• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Rescued a beardie and need help

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Yes they hurt! When he opens his mouth when you go to pick him up stick a collard green in his mouth. Keep doing that over and over again until he doesn't open his mouth when you go to pick him up.

Bobbi in Cincinnati - with my 13 hermit crabs, 1 bearded dragon - Sir Wallace and 5 rescue cats!!

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Just keep trying to pick him up and every time he opens his mouth stick a green in it. He will get the picture and stop. He will get tired of the greens. Lol

Mason

Bearded Dragon Egg
Just keep trying to pick him up and every time he opens his mouth stick a green in it. He will get the picture and stop. He will get tired of the greens. Lol
He won't open his mouth he just backs into the corner and flare his beard like he's scared of me I put a glove on so maybe I could get closer maybe but that didn't help

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Yeah I wouldn't use the glove. It does hurt but it's not the end of the world. If he's acting like that I wouldn't pick him right away. Try moving a little slower and gradually show him your no threat to him. Put your hand in his enclosure and leave it in there until he's not flaring up anymore. Than you can start rubbing his head and talking to him. I would also try hand feeding him so that he will start to associate your hands with food. He will eventually see that hands are good :) give it some time and patience he will come around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
He won't open his mouth he just backs into the corner and flare his beard like he's scared of me I put a glove on so maybe I could get closer maybe but that didn't help

Aww he probably is scared. You are new to him and the smells are all new. Poor guy. Just be patient and and keep trying. If he's not opening his mouth that's a good sign!

It's he pancaking? Flattening his body to the ground or just standing there?

If you put your palm up to his beard see if he will walk up on to your hand. This may take DAYS to accomplish. Don't worry you will get this.

Mason

Bearded Dragon Egg
him after I try to pick him up he's clawing the tank to get away
image.jpeg

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Yeah he's just scared. He sees you as a threat, just be patient and slowly show him you are not there to harm him

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I wouldn't rub his head. Don't go to the top of his head yet. His third eye will see you as a predator and will make him scared and he could bite.

He's just scared and not sure of his new home yet.

Bobbi in Cincinnati - with my 13 hermit crabs, 1 bearded dragon - Sir Wallace and 5 rescue cats!!

Mason

Bearded Dragon Egg
I wouldn't rub his head. Don't go to the top of his head yet. His third eye will see you as a predator and will make him scared and he could bite.

Ok sounds great I see you have 5 rescue cats we've had our rescue tuxedo cat meowson for a year and he has a better chance at holding the beardie than I do they almost look like their playing together it's pretty cool

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran

Yeah I agree, I would work my way up to this. Don't do it straight away. Get him use to actually seeing your hand first. I also have herd that putting a piece of your clothing in the enclosure with him can help him to learn your scent (this helped me with my snake) just make sure it has no body spray or anything on it

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Ok sounds great I see you have 5 rescue cats we've had our rescue tuxedo cat meowson for a year and he has a better chance at holding the beardie than I do they almost look like their playing together it's pretty cool

People have just dropped these cats off to me over the last 8 years. It's sad but I've given them a home with food and love. Rescue animals are the best. That's great that your cat and beardie are getting along!! That's a great sign!! Wally will lick Misty's nose when we walk past her. It's funny!

I was just re reading some of the posts and as far as his age he might only be about a year. Cuz of his size, length. Once you gain his trust you could measure him. I do weekly weights and measurements but mine are babies.

And because he's skinny he might not eat a lot right away. You need to keep trying to feed him 3 times a day, but if he only eats 15 then that's okay. He will eventually eat more crickets than you can buy in 1 day! Lol

Are you thinking about taking him to a vet after you gain his trust? They could help you with his age.

Maddie

Juvenile Dragon
From the pictures it looks like you still have a baby possibly 3 or 4 months old. Especially if he's only 8in long.

Gaining trust will take time, just try to comfort him as much as he will allow. And congrats on your new beautiful baby.

Dinky-Blinky

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Try feeding him live food with twizzers. Dubai roaches are easy to feed with twizzers. When he has taken the food softly stroke his beard. Place the tweezers infront of him below his head. He will start to associate u with food n start to trust you. Or if your brave enough put food on palm of your hand and offer him it to him but he may accidentally nip you.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to the forum...If you haven't check out the links below several of our comments on general care for new comers it will answer alot of your questions.. it has links for food items and what is good for daily/occas/rarely and how they should be prepped.. Greens/veggies cut in sizes approp for the size dragon should be offered all day. Eventually they will eat more of it. pellets really are not good for them and tend to take valuable moisture from them.. Babies should be fed 3 times a day what they will eat in 10-15 min or when they walk away..
They will sleep in the strangest positions :) They do have teeth but it doesn't really hurt it's more like a scratch feeling. Make sure that you keep his tank nice and clean so it doesn't harbor odors/bacteria.
In time he will trust you more..

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It really will just take some time for him to adjust to his new home and owner.. Make sure that your husbandry is good, what are your temps, lighting? you may want to cover 3 sides of his tank and offer more hides so he feels safe..you can post pictures of your set up that way we can help tweak things... There is a wealth of knowledge here to help you and your scaly friend..

Cori

Juvenile Dragon
When I got my first baby, Stormy she would freak out and run even if I just opened her tank. So I stopped even thinking about holding her. I'd just put my hand in the tank and as soon as she stopped freaking out I'd do what I needed to do quickly (feed or clean poop), and eventually she stopped freaking out and now after lots of baby steps she's bonding really well

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Mason

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey guys love all your advice and comments here's a mushu update lots of health and this is a happy beardie

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    876.2 KB · Views: 18

Latest posts