• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bella and George's new enclosure with rocks from my local quarry!!

colin

Hatchling Dragon
Hi I finished work today at 1200, and headed to the quarry just 5 miles from my home to source some natural stone for my viv....

I squired maybe more than I needed and they have been washed and placed in the oven at gass mark 6 for 1 hr 10 mins...

Can some one please advise if this will
Make the rock safe ?

I will also post some pics of my adventure which I must say I found so relaxing and beautiful even though I was on my own, rally felt nice after a days work!

:)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Baking your rocks is okay just make sure they are not wet when you put them in the oven. Rocks can explode in the oven if they are heated while they are still wet. There's another discussion on here about how to sanitize rocks.

colin

Hatchling Dragon
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400250384.889883.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400250399.851803.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400251898.393665.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400251912.442691.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400251924.010698.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400251933.779869.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400251941.447110.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400251961.382059.jpg

Once ready and placed into the vivarium I will take pics and show you :)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
OMG, what a beautiful place! It just looks so peaceful. When you said quarry I my mind went right to where Fred Flintstone works :p

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I totally love the new look! Love the "quarry" too. I live in southern Arizona where a quarry IS Fred Flinstones back yard.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
You're little ones are adorable! I really like the rocks!

colin

Hatchling Dragon
Lol lol thanks guys I have just got a new 3 foot viv for my first beardie who was very unwell and has been under intense UV and constant care for over a week at the pet shop, due to him being poorly...

Was really touch and go but I've been informed he will be coming home in the next 4 days :-D

So another trip to the quarry tomorrow and some creative thinking, and I want to make a natural cave for them to hide in...

Glad you liked the new look as soon as they saw it I could see the difference in their attitudes lol explore time!! Lol

anthony.price.50767984

Juvenile Dragon
Lol lol thanks guys I have just got a new 3 foot viv for my first beardie who was very unwell and has been under intense UV and constant care for over a week at the pet shop, due to him being poorly...

Was really touch and go but I've been informed he will be coming home in the next 4 days :-D

So another trip to the quarry tomorrow and some creative thinking, and I want to make a natural cave for them to hide in...

Glad you liked the new look as soon as they saw it I could see the difference in their attitudes lol explore time!! Lol
Are just using normal rocks picked up from a quarry?

colin

Hatchling Dragon
Yes but have cleaned them and baked them in the oven at gas mark 6 for an hr and half, before letting them cool and placing them into the enclosure.

colin

Hatchling Dragon
Yes, I washed them in just general washing up liquid and a rough cloth to remove any dirt or algi that may have been in them then rinced them under the tap before placing them into a baking tray and placing them into the oven fir an hour and half at gas mark 6.

The oven was cold when input them in so that they did not hear too quickly and break and they where in there for 2 hrs, but with half an hour allowance to heat up I calculate it at full heat for 1.5 hoursx

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
Just b careful coz the rocks can explode in the oven ;) dnt do it any higher than 200 degrees

Latest posts