• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Baby spaces out?

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
Hi everyone! I have noticed that sometimes when I am feeding Baby he acts interested in the crickets at first but then he almost starts to space out and start looking around his enclosure and I literally have to move his head for him to see the crickets and then he'll eat them. I know he is not full when that happens because sometimes he will do it after only 1 cricket, he'll just start gazing elsewhere and I am wondering if that is normal of beardies to do sometimes or maybe he just isn't that hungry or something? I am not TOO concerned because he IS still eating, it just concerns me a little bit when I practically put a cricket in front of his face and he won't notice it because he is spacing out. I put this in the health section because I didn't know if this might be a health thing or just a behavior, so sorry if it's in the wrong section! But has anyone else noticed this type of behavior with their beardies?

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
Sometimes my dragon won't eat when there are new people in the room watching me feed him. When we all leave then he'll get to eating. Is there anything distracting to him in the room?

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Hi BeardieBaby :). Augie's got a great point there, but a lot of times they'll eat in snatches throughout the day. Just leave the room after you feed Baby for about 15-20 minutes.

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
Hi Augie and Aleena! I don't notice anything in the room that could possibly be distracting him, it's so bizarre like he just stares. Also my beardie is very lazy and spoiled lol and he won't eat unless the crickets are practically in front of his face(which I lead to him of else he will just sit there) although the other day I dropped a glass of a bunch of crickets in his cage by mistake lol and he ate up a bunch of them really quickly by himself which was fun and nice to see at the same time! I don't like the idea of dropping a bunch of crickets in there at once though because for some reason which I have tried to fix, they get under the repti-carpet and then I can't find them and I don't like the fact of crickets in there at night time obviousl while Baby is sleeping. I've tried taping the sides and ends to the tank so there are no spaces for the crickets to get under, but then the tape wears out fast and they go under the tape and everytime I clean the cage I have to take the old tape out and add a bunch of new tape. There MUST be an easier way to work with repti-carpet. Even with Babys basking spot which is a tile on some bricks the repti carpet is uneven and theres always places for the crickets to get under. Any ideas?

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
I got nothin', sorry! My guy is still little so I am using paper towels. It's easy with them, I just turn up the corners at night and scoop up the crickets to put them back in their container. Now that I am using roaches it's even easier.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hmm. Mine does that when she eats her salads. She waits for me to leave before attacking her salad. If I'm not there and I leave her a salad before leaving, she won't touch it. (I've got to put her in front of her salad in order for her to eat.) She's pretty funny when she goes to eat her crickets. She doesn't hunt them even if I put them into a bin or her tank. She'll sit there and wait for them to come to her. I now feed her out of a cricket keeper because the crickets are too fast for her. She does an impressive display of hitting the cricket keeper with her mouth tip and tongue, and sexy legs.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I've tried taping the sides and ends to the tank so there are no spaces for the crickets to get under, but then the tape wears out fast and they go under the tape and everytime I clean the cage I have to take the old tape out and add a bunch of new tape. There MUST be an easier way to work with repti-carpet.

I've had this same issue with newspaper or paper towels. It's a pain in the neck, and I've done the taping down and everything LOL! I've realized it's much easier just to put something heavy on all corners and in areas that would bend over.

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
. There MUST be an easier way to work with repti-carpet. Even with Babys basking spot which is a tile on some bricks the repti carpet is uneven and theres always places for the crickets to get under. Any ideas?

There is a a very easy, inexpensive fix for the repti-carpet dilemma...takes about 5 minutes and costs less than $15 :)

For a 40 gallon Breeder tank (CritterCage) all you need do is go to Lowes and purchase: (3) 12 x 12 tiles and (6) 6 x 6 tiles and have them cut as follows. (Lowes will cut them for FREE for you in most locations)

-Have them cut 2 of the 12 x 12 tiles to 12 x 11.5 and the remaining 12 x 12 tile to 11.5 x 11.5
-Have them cut 1 of the 6 x 6 tiles to 6 x 5.5

-Optional- you can use 1/4 inch clear airline tubing sold at Lowes by the foot (cheap cents per foot) to fill in any gaps between the tiles or between the tiles and tank sides if needed.
Here is the layout I use in Mungi's 40 gallon Breeder tank....

40gbtilesetup.jpg

It's a quick, easy and cheap mod that is very attractive and easy to keep clean and no worries as far as live feeders getting under it either...OH and as for the Repti-Carpet...it can go in the trash:)

Enjoy!!

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
@Aleena...that is so funny that you have tried the tape too! And I thought I was doing something wrong! hehe :)
@ Mungi-Thank you SO much for letting me know the measurements and the easier way to deal with this issue! The repti-carpet not only allows crickets under it, but even when I clean it, it doesn't seem clean! I am going to print out your measurement picture and bring it to Lowes or Home Depot because it's too confusing for me to explain all that in words haha! Can't wait to throw that crap in the trash! YAY! :D

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
@BeardieBaby....Home Depot will not cut the tiles for you. You will need to go to Lowes and ask them. I know that the GM at the Lowes here told me that most of Lowes locations will still cut tiles for free if you buy the tiles from them.

Also be sure to use tiles that have a texture like the natural slate or granite tiles for example. Just don't use any that have a slick shiny finish like the marbles or glazed tiles.

I would get the tiles put in the tank and then you can decide if you want to use or need the air line tubing I mentioned to fill the gaps if any. If you do then it's located in the plumbing section in big rolls but it's sold by the foot. I have a couple of gaps around the edge filled with it and all you do is push the tubing into the gap carefully with a flat head screwdriver.

Always glad when I can help and am looking forward to seeing the tiles in Baby's enclosure when you get them:)

Enjoy!!

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
@Mungi-I am so glad that I came on here right now because I was just about to head to Home Depot and I would not have known that Home Depot does not cut them for you! There is a Lowes close to me as well so that is a relief that I checked my messages now! Also, I need some ideas on how to change Babys tank around a bit. It's a bit too cluttered and sometimes when he goes off his hammock he gets stuck on one side because he can't figure out how to climb on his log to get to the tile to get to the hammock(complicated, I know LOL) He seems to really enjoy the hammock and the stick, so maybe I should only keep those in there? Not too sure....any ideas??

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
He seems to really enjoy the hammock and the stick, so maybe I should only keep those in there? Not too sure....any ideas??
You really don't need much more then that in there. I mean... keep the food dish though lol. If you're switching to tile then you don't even need a rock in there.

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
Thanks Aleena...I took out a few things that I had in there that was cramping up space and it looks much better now, I just hope Baby can readjust to it and doesn't get too stressed out because the last time he got stressed out he got parasites and got really sick as you can remember and almost died! I didn't add any new items, just took some out and rearranged. He should get used to it quickly though,(Hopefully!) Also, I went to get the tiles at Lowes, and the guy was really rude to me and told me he wouldn't cut them for me for some odd reason. He did not have a good explanation and I probably should have talked to the manager but I didn't have the courage. So, I did end up buying SOME tile so the tank looks a bit funny now as half of it is tile and the other half is paper towel right now. Don't really know of any places around here that cut tile so I'll have to do some research I suppose. It still is better than nothing though, I guess. :rolleyes:

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
They wouldn't cut the tile for you? Sounds silly, and borderline dubious. Of course, you have to realize that Lowe's doesn't emphasize hiring awesome people (and supports that ideology by not paying well and working them hard). My best advice is to call ahead and talk to someone that is willing to do it, and ask for them when you get there. I don't know for sure if they would cut tile for you, but it makes sense because they will cut wood and tubing to spec for customers too. Maybe double check the website and use that as firepower for when you call? :)

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
@BeardieBaby....you need to go back to that Lowes and ask to speak with the manager. Sounds like you were dealing with a lazy employee. If the store has a tile cutting machine which will be back in the tile area usually behind some blinds then they are suppose to cut them for you. The manager needs to be aware that they have a lazy employee that is not treating or is lying to customers. There is really no excuse for him not making those few cuts for you.
If by chance Lowes has stopped offering the service in your particular local store then try looking in the phone book for tile suppliers or even glass shops to see if they will cut the stuff for you for a reasonable fee or if they might know of someone that will cut them for you.
I have actually found a tile floor contractor before and met them out on a job site and they have made a few quick cuts for me and most times didn't even charge me....you are only needing 5 cuts total.
I will tell you that a lot of time at Lowes they will ask you to mark the tiles. That's not anything difficult...just use a ruler or tape measure and mark the lines with a sharpie pen on the bottom of the tile. You have the dimensions for each tile on that diagram I posted and will actually only need to mark 4 of the tiles - one of the 6x6's and the 3 12x12's...will only take a minute or two.
Anyway I do hope that you will call and talk to the Lowes manager and hope you can get them cut.
Have a good weekend!:)

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
Thank you so much for your reply! The guy at Lowes did definitely seem lazy and very unwilling to help me. I suppose I should have asked to talk to the manager but I was so angry I just walked out of the store. I think there is a tile store near my house so I will give them a call and see how much they will charge to cut the tiles.

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
What about Home Depot? If you have those up there call ahead and give them a shot. They aren't much better than Lowes, but at least you won't have to potentially bother with working with the same knucklehead that waved you away.

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
What about Home Depot? .....

I was told that Home Depot Stores have stopped their service of cutting tiles for customers. Lowes currently still offers the service but has plans to discontinue the service as well in the not too distant future.

It's really a shame that both of those stores built their customer base and loyalty on helping the Do It Yourself crowd and both have slowly morphed into just a big box warehouse; Home Depot once was a place that specifically hired staff that were pros in each area to advise DIYers but now you are lucky if you can find anyone to even help you locate things you need. They will offer help but then most times it is quickly apparent that they don't know any better than you where the product is or how to use it. Lowes' is beginning to reveal they are really not much better and their awesome slogan " Let's build something together." is fast fading and will become extinct and as most other corporate big businesses exchanged for the "least possible customer service for the most dollars" attitude.

I can honestly say that at one time both Lowes and Home Depot while being big box stores still gave me the feeling of "old school" lumber and hardware stores where you went not only to buy the supplies you need for your current project but also where because of the knowledgeable real customer service new projects and ideas were born. That creative atmosphere has literally translated into thousands of dollars of my money being spent with both Lowes and Home Depot over the years. I can not count the number of times I have gone to those stores with a specific list and walked out with much more because while inside a new project was born with an idea given to me by a knowledgeable staff member. Sadly now days both places are strictly places I go when I need a few supplies and my projects are all planned out in detail before I even enter the store because I know that were I to ask for assistance in answering a question from most customer service staff no answer or worse the absolutely incorrect info will be forth coming...smh.

LOL...oops sorry for the rant...it's a sore subject for me..lol...short answer is -No Home Depot Will Not Cut Tiles For You:)

Enjoy The Day!!

Latest posts