• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Axl and Roze's new Viv

g60leigh

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thought I'd share some pics of my work in progress for my two beardies ( I know people say that they should be housed alone but when we took them in they were together and are happy together.)

We are limited on space in the new house so making this to fit into a specific area.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344883413.797361.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344883428.386105.jpg

Once I have finished the outside I am planning on lining out the inside with a fake rock affect and sand substrate.
I will keep adding pics as I progress but please feel free to add any comments.

g60leigh

Bearded Dragon Egg
Got a question while I think on. Basking lamp will be going in the top left corner. Above the platform.

Where is best to put the temp probe from the thermostatic controller?
In the current viv it is in the base of the viv near the basking lamp.
Would it be best on the base of the platform?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Pat looks to be MDF - Medium Density Fibreboard.

Personally, I think tall enclosures are hard to heat & provide proper UVB. Older BDs are not big on climbing either, they are a Terrestrial creature, not Arboreal. They go go up but don't come down so well, generally wind up falling or jumping & there is a lot there, to impose serious injury on the way down. Pictures can be deceiving, but does not appear to be near big enough for one BD, let alone 2, which is never a good plan to start with. What sexes are they? I don't know how many times I have heard that they get along well, it only takes once ... even after being together for years they can turn on each other, I know this from my own experience, along with others.

g60leigh

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks for the advice Germ.

It is MDF. Also have their twigs to go in once it is done. They both love to climb and manage to get up and down no problem.

I have more of a problem getting the cool side down in their current viv, I have a new build house which is very warm.
I have a dual location digital thermometer so can be sure I get a good gradient.

g60leigh

Bearded Dragon Egg
Forgot to add that I am using reptiglo 10.0 uv tube and am debating on adding a 2.0 in there additionally.
Not 100% sure on sex as dont know how to check. I was told they were male and female.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
How old are they? No point in putting a 2.0 in there, it does no more than a normal fluorescent, unless the BD can get about an inch from the bulb. They are generally only used to supplement light & a normal fluorescent will do that. You realize that a UVB bulb only has very limited range & one of the reasons why tall enclosures are not used or recommended, they don't suit the reptiles habits.
What are the dimensions of that enclosure?​

g60leigh

Bearded Dragon Egg
I will check the sex when I get home.
They are about 18 months old.
I have the reptiglo 10 as it has a 20" range and the top areas are within that.
I may put in a Compact 10 to cover the lower area as well to be sure.
The viv is aprox 3.5' wide and 2' deep.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That 20" is from the center of a New bulb & dissipates quickly over time, as the bulb ages, and is why they must regularly be replaced. At 18 months they are still reasonably active, as they get older they won't be, say in a year or 2 or so. What are you going to use for traction on the ramps?

If they should turn out to be male & female, what do you intend to do about breeding issues & if they should turn out to be Male\Male? Just in case you have not seen this thread, here it is ...

Housing Beardies Together aka 'Is Bearded Dragon Co-habitation A Good Plan?'

Good Luck

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It would be no different than any other major habitat change & is in their best interest.

Robin Moniz said:
I can't tell you how many times I hear silly things like "My dragons are very bonded to each other and will die without each other" - Dragons don't think like that!
A dragons world is very simple - Heirarchy. There can only be ONE king or queen of the castle. Forcing other dragons into submission, living in constant intimidation, fear, getting the "crap" food left over... if allowed by the Dominant Dragon. They usually are thwarting off getting attacked, become injured and sometimes even die.
Many of these "forced submissive" dragons usually become depressed, lethargic, dehydrated, malnourish... and sadly many die.
Have you had the opportunity to sex them yet?

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
this kind of tank is better suited to a reptile like a frilled dragon then a bearded dragon. while they do climb when they are young and sometimes when they are older, bearded dragons tend to live at ground level as they can be very lazy lizards. also having them together regardless of gender can end very badly

g60leigh

Bearded Dragon Egg
Tried sexing them and best I can tell they both seem male.
I was told it was a male and female when I got them.

I have taken onboard what everyone has said and am splitting them up.
I haven't got the room for two set ups so am going to have to re home one of them.

I am on the look out for a thermostat and light fitting so I can finish my build and separate them until I find a new home for one. Then it can go with a full viv set up too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

g60leigh

Bearded Dragon Egg
Used polystyrene for basic shape then hard setting expanding foam.
Sanded it back and in process of covering it all in grout.
On 2nd layer now.

Latest posts