• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Baby dragon basking, but not at the "right spot"?

cliffhanger

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi everyone,

I just got a bearded dragon about 2 weeks ago. It's about 2 1/2 months old and about 7" long overall.

Tank information: 4' wide by 2' tall by 18" deep
UVB source: Exo Terra Sunray, 70W
Basking lamps: Exo Terra intense basking spot 150W plus Zoo Med Repti halogen 75W
Cool side lamps: Exo Terra Repti vision 13W + 26W

Hot side ambient temperature: 38 degrees Celsius measured with digital probe thermometer
Cool side ambient temperature: 31 degrees Celsius measured with digital probe thermometer

Yes there is a total of five lamps burning. All lamps are placed above the top mesh of the terrarium.
View attachment DSC_0462.JPG

That's the hot side configuration. The intended basking spot is the square hay net, which is directly underneath the Sunray bulb. A third digital probe measures 42 degrees Celsius there (see the black wire).

My concern is that my dragon - whom I have named Cliffhanger because it likes sleeping on the side wall - never seems to be basking in that spot. It has a few other spots, one of which is underneath that net, on top of the buffalo skull where it is right now. My infrared thermometer measures about 37 degrees Celsius there.

Other spots include that thin branch partially obscuring it. It's 35 Celsius where it likes to be. Or on that split branch to the left, again about 35 Celsius where it likes to be. Occasionally it likes hugging that piece of cholla cactus where it's about 39 Celsius.

As far as I can tell it has no pronounced issues. Cliffhanger eats over two dozen medium sized crickets (between 3/8" to 1/2" long) per feeding. It eats greens (frisee endive and rocket arugula) without issue. It's quite active in chasing loose crickets and running away from my hand when I try to pick it up. Stools seem fine from what I can tell, most importantly there are no undigested bits in there.

I'm thinking maybe there's too much UV(B) directly underneath the Sunray where its intended basking spot is? I'm waiting on a local retailer to restock Solarmeters, and from reading Dr. Frances Bairns's articles I know that metal halide bulbs can output quite an intense level of UVB.

Thoughts?

DSC_0451.JPG

And here's why it's named Cliffhanger. Slept like that.

cliffhanger

Bearded Dragon Egg
Addendum: It's had "stress marks" on the throat and belly ever since I got it. Could it be indications of something?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Addendum: It's had "stress marks" on the throat and belly ever since I got it. Could it be indications of something?
Yes get rid of the coil UVB's they are NO good - get a 24" fixture like a 24" Zoo Med Sunblaster or Arcadia Pro T 5 fixture w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or Arcadia 12% --- please post a pic of the tank so I can see how its set up you should be getting good basking temps w/ a 150 watt bulb --- something is off --- but the UVB needs to be replaced ASAP - you want a good UVB and what your using I have never heard of before --- the stress marks are from the UVB I am thinking especially the coils -

cliffhanger

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes get rid of the coil UVB's they are NO good - get a 24" fixture like a 24" Zoo Med Sunblaster or Arcadia Pro T 5 fixture w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or Arcadia 12% --- please post a pic of the tank so I can see how its set up you should be getting good basking temps w/ a 150 watt bulb --- something is off --- but the UVB needs to be replaced ASAP - you want a good UVB and what your using I have never heard of before --- the stress marks are from the UVB I am thinking especially the coils -
Thank you for your reply. I'd appreciate it if the herp community as a whole stopped propagating the "CFL is bad" myth. Yes, undeniably, there were some CFL bulbs from some manufacturers that gave out UVC some time ago. This, however, has been corrected.

Furthermore, the coil bulbs I am using are not even UVB bulbs. They are UVA and vision bulbs: http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/reptile_vision.php

And regarding the Sunray bulb: http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/sunray_bulb.php

Vic and Mars

Juvenile Dragon
Thank you for your reply. I'd appreciate it if the herp community as a whole stopped propagating the "CFL is bad" myth. Yes, undeniably, there were some CFL bulbs from some manufacturers that gave out UVC some time ago. This, however, has been corrected.

Furthermore, the coil bulbs I am using are not even UVB bulbs. They are UVA and vision bulbs: http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/reptile_vision.php

And regarding the Sunray bulb: http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/sunray_bulb.php
This may not have anything to do with his behavior, but if you're going to feed arugula at all, it should be very little as it can be toxic

cliffhanger

Bearded Dragon Egg
This may not have anything to do with his behavior, but if you're going to feed arugula at all, it should be very little as it can be toxic
Thank you. Is it due to the potential vitamin A toxicity?

I'm having a really hard time finding the "staple" greens here. Nobody sells cali greens, mustard greens, or turnip greens. Finding frisee endive (and not the white Belgian type) was hard enough.

Vic and Mars

Juvenile Dragon

I'm having a really hard time finding the "staple" greens here. Nobody sells cali greens, mustard greens, or turnip greens. Finding frisee endive (and not the white Belgian type) was hard enough.
Is is because of the amount of goitrogens. And yikes. are you able to order fresh produce online? You could also try to get the things needed to grow veggies. Or you could collect some from outside (as long as they haven't been sprayed with chemicals or pesticides). There are several different flowers they can have, such as clovers and dandelions. And dandelion greens are a good staple.

cliffhanger

Bearded Dragon Egg
Is is because of the amount of goitrogens. And yikes. are you able to order fresh produce online? You could also try to get the things needed to grow veggies. Or you could collect some from outside (as long as they haven't been sprayed with chemicals or pesticides). There are several different flowers they can have, such as clovers and dandelions. And dandelion greens are a good staple.
I have some dandelion leaves from my dad's yard. I know for a fact that he doesn't use any sort of pesticide or herbicide on his lawn.

But of course that won't work during Canadian winters.

I'll have to look for more sources.

Krystal0

Juvenile Dragon
Hi everyone,

I just got a bearded dragon about 2 weeks ago. It's about 2 1/2 months old and about 7" long overall.

Tank information: 4' wide by 2' tall by 18" deep
UVB source: Exo Terra Sunray, 70W
Basking lamps: Exo Terra intense basking spot 150W plus Zoo Med Repti halogen 75W
Cool side lamps: Exo Terra Repti vision 13W + 26W

Hot side ambient temperature: 38 degrees Celsius measured with digital probe thermometer
Cool side ambient temperature: 31 degrees Celsius measured with digital probe thermometer

Yes there is a total of five lamps burning. All lamps are placed above the top mesh of the terrarium.
View attachment 29306

That's the hot side configuration. The intended basking spot is the square hay net, which is directly underneath the Sunray bulb. A third digital probe measures 42 degrees Celsius there (see the black wire).

My concern is that my dragon - whom I have named Cliffhanger because it likes sleeping on the side wall - never seems to be basking in that spot. It has a few other spots, one of which is underneath that net, on top of the buffalo skull where it is right now. My infrared thermometer measures about 37 degrees Celsius there.

Other spots include that thin branch partially obscuring it. It's 35 Celsius where it likes to be. Or on that split branch to the left, again about 35 Celsius where it likes to be. Occasionally it likes hugging that piece of cholla cactus where it's about 39 Celsius.

As far as I can tell it has no pronounced issues. Cliffhanger eats over two dozen medium sized crickets (between 3/8" to 1/2" long) per feeding. It eats greens (frisee endive and rocket arugula) without issue. It's quite active in chasing loose crickets and running away from my hand when I try to pick it up. Stools seem fine from what I can tell, most importantly there are no undigested bits in there.

I'm thinking maybe there's too much UV(B) directly underneath the Sunray where its intended basking spot is? I'm waiting on a local retailer to restock Solarmeters, and from reading Dr. Frances Bairns's articles I know that metal halide bulbs can output quite an intense level of UVB.

Thoughts?

View attachment 29307
And here's why it's named Cliffhanger. Slept like that.
Nice tank

Rusty

Juvenile Dragon

Dandelion greens, kale, and even cilantro parsley, or mint leaves can be found usually in most stores, don't believe what they say about kale, it is great green for your dragon, i pick dandelions in summer, but we don't have pesticides anywhere near my property, you could also start a herb garden and clip fresh greens, from your windows

cliffhanger

Bearded Dragon Egg
Dandelion greens, kale, and even cilantro parsley, or mint leaves can be found usually in most stores, don't believe what they say about kale, it is great green for your dragon, i pick dandelions in summer, but we don't have pesticides anywhere near my property, you could also start a herb garden and clip fresh greens, from your windows
That's a great idea. I have kale and cilantro is readily available.

What do you think about Cliffhanger's "not basking where I'd like it to" thing?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

Rusty

Juvenile Dragon
That's a great idea. I have kale and cilantro is readily available.

What do you think about Cliffhanger's "not basking where I'd like it to" thing?
If he is eating and active, if he goes to bathroom, then he is just getting used to his new set up,
If he doest seem to be eating or popping, then maybe move the lights to his needs, my Rusty tells me what he needs usually, i make nice spot looks good, he likes other side on tree, i move lights, he is happy lol

cliffhanger

Bearded Dragon Egg
I did not buy a pet store enclosure "kit". Everything is put together by myself using commercial off-the-shelf items.

Rusty

Juvenile Dragon
If he is eating and active, if he goes to bathroom, then he is just getting used to his new set up,
If he doest seem to be eating or popping, then maybe move the lights to his needs, my Rusty tells me what he needs usually, i make nice spot looks good, he likes other side on tree, i move lights, he is happy lol
Love his name and love his cling to sleep, lol they do have little personalities, and they are stubborn, so i always give a day or 2 before i panic, watch for changes in behaviour

cliffhanger

Bearded Dragon Egg
You're most likely correct about my dragon getting used to the new tank. The setup you see with the hay netting is the "final" one I rigged up only 2 days ago. So the constantly-changing environment might be confusing for my little guy there.

But no observable/obvious issues with eating or pooping. Quite an appetite too! It's amazing how two dozen crickets even fit in its stomach.

Rusty

Juvenile Dragon
You're most likely correct about my dragon getting used to the new tank. The setup you see with the hay netting is the "final" one I rigged up only 2 days ago. So the constantly-changing environment might be confusing for my little guy there.

But no observable/obvious issues with eating or pooping. Quite an appetite too! It's amazing how two dozen crickets even fit in its stomach.
LOL, i cant believe how small they are when young,
I rescued Rusty last yr he was already over 12 yrs old, i see the babies in pet store, and they are so cute ❤️, but if it wasn't for Rusty telling me what to do everyday, I'd be in trouble lol and he is my pest buddy now, not sure why i haven't had a dragon sooner

Latest posts