• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Surprise!!!!

LunaLupus

Hatchling Dragon
So my daughter's new pet, Big Ang, decided to surprise us last night with 17 eggs!!! Yes, I called the breeder and chewed him out. Thankfully we were prepared to start breeding our snakes in a couple years so I'm not totally clueless. lol He told me these would be a good starter set to prepare us for breeding our Borneos. *sigh*

Well, we have 16 good looking eggs, and one that is a little wrinkled but we'll see what happens with it.

GEDC0942.jpg

This is their set up for right now. I will have to pick up vermiculite tonight, but nowhere was open when she laid. I'll keep you guy up dated on our surprise clutch. And will probably be coming here for help as needed.

This has been an interesting five days for my household. From zero beardies to two adults and 17 eggs. lol

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Congrats!

Have you Candled them to be sure that they are Fertile? Females will often lay without ever being with a male & the eggs will be infertile. Might be worth checking before you go to a lot of trouble.

Fertile or Infertile

Kind of explains why she was so Big ;).

LunaLupus

Hatchling Dragon
Congrats!

Have you Candled them to be sure that they are Fertile? Females will often lay without ever being with a male & the eggs will be infertile. Might be worth checking before you go to a lot of trouble.

Fertile or Infertile

Kind of explains why she was so Big ;).

I could see the veins on over half of them as I took them out of her enclosure. She was with a make, but he didn't think she took. He was wrong. lol

Honestly I'm just hoping at least one hatches.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Finger's crossed! Maybe they're fertile! I love seeing pictures of babies hatching on here! Best of luck! :)

LunaLupus

Hatchling Dragon
All but one has definite veins. The one was wrinkly last night, but has plumped up over the course of the day so I'm waiting to see what it does.

As for an incubator, my snake room is 60-70% for humidity, and ~80* all day. I have the eggs in one container with vermiculite, ventilation holes, and it has its own thermostat and heat mat. No one goes in there except for myself or my husband, so it is quiet, with minimal vibrations.

I will do the very best I can, and we'll see what happens. :D Worse case, nothing but two months of waiting. Best case (maybe lol) I have 17 little beardies to feed and find homes for. On that note, time to start researching how to breed crickets. *sigh*

Thanks for the well wishes everyone!

LunaLupus

Hatchling Dragon
I saw that one Germ, and read it a couple times. lol After seeing the eggs the first thing I did was call the breeder, Chris over at BadApple, and got his advice. He incubates at 80-83* with a ~60 day hatch time. I figure if it has worked for him for years it might work for me. I did tell him I'm never going to trust him again when it comes to buying a girl lizard/snake from him. rofl The *moderated* has forced me into breeding. Oh well, it's a good trial run for me before my project is big enough to breed. :)

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
@ LunaLupus..Only problem I see is that incubating the eggs in the Snake Room is liable to make snakes confused as to why dinner is taking 2 months to cook:eek: lol..that was bad I know but I couldn't resist..lol Best of luck with the clutch!!:D

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You could just freeze the eggs, rather than being forced into breeding ...

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Congrats on the new mummy! Err... Mommy! Keep in mind that BD's are known to have more than one clutch off of one mating.

LunaLupus

Hatchling Dragon
@Mungi lol!!!! Thankfully none of them are lizard eaters or we might have a problem. ;)

@Germ I could, but I just don't think I could bring myself to do that. Even if none of them hatch I will know that I did my best, and it is turning out to be an excellent science lesson for my daughter. :D

@Aleena Thanks! That's just what I wanted to hear!!! lol I'm really hoping she doesn't, but if she does, she does. As long as she doesn't decide to retain some sperm and surprise me again in five months. :D

LunaLupus

Hatchling Dragon
are you serious? why would u freeze eggs? i am curious....and dont know if u r kidding or not....:confused:

I believe you would freeze them if you weren't planning to incubate them. That way you would know that the embryo inside would be dead.

LunaLupus

Hatchling Dragon
Okay, so the first clutch is down to 12 eggs, and Miss Ang laid another batch a few days ago. This clutch doesn't seem to be as strong as the first, but they are incubating as well. Hopefully some babies hatch. I'll post pics as things happen. :)

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Keeping my fingers crossed for your babies. :) Looking forward to some pics when they hatch. :)

Silkmoth

Hatchling Dragon
Have the eggs hatched yet? I am dying to know! Eggs are exciting! I got a big surprise when an ooth hatched I was sure would not be fertile. An ooth is a praying mantis egg case. I love the mother very much and plan on keeping some of the babies. Now I hope to find an ooth one escapes girl laid somewhere in the room! Hmmmm.

LunaLupus

Hatchling Dragon
No eggs have hatched yet. However, we candled the eggs last week, and got to see tails and movement! I'm waiting, it could be anywhere from this weekend to a month from now. Don't worry, I will be posting pics as soon as I see something happening. :D

We also have a mantid egg case in the house. We got a gravid female in a delivery at work, where she proceeded to lay on some of out fake grass. So I brought it home after releasing the momma. :)

Latest posts