• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

weird question about my 2 roach colonies

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So for those of you that keep multiple species of roach breeding colonies i have a question. Today i was cleaning up my dubia tank a bit and ran across about 30 very young turks. It confuses the hell out of me lol. I dont know how they could have gotten from their screen covered tank across to the dubia tank and under their screen cover. Wierdest thing i have seen. Anyone have any ideas? The tank are right beside each other but they are both securely closed and covered. Im confused. lol it actually skeeved me out a bit as i had the dubia mindset (slower and not as crawly) and had three turks run up my arm kinda freaked me a out for a few seconds lol.

TheVirus

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I hate roaches. They really gross me out. Maybe the two species will breed and you'll get some turk/dubia hybrids.

I keep/kept dubias and discoids. One time my two colonies got real low so I combined the two species. I still don't know if they can viable young together.

I have way too many lizards and the roaches can't keep up with my lizards appetites. Unfortunately I'm destined to be a cricket, supers, pinky guy.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
i keep supers too. dont breed em though the beetles creep me out (funny considering im ok with the roaches)
it just really shocked the piss out of me to find turks in my dubia lol

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Lemme tell ya how they got there.

Turkistans are fiendish. They're escapers and darlin..........you're in SC. Want any more info? Stick with the dubias

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
NC :mad: thank you lol
and i havent had any escapees that i have found around my house. lol it doesnt make since that they would sneek out of their tank to get into the dubia tank. just seems odd

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
NC...........I knew that. Still,,,almost as bad.
the turks will eat the carcasses of the dubias. nasty little buggers. They're roaches hon..........they're not gonna dance the marachi for you and cook you dinner. they're gonna hide.

I keep my dubias, discoids and hissers just fine. But the turks had to go!!!! Looks too much like a german cockroach to me.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
yeah they deffinately look very "roachy" but i like em cause they cant climb and are very prolific breeders. lol ill have to add some precautions to keep them enclosed.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
yeah i have seen the males do their lil jump glide deal. havent seen one actually take flight but they can glide pretty far. i know the babys can climb plastic, thats why i use 10 gallon glass aquariums, unless they can climb glass to then im just gonna :'(

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
your 10 gallons have silicone sealant in the seams. it's climbable

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I volunteer to accept any non dubia colonies that cause feeders issues ... ;)
Honestly ? I don't have that problem... Yes once in a great while I'll find a lob that got out ( john doesn't realize how to restack the egg crates right quite yet), but that is pretty much it.
But then I use sterlite containers.
Janie

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
yeah they have deffinately been getting out. gonna buy some vaseline to coat the sides in to keep them from climbing out.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
This is off topic... but vaseline is good for so many things, I tend to keep a jar around the house all the year round.
Janie

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
i am right that a thin layer at the top end of my tank should keep them from climbing out right?
gotta buy some roach traps too cause i think a bunch got out grrrrrrrrrrr

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yup... Thin layer on the top 3". Redo as needed.
Vaseline is also good for cold feet ;).
Janie

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
one more dumb question
should i buy some roach traps? or will they just die off. Im not sure what their lifespan is in a non-controled environment.
shoulda known better than moving to turks. always had great luck with dubia and have only ever had 1 escapee. though turks would be the same way as a non-climber. what bs

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
3 days is the max I've seen any of mine live in my house.. but then they have to contend with roach eating cats and dogs ;)
Janie

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
yeah my cats are what alerted me to the escapees lol.
ill get some of the roach motels as well. but hopefully they wont live long lol.

Latest posts