• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded Dragon Just Lays there All Day

Vanillablooos

Juvenile Dragon
Keep us up to date
after going to the vet, Spikes vet said he has a subluxation in his vertabrae. The vet said he is most likely low on calcium so I'm thinking of giving him some sweet potatoes in baby food form ans mix in some calcium and feed him. I tried to give him some Dubias this morning, but he wouldn't eat

Bostonfinest

Juvenile Dragon
after going to the vet, Spikes vet said he has a subluxation in his vertabrae. The vet said he is most likely low on calcium so I'm thinking of giving him some sweet potatoes in baby food form ans mix in some calcium and feed him. I tried to give him some Dubias this morning, but he wouldn't eat
That is likely do to not getting enough UVB, did you go on reptilebasics.com or do you have any calcium supplements

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I do have a calcium supplement. I got the calcium from my local pets store. I picked up some wax worms for him as well.
Dont feed them too often wax worms are real fatty and fed long term and too many can cause liver damage -- how did the vet appt go? As long as your UVB is in good standing and basking temps are what they should be he will eat --

Vanillablooos

Juvenile Dragon
Dont feed them too often wax worms are real fatty and fed long term and too many can cause liver damage -- how did the vet appt go? As long as your UVB is in good standing and basking temps are what they should be he will eat --
The vet said he has a subluxation in his vertabrae and it could have been caused by the UVB and lack of calcium. The vet said he could get better but it will take some time

Vanillablooos

Juvenile Dragon
Did they say what to do about the spine issue? Will he keep flipping over or can he get stronger with the proper heat and light? Love the picture in the box - he’s a cutie!!
The vet said to just keep giving him calcium and make sure his IVB and heat are in good standing. The vet said it may take some time for him to heal. Thank you!! He's a great beardie!!!!

Bostonfinest

Juvenile Dragon
The vet said to just keep giving him calcium and make sure his IVB and heat are in good standing. The vet said it may take some time for him to heal. Thank you!! He's a great beardie!!!!
I would order some BSFL and Repashy grub hub. With BSFL they are loaded with calcium and don’t need the calcium supplements

Vanillablooos

Juvenile Dragon
I'm hoping Spike will recover soon!!! I wonder if there is anyway I can promote him trying to use his back legs to promote strength?

Attachments

• BE9EC8AE-A382-4C1A-B0C9-853DA0A60DC2.jpeg
    BE9EC8AE-A382-4C1A-B0C9-853DA0A60DC2.jpeg
    911.2 KB · Views: 8

Vanillablooos

Juvenile Dragon
I have been putting him in the tub to bath but he just sits there. I cant get him to move. Our vet was kind enough to give us some syringes. I just gave him some water. At first, he didn't want to drink as if he was not thirsty. Then, I pulled on the bottom of his mouth to encourage him to open and he did! He drank water for me!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have been putting him in the tub to bath but he just sits there. I cant get him to move. Our vet was kind enough to give us some syringes. I just gave him some water. At first, he didn't want to drink as if he was not thirsty. Then, I pulled on the bottom of his mouth to encourage him to open and he did! He drank water for me!
Make sure you administrator slow- let him drink and swallow what you put in-- you don't want him to aspirate--the bathing might encourage him to use his back legs- did the vet tell you to do any therapy? I am going to see if I can get some help w/ his diagnosis

Vanillablooos

Juvenile Dragon
Make sure you administrator slow- let him drink and swallow what you put in-- you don't want him to aspirate--the bathing might encourage him to use his back legs- did the vet tell you to do any therapy? I am going to see if I can get some help w/ his diagnosis
Oh for sure!! I'm not giving him too much at one time. I take it slow with him. The vet did not suggest any type of therapy. That would be a good thing if I could work with his legs. One good note that I failed to mention was, the vet pulled on his toes so there's no nerve damage because Spike did move his legs when the vet pulled on them. I had some the same thing here at the house before taking him to the vet, so there's still hope!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh for sure!! I'm not giving him too much at one time. I take it slow with him. The vet did not suggest any type of therapy. That would be a good thing if I could work with his legs. One good note that I failed to mention was, the vet pulled on his toes so there's no nerve damage because Spike did move his legs when the vet pulled on them. I had some the same thing here at the house before taking him to the vet, so there's still hope!
Ok good -- the UVB and calcium are going to help him out --- I am checking w/ the person about the subluxation

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Good deal!!! I appreciate that!!!
Here is the response I got from a vet tech mod --
For a subluxation in the vertebrae, they will have to keep the activity of
their dragon very limited. There is obvious swelling of the area which is
pinching or pressing on the nerves which is the cause of the back leg
paralysis.
Water therapy can be helpful but care must be taken so that they don't
hurt him further. Have they moved his basking & UVB lighting down to a
lower distance so that he doesn't have to try & climb up to it?
How did this happen?

Latest posts