• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brumation Question (Francis I need your opinion especially)

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
As we all know, brumation is a natural part of a dragons life. My question is, when in the wild do dragons go down, more specifically what age range do they go down? Also, is it healthy for a dragon under 18 months to brumate if all other things such as parasites and infections aren't present?

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I can't answer about the wild Candice,
but in my experience, each dragon is distinctive in it's needs. Although we see "growing time" as when the age is younger, many have finished the majority of that stage before that 18 month mark.
I've had dragons alot of years, and never was any one the same in their habits. Some slowed slightly, some slowed drastically, some went out like somebody hit them on the head. All at different times and ages.
If you take precautions, run fecals prior to allowing one to brumate fully, and nothing shows up...........what exactly are you supposed to do? Treat it anyways? Medicate something that isn't there? Maybe cause a whole slew of problems that didn't exist originally?

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
ok thank you gina, i just thought maybe i was wrong but it seems as though its its that person being hard headed and close-minded...my thoughts were yours exactly gina...if the animal is healthy and wants to brumate whos to stop a natural occurrence? ive had a dragon who went down at 8 months and i had one that went down at 4 YEARS

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
it makes no sense to force our thought, belief and overly obsessive need to control things onto other living creatures. It's not our job to dictate their behaviors, but to observe them, admire them and make sure their health is on a level that they harbor no parasites or medical illness. Once you do that.....let it be.

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Wild dragons brumate quite young Candice as they don't have a choice with an outside influence (us) making sure their temps don't go down too low. Most wild dragons don't survive their first winter. Temps in the wild get as low as -2C in some parts of their range overnight.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Red Ink AUS said:
Wild dragons brumate quite young Candice as they don't have a choice with an outside influence (us) making sure their temps don't go down too low. Most wild dragons don't survive their first winter. Temps in the wild get as low as -2C in some parts of their range overnight.
thank you francis...i figured this was going to be the case...some people are just....yea...i wont even bother going further...atleast i know im not wrong francis, gina and lance *hugs*

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
beardielover17 said:
ok thank you gina, i just thought maybe i was wrong but it seems as though its its that person being hard headed and close-minded...my thoughts were yours exactly gina...if the animal is healthy and wants to brumate whos to stop a natural occurrence? ive had a dragon who went down at 8 months and i had one that went down at 4 YEARS

I saw that... and am dealing with it... Sorry Candice... that person was being deliberately ... *special word..special word..*.
It is possible for dragons to go down, at any age beyond infancy... I would have liked to see more weight on that young dragon, but am feeling out all aspects to make sure nothing else is amiss...
And bog wood is just that... wood from natural trees in a bog ( swamp like) area that have died, and fallen into the muck ;)
Janie

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
no worries janie! you're not at fault for this person....he and i never got along as you and many others know...i think he just deliberately does it to urk me...idc what he says i just want to make sure im giving correct info to the person in need

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Red Ink AUS said:
??? Have i missed something ???
on the other forum francis....one of the mods and i dont get along very well...if you want i can PM you more detail

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
That's fine Candice I saw it lol. I don't tend to hang around as much on that forum as I seem to not fit in with my ideas so to speak lol. It's a bit too pro caresheet keeping for my liking.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
lol its only a couple people i bump heads with for that reason over there...for the most part alot of the actual members are pretty open to suggestions although i do prefer this forum over that one

TheVirus

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
it makes no sense to force our thought, belief and overly obsessive need to control things onto other living creatures. It's not our job to dictate their behaviors, but to observe them, admire them and make sure their health is on a level that they harbor no parasites or medical illness. Once you do that.....let it be.

WOW!! That should be a bumper sticker or those words that some people have under their posts. If I had a clapping hands smiley thing I'd post like five now.

Candice,

I'm just assuring you as to what you already know. I had a 5 month old female dig a burrow, seal off the entrance trapping herself inside, emerge 2 months later, lay a clutch of infertile eggs a month later (unmated), mate, lay more clutches, and still grow to be 22+ inches.

Most of my dragons are pretty much full grown by 8 months anyway.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
thanx for the reassurance tim...it just boggles my mind how people can be so close-minded and feel that only what THEY say is right

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Lol... Francis... None of us really belong there other than as a ... litmus paper for the rest of the do as I say world... Little did they know I'm a renegade... *giggles* Right everyone ? ;)
Janie

TheVirus

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Janie............I have no words 8)

Candice,

I read the thread. He had me banned from two forums already. One like 4-5 years ago. Before I got back into dragons, I came on a forum and asked why everybody kept dragons the way they do. I told them that I didn't own any dragons, but I getting back into them and then explained my husbandry philosophy. He bashed the heck out of me. I looked like a butt too. I wasn't as polite as Janie has made me :) He made all sort of predictions of my dragons demise. Impaction, neurological disorders, overrun with parasites, RI, MBD, gout, you name it. I don't post any of my opinions over there because he would be all over me. A couple of them would :)

I like it here. I feel like I don't have to conform to be allowed to post. We have no problem agreeing to disagree and I love that :)

Latest posts