• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What morph do you think he is ?

mboley

Bearded Dragon Egg
Had him for 3 months now... Just wondering what kind he is

Mojo-062813.jpg
Mojo-062813.jpg

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
It's always hard to tell by a picture (especially just one angle), but if I had to guess based off of that picture, I would say Mojo is a normal. He's very handsome.

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi, that is one pretty dragon :)

Many breeders, especially some of the bigger names in the business are putting names on dragons that truly arent anything but a made up marketing scheme. I wouldnt get caught up in the tiger, rainbows, ice, snows, pastels, etc...;)

True genetic disorders:
Leather back
Silk back
Hypomelanistic
Translucent
Dunner
*Colors as you see it without the crazy names.

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Gilliesexotics will ALWAYS give you a much better response than I ever could, when it comes to morphs. That's a genuine breeder right there. I just have my best (undereducated) guess. Glad you got a better answer than mine. :)

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sean8172, your answer was great and right on the money. The dragon is a Normal X Hypo (as the op states the dragon has clear toe nails). From the pics you cant tell if it is trans or hypo. ;)

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
You have no idea how great that makes me feel, coming from someone with your knowledge! Really. On the other hand, I can totally see where mboley is coming from. It took a while to find out what Demani is, and I'm still not completely convinced that he's a hypo translucent leatherback...and that's only because his eyes aren't as black as they "should" be.

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Here's an "okay" pic of my little buddy. I think you can see his nails, it's obvious that he's a leatherback. His eyes are more black than our normal, but they aren't "alien" black. Doesn't really matter to me. I'm just glad they are both pretty dragons.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1372559875715.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1372559875715.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 89

alexonti

Hatchling Dragon
Nice beardie!
It does not matter what morph he is or which color he has. The matter is the place that they have in our heart

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sean8172: Your kid is definitely hypo X leatherback. There is two types of translucents 80% and 100%. 80% you will see very small amount of gold in the eye and it needs to be minimal. 100% are solid black, no gold.

Here is a pic of a 100% trans.
index.php

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Sean8172: Your kid is definitely hypo X leatherback. There is two types of translucents 80% and 100%. 80% you will see very small amount of gold in the eye and it needs to be minimal. 100% are solid black, no gold.

Here is a pic of a 100% trans.

Based on your description, he is 80% translucent, correct?
View attachment 5342

Sometimes his eyes look like this, too

View attachment 5343

With "darker" gold rings. Sorry for hijacking your thread, mboley. Also, sorry if these photos post weird, I'm using a beta version of Tapatalk.

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Sean, your dragon is not translucent. If a parent to your dragon is translucent, you boy is a probable carrier of the gene making him Het for the disorder. If you dont know the genetics/pictures of the parents. Only way to prove hets is to breed to a het ;)

Its hard to tell from the picture. Tarzan is the sire to the female above. In person you can see just a very tiny amount of gold, where in trinket it is jet black.

tarzan.jpg

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I've always been curious about his genetics, but it's not really that big of a deal to me really. I know he's hypo, because all of his nails are clear, and he's obviously a leatherback. So, "het" just basically means a dragon is carrying a recessive gene? I know nothing of his parents, as he was originally sold as a "fancy" by Petsmart. We rescued him from there, as nobody wanted him, and they couldn't seem to sell him. Bottom line is, I doubt I'll ever breed him, so it's more just my curiosity. An exotic pet store owner told us be was a hypo translucent leatherback. So, should I refer to him as a hypo het leatherback, or a hypo het translucent leatherback? I mean, I usually just call him Demani, or leatherback. Thanks again for your help.

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Without knowing his parents. I would label him Hypo X Leatherback. If your for certain one of his parents was visual for translucent. I would label him Hypo X Leatherback Het Translucent. Yes, if he is bred to a female het for trans. They will produce translucents :)

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
The only female I would ever breed him to is a normal. I may have an opportunity to breed him with a "German Giant" that isn't really one, but just a very large normal. Because her genetics are unknown also, it's my best guess that she's derived from some line of Germans. She's about 25" and 600+ grams, so she may be from some leftover German stock. Basically, I won't even consider breeding for a minimum of another year or so.

Latest posts