• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Breeding Superworms

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I've been researching for a while of how to breed superworms. I put it all in short form and I got this:

1. Each worm in separate compartment – start with at least 50 worms (70-80*F, dark place)
2. Larva to pupae = 1-2 weeks
3. Once pupae remove from compartment; put into sweater box (oats or bran as substrate) OR leave in compartment till beetle stage
4. Pupae to beetle = 1-2 weeks
5. Once beetle, put food (carrots, potatoes – source of moisture)
6. Every 2-4 weeks, remove beetles to new container with new substrate (eggs will have been laid in the container you just removed the beetles from)
7. Eggs will hatch in a few weeks
8. 5-6 months for the babies are big enough to start the process again

Anyone who has bred supers, let me know if there are any other details, or if there's something wrong with this.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That's pretty much it....except it usually take 2 to 3 weeks for the worms to convert to aleins (pupae) rather than the designated 1 to 2 weeks. I just leave the aleins in the compartment (I use 35mm film canisters....they work perfectly) until they turn to beetles. They'll be a real light color with a bit of red/brown in their body for the first day or so. Continually darkening until they turn all black.

About the only thing I have done is moving the beetles every 2-4 weeks in different boxes. Might need to do that.

I've found instant potatoes to be a real nice substrate. Soft, airy, and lighter than oatmeal. I've yet to get invaders (other bugs, most very, VERY small) since I switched from oatmeal to potate flakes.

Make sure the boxes are ventilated enough or condensation will build up and ruin everything.

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Alright. Where can I find film canisters? Or something of the type. And for the substrate, they do eat it, right? So are the instant potatoes nutritious for them?

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Honestly, I've yet to see them actually eat the substrate, but wouldn't doubt that they do. I know they eat any veggies I offer as they disappear.

Film canisters....not sure. I got all of mine from a fellow beardie owner who also happened to be breeding supers. You might try a film store.

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I shall go browse some stores and find something similar. So, the eggs are okay to be and hatch in dry substrate?

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
beardie_love said:
I shall go browse some stores and find something similar. So, the eggs are okay to be and hatch in dry substrate?

Yep. They do just fine in mine.

One word of caution....as I learned this the hard way by tossing out my first tub of success. Once the eggs hatch, the babies are really, REALLY small. Almost too small to see. It'll appear as if the substrate is moving about on it's own. I thought there were some kind of parasites or something that had invaded the tub and tossed them.....only to find out they had to have been the babies.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
beardie_love said:
Oh, well that's too bad! :( Hopefully my breeding will be a success. :)

It wasn't too big of a deal. Just started over. I have three tubs going right now. Granted, I use shoebox-sized tubs....as that's more than enough for my two beardies.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
instead of film canisters which are a pita to store, keep warm and not thumped around.....use those plastic craft boxes like you keep beads in. you can buy them at Walmart or the Craft store for like 1.50 or something. Each one will hold around a dozen worms to pupate, and you can stack the containers. Be sure to cover them with a towel or place them in a dark area like a cabinet or closet where the light is very low and rarely used.

50 is a good number to start, and it'll give you an idea of what you need to supply yourself with as you go. Remember that beetles age out and produce fewer eggs at 4 weeks old than they do at the 2 week old stage of "beetle life", so you'll want to be continuously morphing new beetles.

Never put your aliens and beetles together. if fluid is rationed, the beetles will eat the aliens.

I also used powered baby formula in my substrate mix. And i grow some nice healthy worms usually. But i was able to buy some expired surplus awhile back that's not fit for human consumption. You can also use the powdered milk from the grocery if you like.

Craig.............oh gosh........i remember that. lol.............i hated telling you.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
ladyknite said:
Craig.............oh gosh........i remember that. lol.............i hated telling you.

Not as much as I hated hearing it! LOL!

Those stackable containers.....great idea! Never considered those. Might need to pick some up.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
12 inches long x 6 inches wide, by 2 inches high. they're great.
until you have 40 of them stacked in the closet and the man is yelling WT?????? is this?

northface75

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
if you decide to go the route of the film canister (thats what I'm using atm), you can get them for free from any photo lab ie walmart, cvs, walgreens, rite aid. I worked in a photo lab for a couple years, we gave them to people all the time. You'd be surprised how many people use film canisters for different craft projects and stuff. Just ask for some, they will give them to you, they dont care, they just are kept in a bag and are eventually recycled.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I am going to have to try this.

ladyknite said:
12 inches long x 6 inches wide, by 2 inches high. they're great.
until you have 40 of them stacked in the closet and the man is yelling WT?????? is this?

You all will be able to hear my hubby yell this when he sees I have yet another bug collection going one. Right now I have an 18 gallon tub of little crix, and a 10 gallon tank of adult crickets, now I am going to have a stack of bead bins and shoe boxes. I can see/hear him now ***giggling already***

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
northface75 said:
if you decide to go the route of the film canister (thats what I'm using atm), you can get them for free from any photo lab ie walmart, cvs, walgreens, rite aid. I worked in a photo lab for a couple years, we gave them to people all the time. You'd be surprised how many people use film canisters for different craft projects and stuff. Just ask for some, they will give them to you, they dont care, they just are kept in a bag and are eventually recycled.

That's awesome! Guess I'm going to Walmart. :) Thanks!

metrapper

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
will they breed at room temp or do i have to put the heat to them how manny worms worms do u get per hatch (roughly) thanks

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
metrapper said:
will they breed at room temp or do i have to put the heat to them how manny worms worms do u get per hatch (roughly) thanks

I usually keep mine on the top of one of my enclosures, but it's built into a wall. So the top is actually out of sight. However, The temp where they are located is usually right around room ambience. So, yeah, room temp is good. How many per hatch? Good question! I can tell you, I've got TONS of babies out of just 22 beetles in one box. No idea how many I've got in the box that I feed out of, but it's LOTS. ;D

Definitely worth doing if you're thinking about it. Not much work and lots of benefit.

northface75

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
gotta breathe life into this old post, I'm seeing some movement in my tub substrate which should be packed full of superworm eggs. the substrate consists of oatmeal and the high protein roach chow from theroachguy.com. my question is this. how do I feed these guys?? what do I put in there? I also dont want to have mold start growing from moisture.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The oats and the chow will feed them. Add some carrots split in half to the top. Maybe 6 halves just laid on top. Carrots will just wither, not mold

Latest posts