• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

So close, yet so far away

Mayoko

Hatchling Dragon
Next year, I want to breed my beardie with one of the new leatherbacks that just hatched a couple weeks ago. I want to learn about all that I can do to prepare her for it. What can I do?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Do you really think inbreeding is a good plan??? Better think about that one again. ;) On top of the fact that they would still be rather young for breeding in a years time.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
If you want to do that we would have to purchase a new bd, hopefully a hypo leatherback to go with Mayoko's hypo, and that would make some very pretty babies. Though you're buying ALL of the food!

SouthernDissolution

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Make sure you have a few things figured out before you breed...

Can I move 10+ babies?
Can I feed 10+ babies?
Distribution?
Do I have the time to tend to their daily needs?
Can I properly find buyers and how will I go about shipping.

The ONLY reason I am breeding is because I had the opportunity to umbrella under a breeder with years of experience.

I would not suggest doing it on your own to start with.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Make sure you have a few things figured out before you breed...

Can I move 10+ babies?
Can I feed 10+ babies?
Distribution?
Do I have the time to tend to their daily needs?
Can I properly find buyers and how will I go about shipping.

The ONLY reason I am breeding is because I had the opportunity to umbrella under a breeder with years of experience.

I would not suggest doing it on your own to start with.
Southern, dear, we have babies right now... Mayoko is actually a product of one of my dragons. And you're right, she doesn't have the time to properly take care of them, and I would have to front everything for her :(. Would be more of a pain in my neck then hers. We didn't want to breed in the first place. Found out one of my dragons was male the hard way...

NLC

Hatchling Dragon
Southern, dear, we have babies right now... Mayoko is actually a product of one of my dragons. And you're right, she doesn't have the time to properly take care of them, and I would have to front everything for her :(. Would be more of a pain in my neck then hers. We didn't want to breed in the first place. Found out one of my dragons was male the hard way...
I found out that way too. Luckily I stopped him before he did his deed!

Sent from my LG-VM701 using Tapatalk 2

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I found out that way too. Luckily I stopped him before he did his deed!
If it weren't for it going against my grain I guess I could have frozen the eggs and taken care of it that way, but dang it! They deserve their chance at life too.

Mayoko

Hatchling Dragon
Do you really think inbreeding is a good plan??? Better think about that one again. ;) On top of the fact that they would still be rather young for breeding in a years time.
They would be about a year old. Isn't that about the time to start breeding?

Mayoko

Hatchling Dragon
If you want to do that we would have to purchase a new bd, hopefully a hypo leatherback to go with Mayoko's hypo, and that would make some very pretty babies. Though you're buying ALL of the food!
Well, I was planning on breeding Mayoko with one of the new leatherback babies. ()f course I will buy ALL the food.:)

Mayoko

Hatchling Dragon
Well, I was planning on breeding Mayoko with one of the new leatherback babies. ()f course I will buy ALL the food.:)
lol:D yeah, we did find that out the hard way.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D to the other staement....Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. :)

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Goodness! How many tanks do you think we can afford to keep running? LOL! Talk to me next time... you do live with me :p. It's too hard to sex a BD that tiny, and we'll sell the babies before they get big enough to sex. Not really any way to be certain which ones are boys and which ones are girls.... besides.... they'd be half brother and half sister, sharing the same dad. Can lead to bad things no matter what the pet store guy said to us.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
They would be about a year old. Isn't that about the time to start breeding?
Females should be 18 months to 2 years old before breeding. Are you missing the fact that you would be breeding half brother & sister. Not the best of plans, which is why your Mom said
And I mentioned
Do you really think inbreeding is a good plan??? Better think about that one again.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Females should be 18 months to 2 years old before breeding. Are you missing the fact that you would be breeding half brother & sister. Not the best of plans, which is why your Mom said
I think she's still got it in her head what the pet store guy kept telling us where we bought Cass and Cleo from. He was telling us it was fine to inbreed dragons, it's not the same as inbreeding other things and they do fine with it. (we asked a lot of questions, though we had no intention of breeding at that point... or ever... they were obviously really interested in breeding)

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
They sold me calci-sand and told me I needed a 75 gallon tank for Allie. I don't have room for a huge tank like that. Oh, by the way, I don't use calci-sand at all. I was thinking of using it for something else. :) Not for Allie. Wonder if Will could use the calci-sand as a sandbath.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
They sold me calci-sand and told me I needed a 75 gallon tank for Allie. I don't have room for a huge tank like that. Oh, by the way, I don't use calci-sand at all. I was thinking of using it for something else. :) Not for Allie. Wonder if Will could use the calci-sand as a sandbath.
Stupid pet stores.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I agree! They've got these little babies on sand and still kept them on it even after I told them to take them off.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I saw an article about walnut shell bedding getting into a bearded dragon fed on mealworms and having walnut shells in his digestive tract. The walnut shells and bedding killed the dragon. The vet he was at did an autopsy to see how impacted he was. Then he posted the dangers of both mealworms and walnut shells in pictures. It was horrible and that's why I don't use any type of bedding except paper towels. I'm thinking of switching to tile because the paper towels are getting expensive.

They can't tell us where it hurts, but by body language, they can show us what's wrong. Allie hid most of the day yesterday and I knew something had have been bothering her. She hadn't went to the bathroom. She ran around a little while, sat on a heating pad on low to medium wrapped in a blanket. Then she went to the bathroom. So they show us what's wrong. :)

Latest posts