorry 150 gallon is a great size
paul
please post some pics of you new addition

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
For the 150.. get a MVB.. Like Megaray... go with the 160 watt, and have a second house hold flood raying down in the same area as the MVB for a lovely basking site.. Do that on one side, and for extra light, but not heat, a 4' shop light and fixture will fix that in a jiffy.
Now if you plan to go total sand, that's a whole lotta removal on a monthly basis.. perhaps you can do one corner area with particulates, and the rest something else, paper towels, non adhesive shelf liner... ceramic tile.. or what not..
Just a thought.
Janie

bgingras

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
no sand, I've read to much bad about it. tils will be on the bottom. What we started doing tonight was building the interior as a 2 section back and bottom. All foam so far with a cave, ramps, rocks, and platforms. The plan is to foam it all, then grout coat it all, give it some texture for grip and be happy. I'm using mega ray 100 bulbs now for our iguana, and have the basking platform landing 13" below the bulb. That location has 2 ceramic fixtures in the hood already. I have plenty of room for a shop lite as well. This was a red ear slider tank so the light fixtures were already in place.

bgingras

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
pics are goign to be posted once I get a better grip on it. I got one shot tonight of the start of it.

bgingras

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
pics are here. The entire enclosure is built in a 150 gallon tank. We used foam sheet and expansion foam to create the shape. Then it ws coated with 4-5 layers of grout, then faux painted to look like rock, then sealed with 4 coats of water based finish. We added a sand layer to all climbing surfaces between coat 2 and 3 of the clear finish. This project took about 2 weeks with dry time, we will now dial in the temps for the next week while it completly cures, then Spike gets her new home.

384917036.jpg

384917041.jpg

384917044.jpg

bgingras

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
thanks...right now I'm working to dial in temps. The basking area is hovering at 93-94, cool spot is at 73. I'm using a 100W mega ray SB and a 75W halogen to get the basking temp up, but this temp may not be accurate given the fact that I'm unable to measure the surface temp, the digital thermometer is reading ambient about 3" off the surface. The entire unit still has 5 days of curing to go, then she can finally move out of the 20 gallon tank she is crowded into.

egg 80

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
nice viv great job, soooo when are you gonna come over here to do mine lol ;D

paul

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I think that if surface temps were accurately recorded, the air temps suggest they might be.. that this is already where it needs to be.
Just thinking out loud..
Janie

bgingras

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I set the digital unit on it's back on the basking area and it stabilized at 99.3

bgingras

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
egg 80 said:
nice viv great job, soooo when are you gonna come over here to do mine lol ;D

paul

It's pretty easy to do, I'll give you any pointers you may need. just ask

bgingras

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Renee said:
Any thoughts on how you can up those temps?

Well if need be, I could always setup thermostatic controls for the area. 2 days now, the temps have been pretty stable.

Latest posts