• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

a double check

AlicesArk

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Alrighty, since everyone I've talked to so far is so very knowledgeable and nice about my "problems" I thought I'd start a thread regarding the lighting that came with my beardies.

I'm brand new at this, and I don't trust the information that came with them, so please feel free to tell me if I'm right or wrong and/or suggestions to make it all better :)

Since they're now separated with their cardboard and tape, I have a raised basking area at each far end (should it be the other way around?) with I'm not sure what bulbs, but they are emitting heat. There are 30W ReptiGlo 10.0 uvb bulbs running along the entire top, and the boys can get close to it, and they were last replaced Feb. 1, 2010. I know by reading on here that I want a reptiSUN 10.0 bulb for them..well I need two, the enclosure is so long and well, they're not happy roommates anymore. There is also a smaller..hood? that holds two, uh, the package says 26W, 100 compact, reptiglo 10.0 uvb bulbs that I placed on top of the partition so they both get a light.

I also need more thermometors, I have only one (their previous owner wasn't using any) and it's a digital so I've followed my tape theme (lol) and taped it up be Tanyr's basking area, which is too cold. It's only raised up to 82.7*F, and I even put another one on there. I've pretty much got the temperatures figured out, although not actually in action, but it's an asap thing and I'll get it sorted out once I know about these bulbs I'm using, which is why I'm here.

If anyone would take the time to give me the whole lighting "concept" (what I need, where and why would be really cool) I would very much appreciate it, and although I have books and had been researching prior to adopting these boys, everything's different. Another online forum has taught me everything I need to know to deal with my buggered up rescue dogs, because it's the actual experience behind it, people live with dogs like mine every day. First hand information and advice on a specific situation is the best way to learn as far as I'm concerned ::)

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Coils are just as bad as the tubes when it comes to the glos.
Now for bringing temps up, you may wish to consider house hold flood lights...
You can use a bell type fixture, with a ceramic base ( this way high temps won't melt the screw in area) and use that to beam down warmer temps onto the new basking spot, as well as to brighten up that area.
If you let us know where you are generally located ( ie. USA, UK....Michigan, California) we can help you find an online source to find what it is you need.
Hope this helps out !
Janie

AlicesArk

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
zebraflavencs said:
Coils are just as bad as the tubes when it comes to the glos.
Now for bringing temps up, you may wish to consider house hold flood lights...
You can use a bell type fixture, with a ceramic base ( this way high temps won't melt the screw in area) and use that to beam down warmer temps onto the new basking spot, as well as to brighten up that area.
If you let us know where you are generally located ( ie. USA, UK....Michigan, California) we can help you find an online source to find what it is you need.
Hope this helps out !
Janie

Yeah from what I'd gathered just browsing around here, my lights are no good. But I have the right ideas?

We're located in just-warming-up Alberta, Canada.

Tanyr's basking spot hit 84*F by the time I left for work, which is waaaaaaay cold yet but better than it could have been. Being at work all day is kinda sucking right now.

AlicesArk

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Do I even need these coil lights?

And when I get some big long reptisun 10.0 lights, do I need any additional lighting besides heat?

Excuse my ignorance :p

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
No you don't need the coils..
No other than heat, you shouldn't need additional lighting. Now only reason you would want additional lighting is to make the enclosure bright white lit. This is to simulate a natural habitat as found in Australia.
Hope this helps out !
Janie

AlicesArk

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
zebraflavencs said:
No you don't need the coils..
No other than heat, you shouldn't need additional lighting. Now only reason you would want additional lighting is to make the enclosure bright white lit. This is to simulate a natural habitat as found in Australia.
Hope this helps out !
Janie

Haha you always help me out :)

Any suggestions on heat bulbs?

I'm probably going to go with these, unless I'm informed of something bad :p
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752644

But didn't someone say something about using normal household bulbs? Can someone explain that?

Sorry for the 1000 questions but you know how it is ::)

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just a normal house bulb, the same kind you use in your lights in your home. (bright white, not soft or subdued) Wattage will depend on ambient in your home, as well as how well the enclosure holds heat. Tanks generally don't hold heat well, so i'd actually start with a flood light. Not sure which store you have similar to Wal Mart there, but the home improvement store will also have these. They last longer and are not as expensive as reptile marketed bulbs.
I'd go with probably a 70-95 watt flood considering your heating open air.

AlicesArk

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
ladyknite said:
Just a normal house bulb, the same kind you use in your lights in your home. (bright white, not soft or subdued) Wattage will depend on ambient in your home, as well as how well the enclosure holds heat. Tanks generally don't hold heat well, so i'd actually start with a flood light. Not sure which store you have similar to Wal Mart there, but the home improvement store will also have these. They last longer and are not as expensive as reptile marketed bulbs.
I'd go with probably a 70-95 watt flood considering your heating open air.

We have WalMarts here in Canada ;)

You guys are just great, wish we had a thank you button :)

Anything else I should know about lighting while we're at it?

egg 80

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
if your still not hitting your temps you may find a higher wattage household spot bulb will raise them a bit better if this make sense halogen bulbs also send out alot of heat to specific spots they are pointed at hope this helps

paul

AlicesArk

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
egg 80 said:
if your still not hitting your temps you may find a higher wattage household spot bulb will raise them a bit better if this make sense halogen bulbs also send out alot of heat to specific spots they are pointed at hope this helps

paul

Every little bit helps, thank you :)

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
AlicesArk said:

One Reptisun 10.0 Linear tube each enclosure, they need to span at least 1/3 of the total enclosure length. You in your case 2X two foot tubes will do as if you go the whole 3 foot you may have trouble with scacing the mounts on the hood. Heating as Gina already stated at either end of the tank where you already have them. Apart from that it should be all good.

Anything else you want to know ask away?
Feeders
Vits
Substrate
Cleaning
Photo-period
Etc...etc...etc....

Cheers,

AlicesArk

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Red Ink AUS said:
AlicesArk said:

One Reptisun 10.0 Linear tube each enclosure, they need to span at least 1/3 of the total enclosure length. You in your case 2X two foot tubes will do as if you go the whole 3 foot you may have trouble with scacing the mounts on the hood. Heating as Gina already stated at either end of the tank where you already have them. Apart from that it should be all good.

Anything else you want to know ask away?
Feeders
Vits
Substrate
Cleaning
Photo-period
Etc...etc...etc....

Cheers,

The tank is a custom made one adn the hood extends the length of the tank, with space for two 36" bulbs.

Greisun's basking area is sitting at around 97*F, and he's been about halfway down his log (it's propped up from the front corner to the opposite back, adn extends the whole day) and he's been there for a few hours. Tanyr was at 91*F when I switched my one thermometer to Greisun's side. I know neither are warm enough, but my boyfriend said something about them possibly adapting to a lower temp seeing as they're low and would always have been? Should I increase the temps gradually, or should I just set them where they should be and let them regulate themselves?

I've got the nutrition, cleaning and supplementation down, but what is this photo-period you speak of? Another word for brumation or someething else completely? And I'm sure I'll have more questions, posted in the appropriate subforums of course :)

I have two 36" reptisun 10.0 bulbs being delivered to me tomorrow ;D

AlicesArk

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Oh yes, meant to add (since I can't figure out how to edit my posts??) that Tanyr's log is situated the same as Greisuns, front bottom corner to opposite back top corner, basking area at the top obviously and he's slowly moved a little bit away over the last little while, thus the "would they adapt to a lower temp" question.

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Offer them a baskingh spot of 105F and they will thermoregulate themselves from there but the hottest spot must be 105F at least in order to achieve a peak methabolic rate.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Photo period.. length of time the lights are on in a given "day".
12-14 hours is appropriate.
Hope that helps out !

I have a question, though.
Are you planning on using both tubes one in front of the other, or does that fixture allow for side to side ?
Janie

AlicesArk

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Red Ink AUS said:
Offer them a baskingh spot of 105F and they will thermoregulate themselves from there but the hottest spot must be 105F at least in order to achieve a peak methabolic rate.

Good good, that's what I figured I should do.

zebraflavencs said:
Photo period.. length of time the lights are on in a given "day".
12-14 hours is appropriate.
Hope that helps out !

I have a question, though.
Are you planning on using both tubes one in front of the other, or does that fixture allow for side to side ?
Janie

Oh yeah! haha they're getting 12-14 hour days right now so we're good there. I plan on getting a timer for those lazy mornings, lol.

The fixture allows me to lay them end to end, so it's basically one long continuous 6-foot light. They both get a 36" tube all to themselves.
like this ------- -------
not --------
--------

if you get my little drawing there :p

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That's what I was asking, yes. Looks good.. who did you get those suns from ?
Just curious..
Janie

AlicesArk

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
zebraflavencs said:
That's what I was asking, yes. Looks good.. who did you get those suns from ?
Just curious..
Janie

Right on :)

K, so awhile ago I joined our local reptile society forum and purchased some asf rats from a fellow with a bunch of water dragons and snakes, and I posted there yesterday asking if anyone knew where I could pick some lights up asap as I'm still fairly new to my city and I got a reply from the reptile society's vice president. Kinda worked out really well, as she's in my area today picking up her bug order and dropping off other supplies and things to other people. Ta-da! Lol.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sounds like you are making progress. I get the drawings!

You'll love the timer. You'll no longer be trapped by their lighting and the morning you sleep in, no worries. The night you head out, no worries again. Get something simple. Home Depot has some basic ones.

AlicesArk

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Renee said:
Sounds like you are making progress. I get the drawings!

You'll love the timer. You'll no longer be trapped by their lighting and the morning you sleep in, no worries. The night you head out, no worries again. Get something simple. Home Depot has some basic ones.

Definitely making progress! Got my reptisun lights, and changed their basking light to a 90W flood light which I think might be okay, Tanyr got to 100*F about an hour and a half after I put it in there, and Greisun didn't quite get there but he had a bigger, taller lamp which I switched to a shorter one like Tanyr's this morning. I bought 4 digital thermometers and so far they seem okay, they all read the same so I take that as a good sign, lol.

How long should it be taking for the spot to heat up? How hot is too hot?

Also got some nice dishes and things, and some repticarpet which wasn't quite big enough so I kinda have it pieced in there for now, and I'm going to look for some 18" wide stuff. I was mistaken, both boys' enclosures are 3' long by 2' tall by 18" across.

Latest posts