• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What do you make of it?

MsMichRalla

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Sydney is about a year and a half old. In October of 2008 we assumed she was going into burmation. She started slowing down and not eating as much. Then it went to eating nothing. So we had a fecal done, she had pinworms and was treated accordingly. She never ate again after that. She has had a vet visit since then, her fecal was clean. She has had jumpstart and now I feed her a mix of carnivore care and greens every couple of days. She acts completley normal. Active, alert and bright eyed. I've tried roaches and cricks, she wont touch either one of them. SInce i'm new i'll give you a quick rundown of her husbandry. She is in a crossfire enclosure 3x2x2 with a megaray and a flourecent tube. They are on a 14/10 schedule and her basking spot is between 112-120 daily. She gets a bath almost everyday for 15 mins. When she was eating Her prey was dusted with repcal and herptivite calcium and multi-vitamin. Recently I've noticed she has grey spots on her stomach, not like stress marks or shedding skin. But like round blotches. There are three of them, almost like bruises. I can get a pic posted if needed, but Could this be related to her other problems? I dont have any money to take her to the vet again right now So i was wondering what you guys might make of it. Sorry for the long post by the way.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I will need to see pics to be able to tell what the blotches are but as far as the eating problems i have the suggestion of two different products to be used in conjunction with each other. you may want to consider using a product called reptaid. i use it on my dragons and really endorse this product.

here is a link to the site: http://www.chameleonsnorthwest.com/reptaid4.htm. it is a herbal appetite/immune system stimulant. Run this for 2 weeks then use acidopholiz found here http://www.chameleonsnorthwest.com/reptaid4.htm
This should clear things up for you in no time. Honestly you should see a improvement in his health within a few days.

beardielover

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
hmmm...i'm not sure you need both a megaray and a florescent. why do you have both? and which brand of florescent is it?

MsMichRalla

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
The flourecent light is just for extra light, its a tube along the top of the viv. I'll take some pics tonight and post em tomarrow. I'm just so confused, she acts fine, just wont eat. thanks for the replies. and thanks cryptic for the advise, i'll try to get some soon :)

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Also, 120F is a bit high for a basking spot. it shouldn't go above 105 for a beardie older than 1 year. What are you using for your temps?

You may want to try phoenix worms. They are naturally high in calcium. Silk worms are another protein to try. It is said they are a staple for beardies in the wild.

MsMichRalla

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Renee said:
Also, 120F is a bit high for a basking spot. it shouldn't go above 105 for a beardie older than 1 year. What are you using for your temps?

You may want to try phoenix worms. They are naturally high in calcium. Silk worms are another protein to try. It is said they are a staple for beardies in the wild.

I disagree. Thanks for your opinion but shes alot more active when her temps are above 110, anything below that and she seems pretty slow... I use a digital thermometer with a probe for measuring temps.

Yes ive thought about trying different staples but right now i dont have the money to order them and honestly I dont think she would go for those either.

And everyone else as far as pictures goes i cant get them from my phone to my computer... dont know why... and the motor in the camera is out at the moment. The marks seem to be fading. I will wait until she sheds her stomach... should happen in the next couple of days and update you guys then.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The discoloring could be her shedding. one of my females stomachs turns a brownish/blue when ever she starts shedding. Looks like a bruise.

have you looked into getting the reptaid?

How is she doing today. And yeah beardies are different. My male likes 115 degree basking spot. The rest prefer lower.

MsMichRalla

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hey, thanks for asking cryptic. I've looked at the reptaid and i'll have money to buy some next wednsday. Im real poor right now lol. Just starting full time college and no job. Yeeees i'm pretty nervous now these spots have shown up. I've been ok with her not eating. I know its a problem but shes getting her vitamins and calcium and pooping every day and maintaining a good 330-340 grams. Im trying to save money for the next vet visit which will be a few hundred. theyu want to draw blood and take x-rays. ugh talk about expensive. But Shes doing ok, no change, still hasnt shed, still active and alert. The blotches are still there but shes not showing any discomfort. Ive tried probing around her tummy to see how she acts. Shes a bright orange/yellow and her shed has never been a dark color. Just a real pale tanish yellow color. These are grey spots... but its always a possibility i guess. The pics are still on my phone. My sis has the same service provider and she cant send picture mail right now either... dont know whats up, ill call alltel today and see... I really want to show you guys the spots.

MsMichRalla

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Well, no more grey spots. They went away with her shed. whew, dont have to worry about that anymore. :)

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I thought it sounded like shed spots. Some spots will end up darker than others depending on thickness and level of seperation. I would give the reptaid a try before you drop the money for a blood test. It raises the appetite of almost any reptile its given to within the 10 day dosage time frame.

Did she gain a lot of weight recently or start looking "rounder"
at that age there is a possibility of having a infertile clutch as well. Before laying they will go off food. Have you noticed any digging at all? If not give the reptaid a try and if that doesnt help any then go with the vets blood test.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Another thought is ovulation. If it is that time for her, they decrease in appetite too.

I'm glad the spots went away with her shed.

Brian, I'm not familiar with Reptiaid. If money is an issue and MsMichRalla starts it and can't replenish her supply, what would be the consenquences for her dragon?

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
each bottle contains 200-400 doses depending on weight of dragon. You can run it only once or multiple times there are no consequences of discontinuing use. You can run 1 cycle of 10 days or run two cycles with a 1 week break period. You can run it just for the 1/2 cycles or more often. i use it for preventative maintanence every 4 months. Post cycle therapy is not needed or required but in serious cases of parasites using acidopholis can be beneficial to help boost their natural gut fauna. The main perk of reptaid is that instead of attacking all parasites it boosts the immune system allowing it to strengthen its natural attack on the bad parasites. its a completely non-invasive health product.

Didnt mean for that to sound like a sale ad if it did. I use it and love it. All of my babies will be run on a 10 day regimine before leaving me (thats why they wont be leaving till they are 10-12 weeks instead of the normal 6-8)

Anyway. Renee if you have more questions on it or are interested in some shoot me a pm i hate hijacking her thread lol. I can give you more info.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Also
You know about something i know nothing of. Ovulation periods within dragons. i have never heard of such a thing. Do you have some reading material on this? Id love to get some info on it from you.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks, Brian. That was very informative. I don't think it is highjacking. I appreciate the info. It was a product recommended and thought about her stopping its use and any concequences it may cause.

No, I don't have any literature. When Bernie was about a year and a half, HE started not acting like his normal self. We took HIM to a herp vet. Well, after bloodwork and fecal exam, we found at that Bernard was actually Bernadette and she was having her monthly. It explained the pink tinge in the white part of her poop. Sorry, didn't mean to get too explicit there.

Our doc explained that they do become less active and slow down in eating.

MsMichRalla

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Cryptic, About once a month I notice a slight weight gain, She looks a bit rounder. Sydney just came to live with me a few months ago. Before that she was living with my ex. I dont think he would notice something like that. She does dig sometimes, mostly at night right after her lights go out. The thought has crossed my mind about infertile eggs. A month ago I took her to the vet for a fecal, and a diagnosis for the not eating thing, the vet felt around and said she didnt have any eggs in there, gave me an antibiotic that doubles as a appetite stimulant, but she never ate. Wanted to see her back for bloodwork and x rays but i havent had the money. Also, her fecal came back clean. I really want to buy the reptaid and I have a little cash, can i get it cheaper anywhere? If not ill just have to buy it for 35 bucks i guess.

Renee, I have noticed a red/pink tint to her urate recently. I ran it by another forum and I didnt get any answers. Makes sense it could be ovulation, i've never heard of that in dragons either. What could that mean along with the above info? Idk if its the cause of her not eating though since she hasnt eaten on her own for 8 months. What do you think?

Oh and there was no hijacking Cryptic, thanks for asking for that info Renee, I never thought of there being side effects after stopping.

So, what do you guys think about putting her in a lay box. I can just use sand right? I have that. How long should i leave her in ther for? Should she have a heatlight? How deep should the substrate be?

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If the vet checked her for eggs and said no then it is probably not infertile eggs. also it wouldnt be a once a month weight gain it would be a lot of weight she kept on her. the digging right after the lights go out is her trying to burrow in for the night (instinctual action)
Unfortunately right now chameleons north west and lllreptile are the only places you can purchase reptaid. i am sorry. but that one bottle will last you for a year after opening if kept refrigerated. and there are enough doses that with one dragon you will end up having to toss it after that year. I am sorry on the price.

MsMichRalla

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Its ok, not your fault about the price. Maybe I am imagining the weight gain... lol I dont have a scale, sometimes she does look bigger though. Do you know anything about absorbing the eggs or whatever. I heard that could happen?

Latest posts