• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie puberty?

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hello everyone,
So Spyra has been off the walls full of energy the past couple of days. To call her hyper would be an understatement. When she sees one of us come into the room she starts cage dancing and going crazy tearing her decor apart, and she will do this for as long as it takes until I get her out. I give her playtime to run around the room frequently and I take her outside to play in the grass everyday for 30min-1hour. And on top of this she gets window time and watches tv with us every night. Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that she enjoys getting out and has so much playful energy. However, sometimes I would like to come into my room and be able to have some me time. I'm a college senior so I could really use a little study time here and there without worrying that she's going to hurt herself from going crazy in her Viv.

Another issue this hyper energy is creating is that she's not basking properly after she eats. Right after I feed her she knows I'm in the room obviously so she eats than immediately starts going nuts. I'll sit her on her basking log and she will leap right back off of it. So I have to go back outside in 95 degree weather and sit with her so she will bask in order to digest her food.
I was told that this sounds like bearded dragon puberty? And that it is something she will grow out of? I'm just wanting to get all of your thoughts on that
Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maddie

Juvenile Dragon
It's going to be a rough few months for us babe. I think she will get through this phase eventually. Does anyone know how long puberty lasts?

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
It's going to be a rough few months for us babe. I think she will get through this phase eventually. Does anyone know how long puberty lasts?

I have literally been catering to her since lights on this morning. I made the mistake of standing up and that was it lol. She seen me and didn't even give herself a chance to warm up before she began going crazy. After an hour of it I took her outside to warm up. It's been non stop. It's bad when you have to tip toe and be stealthy in your bedroom to keep your dragon from seeing/hearing you

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
lol that can be hard as they can be really bonded to us and it is super sweet and will melt your heart but I can see how that could be tough... Have you tried doing some "down time" and cover her sides of the tank with a removable whatever towel/cardboard?? will the fact that she can't see you calm her into thinking well guess I'll go bask... worth a try..
Some are very active and on the go most of the time, some are just really active when they are young and learning things, and some are lumps on logs.. literally.... My female Izzy (now a year and a half about. I got her a year ago this coming week and she was 3/4 months) was pretty active the first 6months then she turned into a lump :) I get her outside on her leash and after she's basked some then she will like to run around tasting things and exploring.. My male (now 9 months?) was very busy he still is for the most part but.....we moved him by a window and now all he does is stare out the window :)
Wish I knew how long it may last as well I have zero clue lol

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
lol that can be hard as they can be really bonded to us and it is super sweet and will melt your heart but I can see how that could be tough... Have you tried doing some "down time" and cover her sides of the tank with a removable whatever towel/cardboard?? will the fact that she can't see you calm her into thinking well guess I'll go bask... worth a try..
Some are very active and on the go most of the time, some are just really active when they are young and learning things, and some are lumps on logs.. literally.... My female Izzy (now a year and a half about. I got her a year ago this coming week and she was 3/4 months) was pretty active the first 6months then she turned into a lump :) I get her outside on her leash and after she's basked some then she will like to run around tasting things and exploring.. My male (now 9 months?) was very busy he still is for the most part but.....we moved him by a window and now all he does is stare out the window :)
Wish I knew how long it may last as well I have zero clue lol

It has been a rough few days. I feel like I have child that's at that age where they just started walking and getting into everything lol. I had herd of Beardie puberty but wasn't sure if it was a real thing or not until seeing her this way.

We did use vines to cover the sides of her tank to keep her from seeing her reflection. Now she will rip them down if she isn't taking out in time lol. She is also flipping her fake rock over and shreds any paper towel substrate we use. I can no longer leave veggie in her tank without them ending up spread from one end of her Viv to the other. I taped paper towels to the sides of her Viv but they were ripped to shreds in a matter of minutes smh. We are going to start using a towel just once in awhile to cover the front of her enclosure to see if that will help her relax. Im really keeping my fingers crossed as its really the only option left. She's so spoiled, I really think she has gotten so use to getting her way that now she won't settle for less.

I wish there was a way we could move her enclosure in front of a window like you did with your male. The only way I can get a few minutes of me time through out the day is if I let her have window time. I know she would love that

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It has been a rough few days. I feel like I have child that's at that age where they just started walking and getting into everything lol. I had herd of Beardie puberty but wasn't sure if it was a real thing or not until seeing her this way.

We did use vines to cover the sides of her tank to keep her from seeing her reflection. Now she will rip them down if she isn't taking out in time lol. She is also flipping her fake rock over and shreds any paper towel substrate we use. I can no longer leave veggie in her tank without them ending up spread from one end of her Viv to the other. I taped paper towels to the sides of her Viv but they were ripped to shreds in a matter of minutes smh. We are going to start using a towel just once in awhile to cover the front of her enclosure to see if that will help her relax. Im really keeping my fingers crossed as its really the only option left. She's so spoiled, I really think she has gotten so use to getting her way that now she won't settle for less.

I wish there was a way we could move her enclosure in front of a window like you did with your male. The only way I can get a few minutes of me time through out the day is if I let her have window time. I know she would love that

Yea his tank isn't infront of it but if he is on his basking log in the corner the window is within his sight as it's only 6 inches more to the right of his tank lol I'm actually thinking on covering that side for some time during the day to get him to move about his tank lol

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Yea his tank isn't infront of it but if he is on his basking log in the corner the window is within his sight as it's only 6 inches more to the right of his tank lol I'm actually thinking on covering that side for some time during the day to get him to move about his tank lol

If we could figure out a way to set her up like that I really think it would help her relax. It's something about a window that these guys/girls really seem to love. It puts Spyra into a trance for a little while lol. Makes me wonder what they are daydreaming about

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Today was no different. Lights came on and Spyra was off the walls. We did notice that she is shedding so we put her in a warm bath and so far it has calmed her down. So we are praying some of this behavior will pass after she sheds

Maddie

Juvenile Dragon
She was trying to walk upside down on the screen! I'm not sure what to do. We tried the blanket around the front and sides of the tank and she's still tearing everything up in her viv. It's worrying me because she's not getting the basking time she needs instead she does circles around the whole tank over and over jumping from one thing the other.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Can you post a picture of your tank maybe there is something in there or around her that is bugging her...

Maddie

Juvenile Dragon
000e210185002fe7d2742ed6272971e9.jpg

This is a pic from last night once she had calmed down. Excuse the paper towels since we are battling parasites we have found them to be most efficient when cleaning. We noticed this change right after we got her new log (she outgrew her other) and changed the basking bulb to 75w to get our temps right (95-108 on the basking log). It's like overnight her whole personality changed and now she's just a wild one lol. She can't even stay focused long enough to eat as we are feeding her worms she runs away then comes back like "oh yeah I was eating" it's just very strange and unlike her.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
000e210185002fe7d2742ed6272971e9.jpg

This is a pic from last night once she had calmed down. Excuse the paper towels since we are battling parasites we have found them to be most efficient when cleaning. We noticed this change right after we got her new log (she outgrew her other) and changed the basking bulb to 75w to get our temps right (95-108 on the basking log). It's like overnight her whole personality changed and now she's just a wild one lol. She can't even stay focused long enough to eat as we are feeding her worms she runs away then comes back like "oh yeah I was eating" it's just very strange and unlike her.

Is that a red light? if so I would get rid of that..
I would imagine battling parasites would be a big cause of distress.
Other than that maybe you just have a wild child..

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Is that a red light? if so I would get rid of that..
I would imagine battling parasites would be a big cause of distress.
Other than that maybe you just have a wild child..
No, our wall is red lol. It does look like a Red light in the pic though lol

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Are there any strong odors coming from anything in the tank? or a air freshener nearby that could be annoying her?

Maddie

Juvenile Dragon
No we keep the tank spotless so no odors. And I haven't used any air freshener. She just can not sit still for HOURS. It usually doesn't stop until two or three hours before lights out. She literally jumps on her log onto her wall then onto the other rock, cage dances, then back up on the log and it just repeats. I'm just worried something is bothering her but I don't know what it could be. It's been 2 or 3 days of this sort of behavior and I'm getting very concerned.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
She almost seems as if she can't get comfortable like something is hurting/irritating her. I haven't noticed any stress marks. And once she's out of the Viv she seems okay. So idk?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
She almost seems as if she can't get comfortable like something is hurting/irritating her. I haven't noticed any stress marks. And once she's out of the Viv she seems okay. So idk?

And she's pooping ok? Temps?

Maddie

Juvenile Dragon
She has pooped twice already today. She goes regularly, one to two times a day. I don't think it's that she can't get comfortable it's almost like her mind is racing and she's just all over the place. Her temps are 95-108 on her log, lower 90s on the floor on hot side and 80s on the cool side.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
She has pooped twice already today. She goes regularly, one to two times a day. I don't think it's that she can't get comfortable it's almost like her mind is racing and she's just all over the place. Her temps are 95-108 on her log, lower 90s on the floor on hot side and 80s on the cool side.

Bring the middle and cool side down more.. I would leave the basking temp but lower the floor on the hot more towards the 80's and the cool should go into the low 70's just as long as it's not below 65F She may be wanting out as it's too warm for her liking. She's trying to tell you something.

Maddie

Juvenile Dragon
Bring the middle and cool side down more.. I would leave the basking temp but lower the floor on the hot more towards the 80's and the cool should go into the low 70's just as long as it's not below 65F She may be wanting out as it's too warm for her liking. She's trying to tell you something.

How can we lower temps on the floor?

Latest posts