• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Baby dragon basking, but not at the "right spot"?

Curry’s owner

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi everyone,

I just got a bearded dragon about 2 weeks ago. It's about 2 1/2 months old and about 7" long overall.

Tank information: 4' wide by 2' tall by 18" deep
UVB source: Exo Terra Sunray, 70W
Basking lamps: Exo Terra intense basking spot 150W plus Zoo Med Repti halogen 75W
Cool side lamps: Exo Terra Repti vision 13W + 26W

Hot side ambient temperature: 38 degrees Celsius measured with digital probe thermometer
Cool side ambient temperature: 31 degrees Celsius measured with digital probe thermometer

Yes there is a total of five lamps burning. All lamps are placed above the top mesh of the terrarium.
View attachment 29306

That's the hot side configuration. The intended basking spot is the square hay net, which is directly underneath the Sunray bulb. A third digital probe measures 42 degrees Celsius there (see the black wire).

My concern is that my dragon - whom I have named Cliffhanger because it likes sleeping on the side wall - never seems to be basking in that spot. It has a few other spots, one of which is underneath that net, on top of the buffalo skull where it is right now. My infrared thermometer measures about 37 degrees Celsius there.

Other spots include that thin branch partially obscuring it. It's 35 Celsius where it likes to be. Or on that split branch to the left, again about 35 Celsius where it likes to be. Occasionally it likes hugging that piece of cholla cactus where it's about 39 Celsius.

As far as I can tell it has no pronounced issues. Cliffhanger eats over two dozen medium sized crickets (between 3/8" to 1/2" long) per feeding. It eats greens (frisee endive and rocket arugula) without issue. It's quite active in chasing loose crickets and running away from my hand when I try to pick it up. Stools seem fine from what I can tell, most importantly there are no undigested bits in there.

I'm thinking maybe there's too much UV(B) directly underneath the Sunray where its intended basking spot is? I'm waiting on a local retailer to restock Solarmeters, and from reading Dr. Frances Bairns's articles I know that metal halide bulbs can output quite an intense level of UVB.

Thoughts?

View attachment 29307
And here's why it's named Cliffhanger. Slept like that.
We have a 2 1/2 year old dragon. It took me months to figure out the best set up.
for basking I have a piece of slate on top of a hide. I’ve read warning their bellies is what they need to do to digest properly. Funny that he will lie flat on his slate and then poop off the side, every time! Above it I have a 50 and 150 watt basking bulb. In the winter I put a 100 and 150 watt above. They are about 12inchesi

Curry’s owner

Bearded Dragon Egg
Oops. Ad made me post my unfinished reply
Inches away. Directly next next to the basking spot is a Reptisun T8 10 uvb.
This light and rock set up was a game changer in his activity. I would highly suggest using a flat rock for basking , it’s what they’d do in the wild.
we feed collards as a staple.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 15

Thundercat

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thank you for your reply. I'd appreciate it if the herp community as a whole stopped propagating the "CFL is bad" myth. Yes, undeniably, there were some CFL bulbs from some manufacturers that gave out UVC some time ago. This, however, has been corrected.

Furthermore, the coil bulbs I am using are not even UVB bulbs. They are UVA and vision bulbs: http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/reptile_vision.php

And regarding the Sunray bulb: http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/sunray_bulb.php
The coil bulbs aren't good for them. They need uvb across the length of the cage. You do want them trying to choose between heat and uvb. I've had my baby for 4 yrs and he is quit healthy. Go to petsmart and get a branch that can get closer to heat lamp and maybe try a hammock, they love them to sleep on.
Thank you for your reply. I'd appreciate it if the herp community as a whole stopped propagating the "CFL is bad" myth. Yes, undeniably, there were some CFL bulbs from some manufacturers that gave out UVC some time ago. This, however, has been corrected.

Furthermore, the coil bulbs I am using are not even UVB bulbs. They are UVA and vision bulbs: http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/reptile_vision.php

And regarding the Sunray bulb: http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/sunray_bulb.php
You should get rid of that coil bulb. They need uvb across the length of their cage. You don't want them fighting over heat and uvb. Go to petsmart and get him a branch that gets closer to heat lamp, not to close. Also get a temperature gun so you can measure the basking spot. You also want to create a gradient for the heat. Start at 85 up to the 105. That way he can choose his spots that are comfortable throughout th day. Also get a hammock and a hide. They love relaxing on the hammock and the hide for a place to hide away. Make sure you bond with him regularly, take him out of the cage for a hr or so a day. I've been doing that since mine was 6 months old. I can take him to the store and he just chills on my shoulder.

Thundercat

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Addendum: It's had "stress marks" on the throat and belly ever since I got it. Could it be indications of something?

Hi everyone,

I just got a bearded dragon about 2 weeks ago. It's about 2 1/2 months old and about 7" long overall.

Basking lamps: Exo Terra intense basking spot 150W plus Zoo Med Repti halogen 75W

Hot side ambient temperature: 38 degrees Celsius measured with digital probe thermometer
Cool side ambient temperature: 31 degrees Celsius measured with digital probe thermometer

Yes there is a total of five lamps burning. All lamps are placed above the top mesh of the terrarium.
View attachment 29306

That's the hot side configuration. The intended basking spot is the square hay net, which is directly underneath the Sunray bulb. A third digital probe measures 42 degrees Celsius there (see the black wire).

My concern is that my dragon - whom I have named Cliffhanger because it likes sleeping on the side wall - never seems to be basking in that spot. It has a few other spots, one of which is underneath that net, on top of the buffalo skull where it is right now. My infrared thermometer measures about 37 degrees Celsius there.

Other spots include that thin branch partially obscuring it. It's 35 Celsius where it likes to be. Or on that split branch to the left, again about 35 Celsius where it likes to be. Occasionally it likes hugging that piece of cholla cactus where it's about 39 Celsius.

As far as I can tell it has no pronounced issues. Cliffhanger eats over two dozen medium sized crickets (between 3/8" to 1/2" long) per feeding. It eats greens (frisee endive and rocket arugula) without issue. It's quite active in chasing loose crickets and running away from my hand when I try to pick it up. Stools seem fine from what I can tell, most importantly there are no undigested bits in there.

I'm thinking maybe there's too much UV(B) directly underneath the Sunray where its intended basking spot is? I'm waiting on a local retailer to restock Solarmeters, and from reading Dr. Frances Bairns's articles I know that metal halide bulbs can output quite an intense level of UVB.

Thoughts?

View attachment 29307
Hi everyone,

View attachment 29306

Thoughts?

View attachment 29307
Hi everyone,

View attachment 29306

Thoughts?

View attachment 29307
This is Rhaegal in his cage, he is upgrading soon.

Attachments

• 16311170939712096121296810501253.jpg
    16311170939712096121296810501253.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
  • 20210828_132836.jpg
    20210828_132836.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 7

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi everyone,

View attachment 29306

Thoughts?

View attachment 29307
Hi we rescue and rehome and we need to make some changes to get him happy. It’s very dark in there and the lighting/UVB is incorrect and he needs a hideaway. First of all u need a heat lamp & proper UVB. For heat get the zoomed “CLEAR”basking bulb 100Watt or u can try a 75watt; buy, try, use and u can alway return to petco & Petsmart even if it’s used or it breaks return it. The temp for a baby under 6Mnths should be 100-105. Then u also need the Reptisun 10.0 T5 for UVB; it’s a long tubular bulb & it needs to be placed at least 10inches minimum away or more from the Beardie. This UVB & all UVB’s need replacing every 6Mnths religiously or the Beardie will get MBD. The length U order should Cover 70 percent of the tank Amd be placed starting at the hot side & he needs a hideaway. Order a basking platform that is like a cave or got to Petsmart they have severalto chose from & get a hammock to place behind the he basking spot and that can be a hideaway as well a soft cloth on top and a fleece blanket under they love soft and fluffy. Never ever use Mercury bulbs they are deadly, or colored or coiled bulbs; u have way too many lights going on. Just heat and UVB. Both on for 10-12 hours in the winter and on the summer 12-14. At nite no lights on. U may use a 60 watt ceramic heat emitter for him till he gets to be over 6Mnths old to keep him warm at nite. After 7mnths old he will only need that in the winter to keep temp from dropping below 70. U need a digital thermometer & digital hygrometer, Petsmart $10 and an infrared gun from Home Depot to shine an inch away from the basking spot to monitor the temps periodically. The Humidity should be 30-40 never higher. As he turns into an adult over 7mnths temp should be 95-98 not higher. He should be eating crickets & Dubia roaches 4-5 times a day at his age dusted in calcium powder 4 times per week once per day; sprinkle it like salt on fries; & herptivite vitamin powder once per day/week on a non calcium day. keep the same feeding times & wait till an hour of basking for the 1st feeding and always a plate of veggies and greens to munch on all day. Mustard greens, yellow squash, collard greens, dandelions, butternut squash. Snap peas, green beans some res bell pepper. Those are the everyday greens/veggies. A few times a week some fruits as treats hand feed to introduce and bond with your beardie. Blieberrries, papayas Amd mangoes ans some bananas are great fruits. Never do meal worms they are a cheap feeder & will impact them and hurt their tummy. For Substrate use paper towels or white terry cloth towels. Keep the cage super duper clean or they can get parasites. They ingest sand so don’t use sand. Mist him a few times a day and baths twice a week for 15min minimum in lukewarm water dechlorinated water & more baths when shedding. Buy Reptisafe to remove the chlorine. Remove app food and water at bedtime from the cage or he can get sick. Follow all this and u should have a healthy thriving dragon attached are some photos of the enclosure and what to buy.

Attachments

• 6877D14D-DE11-4027-B627-405EE958068D.jpeg
    6877D14D-DE11-4027-B627-405EE958068D.jpeg
    748.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 49B1092F-DA99-4155-B0C3-6FE54F3F18DE.jpeg
    49B1092F-DA99-4155-B0C3-6FE54F3F18DE.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 4
  • 61479634-7878-42F9-A978-BA13C89AEEA0.jpeg
    61479634-7878-42F9-A978-BA13C89AEEA0.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg