• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tired after injections?

Naomifaye94

Bearded Dragon Egg
My poor bearded dragon recently got an antibiotic injection as well as a vitamin injection about 2 hours ago for a respiratory and mouth infection. I'm guessing it was in the tail since it's kind of darker and ever since than she's just kind of laid in the same spot (under the basking light) with her eyes closed? Is this normal? Could this just be from all of the "craziness" that happened today? I just want to make sure it's normal or if I should call the vet

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My poor bearded dragon recently got an antibiotic injection as well as a vitamin injection about 2 hours ago for a respiratory and mouth infection. I'm guessing it was in the tail since it's kind of darker and ever since than she's just kind of laid in the same spot (under the basking light) with her eyes closed? Is this normal? Could this just be from all of the "craziness" that happened today? I just want to make sure it's normal or if I should call the vet
I would say so- keep an eye on her behavior-- is she on meds for the mouth infection? Make sure you keep her hydrated if she's on meds - you can offer water on her nose or by bathing if she drinks in the bath or by syringe if giving by syringe make sure you go slowly you don't want her aspirating-- her appetite may be off as well w/ the meds- did the vet say anything about the side effects etc?

Naomifaye94

Bearded Dragon Egg
I would say so- keep an eye on her behavior-- is she on meds for the mouth infection? Make sure you keep her hydrated if she's on meds - you can offer water on her nose or by bathing if she drinks in the bath or by syringe if giving by syringe make sure you go slowly you don't want her aspirating-- her appetite may be off as well w/ the meds- did the vet say anything about the side effects etc?
They have me some kind of liquid for her I can't think of the name they also gave her fluids at the vet and have her eating through a syringe right now I haven't figured out how to do that yet and maybe that's why she didn't eat when I tried earlier. They didn't mention any side effects I'm guessing since it was snowing(I'm in Pittsburgh) and they are curbside only but they said if I have questions to call them I just wanted to know if anyone's had this happen before before I call them

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
They have me some kind of liquid for her I can't think of the name they also gave her fluids at the vet and have her eating through a syringe right now I haven't figured out how to do that yet and maybe that's why she didn't eat when I tried earlier. They didn't mention any side effects I'm guessing since it was snowing(I'm in Pittsburgh) and they are curbside only but they said if I have questions to call them I just wanted to know if anyone's had this happen before before I call them
In order to feed her go in on the side of her mouth -- it will probably take two of you --- have one person hold her or put her on the kitchen table w/ their thumb on the bottom side (lip) of her mouth gently pull or push the bottom lip down take your syringe and go in on that side - you may haft to pry a little bit but once you get her to open her mouth you should be able to get the syringe in and slowly feed - not too fast so she does not aspirate -- what are they having you feed her ?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oxbow critical care I think it's called it's like a powder you mix with water
Yes that is some really good stuff -- water it down so its like soup or runny --- if you haft to cut the tip of the syringe off so its wider and doesnt plug -- you will need to ratio it out but I always add extra water so its runny so your not getting it plugged -- and its going to keep them hydrated as well --

Naomifaye94

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes that is some really good stuff -- water it down so its like soup or runny --- if you haft to cut the tip of the syringe off so its wider and doesnt plug -- you will need to ratio it out but I always add extra water so its runny so your not getting it plugged -- and its going to keep them hydrated as well --
Thats a good idea I didn't even think of that Thanks!

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I had to syringe feed my beardie a punch of times when she was sick and thankfully she took it well. What i did was burrito her in a blanket and put her on my lap. I would than bring the syringe up to near the back of her mouth and lightly pull on her beard to part her lips enough to fit most to all of the syringe between her lips and teeth. Then I’d slowly make my way to the front of her mouth and this is when she’s open her mouth for me and if slowly put food in her mouth. My beardie also had some antibiotics shoots and from what I recall she did seem a little drowsy afterwards. Again your beardie also has a URI and mouth infection so it could be from the toll of those and because she’s probably hasnt been eating too much. Definitely keep an eye on her for a few days and make sure she’s kept hydrated and feed as best you can with the syringe. If it gets worse or her beard gets really bad I’d call the vet right away

Naomifaye94

Bearded Dragon Egg
I had to syringe feed my beardie a punch of times when she was sick and thankfully she took it well. What i did was burrito her in a blanket and put her on my lap. I would than bring the syringe up to near the back of her mouth and lightly pull on her beard to part her lips enough to fit most to all of the syringe between her lips and teeth. Then I’d slowly make my way to the front of her mouth and this is when she’s open her mouth for me and if slowly put food in her mouth. My beardie also had some antibiotics shoots and from what I recall she did seem a little drowsy afterwards. Again your beardie also has a URI and mouth infection so it could be from the toll of those and because she’s probably hasnt been eating too much. Definitely keep an eye on her for a few days and make sure she’s kept hydrated and feed as best you can with the syringe. If it gets worse or her beard gets really bad I’d call the vet right away
Thanks for the advice on how to syringe feed her because I had no idea on how to do it and she just wasn't even trying earlier but it could be because it was too soon after I tried about 2.5 hours after because I was trying to get her to eat before I had to go to work maybe if I try it that way I may be able to get her to eat than. Thanks for also telling me that this is more than likely normal behavior because I haven't seen her since I left and I've been worried about her all day because of how she was after

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thanks for the advice on how to syringe feed her because I had no idea on how to do it and she just wasn't even trying earlier but it could be because it was too soon after I tried about 2.5 hours after because I was trying to get her to eat before I had to go to work maybe if I try it that way I may be able to get her to eat than. Thanks for also telling me that this is more than likely normal behavior because I haven't seen her since I left and I've been worried about her all day because of how she was after
You’re welcome and it’s kinda like when we get a shot and were sore for a day . If you’re still having problems syringe feeding her let me know and I’ll send you a video of me doing it to mine. I still give you critical care from time to time so it’s not a trouble at all and I have everything I need for it anyways, she’s 11 so it gives her a little boost in nutrition.

Naomifaye94

Bearded Dragon Egg
You’re welcome and it’s kinda like when we get a shot and were sore for a day . If you’re still having problems syringe feeding her let me know and I’ll send you a video of me doing it to mine. I still give you critical care from time to time so it’s not a trouble at all and I have everything I need for it anyways, she’s 11 so it gives her a little boost in nutrition.
I can't get her to let me even try to open her mouth she will either turn her head or run away plus it's hard because she is still so small she's only 6 months and I don't want to hurt her. Is there anyway to keep her calm during that

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I can't get her to let me even try to open her mouth she will either turn her head or run away plus it's hard because she is still so small she's only 6 months and I don't want to hurt her. Is there anyway to keep her calm during that
Get some help w/ her --- have some one hold her while you administer the food --- like Emilia said wrap her up in a dish towel like a burrito and gently pry her mouth open --

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi call another vet make sure they specialize in vets. Mine had a respiratory infection and had a 3Shot series and was healed/done. Make sure your humidity is 30-40 only and never ever higher u need a thrive digital hygometer & the temp in cage should be 95-100 for an adult for the hot side. As they get older it should not be at 105 or higher they don’t like it or don’t bask. And at night the temp in his cage should never drop below 70 if it does u need to buy a ceramic heat emitter 60watt and place on the side he sleeps on a few inches to the left or right of his body. Don’t leave any water bowls in the cage at nite or food ever. Also when u give him a bath twice a week make sure it’s like warm water and no water gets in his ears all of the above are causes for respiratory infection. GLuck & call another vet and ask them the opinion of antibiotic and his lethargy. Make sure u are suing clear bulbs the zoomed clear basking for heat and a reptisun 10.0 T5 for UVB the length of this uvb bulb should cover 70 percent of the cage without this proper uvb he will be lethargic and get MBD which is bone disease ans will em eventually die

Naomifaye94

Bearded Dragon Egg
I got her to maybe eat .3 of the food by syringe they said a minimum of .8 do you think it's cause she didn't eat for a couple days because of the infections?

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I got her to maybe eat .3 of the food by syringe they said a minimum of .8 do you think it's cause she didn't eat for a couple days because of the infections?
Could be. Again she is under a lot of stress and pain so eating may not be her top priority but it is important to get her to eat. That’s a good amount for the first time. There’s nothing wrong with doing a little at a time too. So give her a bit wit 5 minutes or so and try again. Sometimes it helps if you go quickly so once her mouth is open put a good amount of food in her mouth just make sure you’re not trying to stick the syringe down her throat or she could chock. Hers a pic of Cleo. Sometimes it helps to hold head in place, use a little bit of force but of course you don’t want to be hurting her. And do this with the burritoing

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Forgot to send the photo. But basically one finger on top of her head and one right under her lower jaw

Attachments

• 49D9BD2E-EDE9-4A41-A538-3C489AFFF3E6.jpeg
    49D9BD2E-EDE9-4A41-A538-3C489AFFF3E6.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 36

Naomifaye94

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'll try again today hopefully she isn't as resistant because like you said I don't want to hurt her and she really doesn't like to stay still with this

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I'll try again today hopefully she isn't as resistant because like you said I don't want to hurt her and she really doesn't like to stay still with this
Totally understandable, but don’t be scared to fight against your beardie a little bit, no beardie likes syringes in the beginning or ever, it even took my Cleo sometimes getting used to it. But try and stop his movement a little bit and sometimes they’ll end up submitting and taking it easily. If he’s still fighting and you can’t at all get him to stop. Than take a break and try again in a bit. At the end of the day you are doing what’s best for him regardless if he doesn’t realize that.

Naomifaye94

Bearded Dragon Egg
Totally understandable, but don’t be scared to fight against your beardie a little bit, no beardie likes syringes in the beginning or ever, it even took my Cleo sometimes getting used to it. But try and stop his movement a little bit and sometimes they’ll end up submitting and taking it easily. If he’s still fighting and you can’t at all get him to stop. Than take a break and try again in a bit. At the end of the day you are doing what’s best for him regardless if he doesn’t realize that.
Yeah that's what I keep trying to tell myself. I'm nervous about his URI because she seems like she might still have it. I don't know how long it takes for them to completely recover though she definitely seems better though

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Yeah that's what I keep trying to tell myself. I'm nervous about his URI because she seems like she might still have it. I don't know how long it takes for them to completely recover though she definitely seems better though
Hey just checking in to see how he's doing?

Latest posts