• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie puberty?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
How can we lower temps on the floor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
by raising the lamps.. I know that's not what you want to hear lol When I got Izzy I did all sorts of tweeking here tweeking there...
I finally had to put shelf angle brackets above her tank to place her T5 on and on the basking area I use a clip dome that is adjustable so when I see her changing her behavior in what she wants I can adjust..

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
by raising the lamps.. I know that's not what you want to hear lol When I got Izzy I did all sorts of tweeking here tweeking there...
I finally had to put shelf angle brackets above her tank to place her T5 on and on the basking area I use a clip dome that is adjustable so when I see her changing her behavior in what she wants I can adjust..

At this point we are willing to try anything. It's so hard to get all temps correct. It's like if your spot on at the basking site the rest is too high. If your spot on with the cool side and warm side, the basking area is too low. We will try the clip dome to raise her light light you suggested. Hopefully this will help our girl out *fingers crossed*

Maddie

Juvenile Dragon
My only concern with that is she starts this behavior as soon as lights are on before it even has time to warm up. Also, when we had the 100w bulb which was way too hot she didn't behave this way. I think our girl is just going through puberty and we will have to try our best to please her and keep her calm.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My only concern with that is she starts this behavior as soon as lights are on before it even has time to warm up. Also, when we had the 100w bulb which was way too hot she didn't behave this way. I think our girl is just going through puberty and we will have to try our best to please her and keep her calm.

how hot did the 100 get?
and you may be right that she's just a wild child and needs plenty of stimulation for her brain...

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
you want to achieve a temp that she will gap which means she likes the temp and it feels good and that's how she's regulating her own temp.. They are thermoregulators..

Maddie

Juvenile Dragon
The log was getting up to 120 degrees which was great while she was a baby but she quickly grew out of that and needed it lower. When she's out she's an angel, as soon as we put her back in her viv she starts cage dancing and wigging out tearing everything up. If we could we would keep her out 24/7 but that's not good for her.

Maddie

Juvenile Dragon
you want to achieve a temp that she will gap which means she likes the temp and it feels good and that's how she's regulating her own temp.. They are thermoregulators..

When we first put the new bulb in she would gap but now she doesn't give it a chance she would rather run back and forth.

Maddie

Juvenile Dragon
Is she too young to lay eggs? She is 5 months old. Trying to mark out all possibilities.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The log was getting up to 120 degrees which was great while she was a baby but she quickly grew out of that and needed it lower. When she's out she's an angel, as soon as we put her back in her viv she starts cage dancing and wigging out tearing everything up. If we could we would keep her out 24/7 but that's not good for her.

lol Well it sounds like your doing the right things just keep trying to adjust height to lower the floor and cool area and you all may just have to do some tough love on her....

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
We are going to adjust the temps. Even if it doesn't work I think it would be good to have s clip dome or some way to adjust the light.
For now as much as I hate to do it, I put her in the cage and am just letting her act a fool. She's been out literally all day

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
8cfd122ee172aefe5907df8fe2f9ba34.jpg

Even our dog who never shows any interest in her is like "what is wrong with you?" [emoji23]

he is never around her Viv so this is very rare.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You know they make those dome light hangers that I think you slip the base under the viv and you can raise and lower it. I've seen them numerous places..

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
You know they make those dome light hangers that I think you slip the base under the viv and you can raise and lower it. I've seen them numerous places..

Thank you, we will look around online and see what we can find. I think something along those lines would be a wise investment. Plus I really just want my girl happy :/ I love her so much and hate it that she is unhappy with her Viv

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Is there a possibility that she could be unhappy with the size of her enclosure? It is a 40 gal which I know is the smallest recommended size. For now it's really all we can afford though until we build the bank up a little

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It's always possible...what you may think about doing to test things is since her viv is on the floor why don't you set up a little mini warming "station" outside of her viv and see what she does.....
We have a bedroom that is all safe from our cats and escape proof, can't eat anything, can't get stuck anywhere. So they each get their time running around free... What I did is stacked up some rocks to make a platform of sorts underneath a basking lamp... So when they get cool they go to the rocks and warm up then off they go again to run around.... They seem to really like it and use it while they are getting their exercise time.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
It's always possible...what you may think about doing to test things is since her viv is on the floor why don't you set up a little mini warming "station" outside of her viv and see what she does.....
We have a bedroom that is all safe from our cats and escape proof, can't eat anything, can't get stuck anywhere. So they each get their time running around free... What I did is stacked up some rocks to make a platform of sorts underneath a basking lamp... So when they get cool they go to the rocks and warm up then off they go again to run around.... They seem to really like it and use it while they are getting their exercise time.

That's a really good idea. We let her run and she will usually jump back into her Viv when she's cold. We will set up an extra basking light and use one of her fake rocks as an "out of enclosure" basking spot. Maybe she's just a free spirit and wants the choice to roam or not

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That's a really good idea. We let her run and she will usually jump back into her Viv when she's cold. We will set up an extra basking light and use one of her fake rocks as an "out of enclosure" basking spot. Maybe she's just a free spirit and wants the choice to roam or not

After all they are still "wild" things are hard wired them.. and she may just need certain things that are different than others, that makes them unique and a big reason we enjoy their personalities.. work with it and you may be surprised she may settle..

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thank you Hdrydr for all of your advice. We will try different things out and try our hardest to make her happy.
I don't like for my animals to feel like "pets" I like for them to feel like family. I want to enable her in using her own mind and give her the freedom to do so :) I really think the idea of giving her more freedom to explore with a portable basking light in the room would make her so happy

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you Hdrydr for all of your advice. We will try different things out and try our hardest to make her happy.
I don't like for my animals to feel like "pets" I like for them to feel like family. I want to enable her in using her own mind and give her the freedom to do so :) I really think the idea of giving her more freedom to explore with a portable basking light in the room would make her so happy

I hear ya we do the same here..

Latest posts