• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What do you make of it?

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
i believe that is a wives tale. I have never had a single breeder friend experience this nor hav i ever experienced this. What you could be seeing is her puffing up or flattening (makes them look really wide or very fat).

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I just wanted to back up what was being said, The dragon can change its look in size by puffing and deflateiing itself, the ovulation cycle most people wont ever even notice if they are not looking for it.

Lotty

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I noticed a tiny pink on her urate on Sat. I have been keeping an eye on her and poop to make sure all is ok. It does make sense as she did bloat out (just like I used to. hahahaha). I can now relax. Thanks

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
MsMichRalla said:
Renee, I have noticed a red/pink tint to her urate recently. I ran it by another forum and I didnt get any answers. Makes sense it could be ovulation, i've never heard of that in dragons either. What could that mean along with the above info? Idk if its the cause of her not eating though since she hasnt eaten on her own for 8 months. What do you think?

Oh and there was no hijacking Cryptic, thanks for asking for that info Renee, I never thought of there being side effects after stopping.

That's me, playing devil's advocate. I'm good at that. 8)
Got to be honest. The part about her not eating on her own for 8 months bothers me. This thread is getting deep, please remind me, did the vet just do a physical and not blood or fecal? And you are to take her back for those?

They do slow down their eating when they ovulate. Does she poop regularly?

MsMichRalla

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
She poops regularly, acts and looks fine, just doesnt eat. 8 mos ago she was treated for pinworms successfully, never ate after that. I took her to the vet, they did a fecal and probed around some. They want to see her back for bloodwork and x rays which I'll be able to do once my financial aid loans become available to me... :-\ In 1-2 months.

And Cryptic, Im sure I was just imagining the weight gain, ha the power of suggestion.

Is it possible shes just lost her prey drive?

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
what i think has happened here is that the dragon got sick and got over the sickness but was used to being handfed and began expecting hand feedings. Before you know it the dragon will not eat on its own. basically a learned action. What you are going to have to do if you use the reptaid is stop feeding the dragon by hand. Only give it the reptaid and offer it live feeders (start with a soft bodied worms in a bowl as they wont climb out). This is going to be tough on you cause you will feel like you are starving her but you arent. No living animal will allow itself to starve to death in the presence of food. Just offer live feeders and greens daily. It may take 2-4 days to start noticing a perk in interest but the dragon will eat on its own withing the first 5 days. Since it has been 8 months i would suggest running 2 cycles if you decide to use the reptaid.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
MsMichRalla said:
Is it possible shes just lost her prey drive?

its not so much a loss of her prey drive as it is a loss of the necessity to hunt as her mommy feeds her by hand. now she has to be "forced" to eat on her own again. As i said in the message above it will be a trying event for you but you have to try.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just confirming Brian's analysis. Since she is pooping and was sick recently, she has become accustomed to being babied. You did a great job getting her back to being healthy. Now, you'll need to cut the apron strings, so to speak.

MsMichRalla

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
k well i guess it wont hurt to try... Ive tried that a little bit, but i never let her get past four days with no food, so i always end up syringe feeding her.... :(

So worms huh. Any recommendation as to where to buy them from? I'd like to try silkies.

Latest posts