• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

burrowing?

NerJaro

Juvenile Dragon
so there was a reptile expo here in Tulsa (not big, i happened upon it, glad i did), i got a smallish (20 gallon) UTH, 1000 crix for $20 (got em in a big tub at the moment), a leash (she will need to grow into it) and a 10lb bag of Reptilite calcium substrate made with Argonite. and i had noticed when i got everything back in her cage and put her in she acted like she a was trying to burrow in the sand. anyone else seen this in their Dragons? here are a couple pics of the enclosure. just wondering if anyone else has seen this behavior? she has only done it once each time i put new substrate in, just her getting to know it?

Attachments

• 100_2102.JPG
    100_2102.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 63
  • 100_2109.JPG
    100_2109.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 64

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes it is common for a BD to dig around which is one of the reasons many of us prefer to use Strained Children's Washed Play Sand as our substrate of choice. There have been many, many threads on the dangers of using calci-sand no matter what brand, shape it is formed into or what it is derived from, Calci-Sand is Calci-Sand. It poses a very high impaction risk because when moistened as it would be going through the digestive process it will clump together. It is one of the most dangerous substrates to use. I also appears to be colored, although the pics are so blurry it is difficult to tell, more times than not colored substrate will transfer onto & stain your BD's skin.

This is an X-Ray of a BD with a Calci-Sand impaction. Looks more like a Rock with legs, than a Dragon. Please remove that substrate from your enclosure --- Yesterday. For the safety of your BD.

impaction01.jpg

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Whether it is derived from argonite or anything else it is still Calcium Carbonate & will clump when moistened, no matter what the manufacturer's ads say, experience with BDs has proven it to be an extremely high impaction risk & an unsafe substrate for BDs.

No, Strained Clean Washed Play Sand will not clump when moistened, as it is tiny rocks\pebbles with no binding agent, rocks will not clump or stick together when moistened, Calcium Carbonate will. If accidentally ingested the tiny particles of sand will pass right through a well hydrated BD. Calcium Carbonate will stick together, forming a ball that can get large enough as shown in the X-Ray to severely cause blockages.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
A 1/8" screen should do the trick, or a colander with 1/8 holes (Not slots) will work. Some keepers will use their screen top, as it is often fine enough.

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
@NetJaro...Our Mungi is an excavation expert and greatly enjoys having his Play Sand. As I have stated in other threads I am 100% with Germ on the subject of using Play Sand as substrate for.adult beardies over 10 inches in length. Not sure where you live but Lowes Home Improvement Centers sells the best quality Play Sand...it is called Quikrete Premium Children's Playsand. A 50lb bag will run.you under 4 dollars...be sure to buy the ones they store inside and not those kept outside in the parking lot.
As far as screening goes you will find.that the Quikrete Premium is alredy quite clear of small pebbles but even at that you should still screen it. We use a simple 1x4 frame with a piece of ordinary plastic household window screen. The screen can be bought for 25-40 cents a square foot and 1 square foot is plenty..the frame can be made out of any scrap wood you might have or.a 1x 4 x 8 will cost ya only a.couple of.bucks;)
Please get that Calci-Sand out of your dragon's enclosure pronto! It is a.loaded pistol waitin on the trigger to be pulled!
Btw cute pic of you dragon watchin the flick on your laptop...lol..we try and keep Mungi away from the laptop for fear of him runnin up a big bill orderin pay per view...lol
Have a great evening!

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

NerJaro

Juvenile Dragon
got a 50lb bag of play sand, sifted it twice with the pooper scooper.
the pics are of her waiting for a cricket to venture near her and the other is and overall view

Attachments

• 100_2114.JPG
    100_2114.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 35
  • 100_2115.JPG
    100_2115.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 41

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Well done,Sir;) Im sure she will enjoy that playsand much better and you now have the peace of mind knowing it's safe...btw, that slate tile you have looks just like the one Mungi has for his eating platform..lol..bought his at Lowes..good choice! ;)
Have a great nite!

blackclaw83

Juvenile Dragon
Hey quick question for you bud. Spazz is ready for play sand, but my question is this. Is that measurement with or without tail? We got 4 bags of Quikrete Premium Children's Playsand, he has a 55 gal, 4 ft long , by 1.1 ft wide , by 1.20 and 1/2 tall tank. We did not know how much would need to go in there so to be on the safe side we bought more then we needed {we hope}. I know Buddha and Germ state 10 inches, and that info sheet in the Exclusive care info library says 9inches. I am going with what it feels Spazz would enjoy better. We put basking rocks, and that fake grass liner in his tank. He is never on the liner. Ever.

Nemo

Hatchling Dragon
Does the dragon need to be 10" from nose to tip of tail to have sand as a substrate? A year old? I want to change over to sand from tile. Do you think Spike will have any issues besides saying WTH have I done with the tile and what is this 'stuff' under my feet?? LOL!!

NerJaro

Juvenile Dragon
Misty is 14 in including tail. and about 6 months old. Germ would know more, i just used a pooper scooper to size the sand, there are a bunch of bigish rocks and such in it, i put in 2 inches deep or so worth of sifted sand. i think as long as the dragon is not a baby and longer than 10in or so should be good (most places ive looked around says 10in). but all in all Ask Germ, overall im a baby when it comes to Dragons

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I say 10" to be on the safer side & that is nose to tip of tail. 4X50 lbs bags will likely be too much. I generally landscape from 2" to 5" or 6".

Nemo

Hatchling Dragon
I think that sand is more of a natural substrate than slate tile. I am going to get some sand and try it out. I have the rocks and that is about it....don't like clutter!! Germ will eventually answer....he knows I am a wimp taking care of my dragon....:D

Nemo

Hatchling Dragon
too funny....thanks germ....i think we 'replied' at the same time. Spike should be ready so going for the change!!

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
@ Pat - Spike is well over big enough to be on play sand if that is your choice. I think he would have no issues with the transition. May dig around for a while, might even try a taste or 2 while checking out the new environment.

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Agreed...2-6 inches of sand is what I aim for in Mungi's enclosure..however I.will tell ya that he is the one who decides where its deep or shallow...lol..I can rake and grade it out in the.morning and by mid afternoon he will have it excavated and pushed around to his liking...course its his house so he has that right afterall..lol
And yes the 10 inches is nose to tail;)

Latest posts