• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Black mark on my beardies chin!

Adriannen

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello all! New Beardie owner here. I've had Bernadette for 6 months now. She has grown so quickly and is a happy and mellow baby. She eats dubias pretty much exclusively and likes to shun greens but knows she won't get her roaches till she eats some. Lol

Anywhooo she has this black mark on her chin. I was wondering if anyone has seen this or might know what it is?

She does not seem bothered by it. She has not lost any drastic weight and still eats. She's semi-brumating right now so she's much less active. When I bath her I tried brushing it with a soft toothbrush thinking it might be left over shed, but hasn't come off. It hasn't increased in size or spread.

Any input would be much appreciated!!!

Attachments

• 20171211_185614.jpg
    20171211_185614.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 663
  • 20171201_194554.jpg
    20171201_194554.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 631
  • 20171201_194548.jpg
    20171201_194548.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 661

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Have you tried giving her a bath and brushing it with a toothbrush to see if it comes off? It's weird looking but it doesn't look like a bacterial or viral infection. Does she rub her beard on anything in her tank? It could be damaged scales. Or it could just be the color of her scales. My boy has damaged scales on his belly from years of sliding off of things against his scales. I keep an eye on them but they don't seem to bother him.

Adriannen

Bearded Dragon Egg
Have you tried giving her a bath and brushing it with a toothbrush to see if it comes off? It's weird looking but it doesn't look like a bacterial or viral infection. Does she rub her beard on anything in her tank? It could be damaged scales. Or it could just be the color of her scales. My boy has damaged scales on his belly from years of sliding off of things against his scales. I keep an eye on them but they don't seem to bother him.

Thanks for getting back to Me! I've tried brushing it with a soft toothbrush during her bath. Nothing happens. At least she likes the brushing haha

She doesn't have the tendency to rub her face on anything. But sometimes she launches herself at the door when she gets excited or wants to come out. I was thinking maybe a bruise?? It really doesn't seem to bother her.

I dont imagine it's her coloring. This mark showed up about 3 weeks ago. I added some pics of her before the mark. The 2nd pic I added is when the mark showed up.

Thank you again!

Attachments

• 20171105_132344.jpg
    20171105_132344.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 656
  • 20171123_132334.jpg
    20171123_132334.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 627

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Sorry you did originally say you tried to brush it off. I’m asking some other dragon people what they think. It doesn’t look like rot, it looks like something surface on the scales. Could be a bruise. I would check the silicone holding the tank together and make sure none of it melted and got on her. It might be something that you have to wait for her to shed for it to go away.

BTW, what are you feeding her in that picture? She’s got dark stuff all over her beard and head!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
When you first noticed the mark, had she just shed?

Adriannen

Bearded Dragon Egg
When you first noticed the mark, had she just shed?

No she hasnt shed recently. I checked the silicon, no melting there. Maybe it's just a bruise. I hope that's all it is. Thank you asking around! It snowed up about 3 weeks ago. I was looking through more pictures of her and it definitely wasn't as dark when it first showed up. Thankful it doesn't seem like rot of fungus! I was scared of that mostly.

Regarding the black stuff on her face in the pic, the silly girl went tearing across her background to the door. It's made from styrofoam so she tore some of it off and got on her.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
What a goof! She looked happy doing it though LOL!

Keep an eye on it and if it starts looking worse I would have a vet look at it.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Kinda just looks like some coloring coming thru..but keep an eye on it like patsy said.

Adriannen

Bearded Dragon Egg
She definitely has a lot of fun doing that! She's a happy little monster! She's so cute. Here's an updated picture of the mark.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
WAIT, I wonder if it's some sort of staining from the styrofoam. You said she dug at it and it got all over her. Maybe this is some sort of stubborn stain from the styrofoam that is only going to come off with the next shed. I'm really intrigued as to what this could be LOL!

Adriannen

Bearded Dragon Egg
WAIT, I wonder if it's some sort of staining from the styrofoam. You said she dug at it and it got all over her. Maybe this is some sort of stubborn stain from the styrofoam that is only going to come off with the next shed. I'm really intrigued as to what this could be LOL!

The staining sounds definitely possible! I'll keep an eye on it for sure! Its definitely interesting! I've been looking through so many people's threads that have anything to do with black marks or weird scales lol haven't seen anything that looks like this so hopefully that means this is just innocuous. I'll send another pic in another few days as an update! The pic I posted last night I took then so we can compare.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yea I'm curious about this too it's just weird.. My thoughts are that it's her coloring coming out just in a odd way.. Or a fungal thing??? what's your humidity levels like? after these I'm out of guesses.. But my main idea is her doing some blackbearding coloring in her beard..

Adriannen

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yea I'm curious about this too it's just weird.. My thoughts are that it's her coloring coming out just in a odd way.. Or a fungal thing??? what's your humidity levels like? after these I'm out of guesses.. But my main idea is her doing some blackbearding coloring in her beard..

Humidity is alright! I live in Los Angeles so it's never really humid here. Her house stays an toasty 90-100 on the hot side and 70-80 on the cool side. I guess it could be coloring. I'm a first time Beardie owner so I've never seen colors present themselves this way. She's her usual excited self wandering around so it definitely doesn't bother her.

Sander Andrade

Juvenile Dragon
It doesn't look like something to worry about lol. Mine has the same thing on her beard, it's a little streak but it's noticeable lol. As long as she seems happy it's good! [emoji23]

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
One thing I want to add, she still looks a little young, I would make sure the basking spot is in the 105-107 range still. Once she hits 18 months (adult) then lower it to 98-100.

Adriannen

Bearded Dragon Egg
One thing I want to add, she still looks a little young, I would make sure the basking spot is in the 105-107 range still. Once she hits 18 months (adult) then lower it to 98-100.

Thank you for the tip! I have upped her temps to 105-107.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello. It looks like a bruise to me. She might have hit her face on the glass too hard while she was glass dancing. (Mine got a bruised beard one day for bumping the glass of his tank while glass dancing. He still does that. I wish I could put padded insulation in his tank surrounding all of his glass. This way, he won't hurt himself. Goofy boy prefers open view all around.

Latest posts