• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Really need help- EGG HELP.

Daeyang

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
So my neighbors have 2 bearded dragons. Two Females, they are both around 3-5 years old. They are both in the same tank- about 20 gallons...(sad i know) And one of thee females LAID EGGS. They are 2 females so can they be fertile at all? They haven't been with a male at all in there whole lives. They have the eggs in an incubator in case at about 81- 84 ˚F with a plate at the bottom for humidity :/
Please do not yell "tell them to get a bigger tank" and all that stuff, I know it's very sad but I've mentioned it and everything and they just don't want to get another one. I might even give them my extra 35 gallon tank so they would at least be a bit happier. And there light bulbs..well don't even give light. Is that ok? I'm not sure >.< they give heat, but not light.. that's about all I know. Info if eggs might actually be fertile? and Why did she lay eggs if not??

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Some Female BDs will lay infertile eggs without ever being bred, one of mine does at least once a year. It's a hormonal thing that triggers it. By your explanation, no, there is no way they could possibly be fertile. Your friend will soon have some dried up or stinky eggs. Unless of course, they have not been sexed properly & one is actually male. Are the eggs plump & well formed?

If there are no lights (Must be a CHE) then they are not getting UVB either. It is sad, BDs do thrive in Bright/White Light, some people will just refuse to listen. Continue to try to educate them, that is all you can do.

Here is a pic of Dinah laying & of her infertile eggs ...

DinahMoreEggs13-07-11010.jpg

DinahMoreEggs13-07-11013.jpg

Daeyang

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Well there eggs don't actually seem.. that "squishy" rom your photos, they actually look sort of like rocks o.o

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sounds like they're dried up, probably light brown in color & were likely found in the enclosure some time after they were actually laid.

Daeyang

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Alright, well tomorrow I babysit there kids, so I'll check there beardies out, and the eggs, and I'll check the sex of each.

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just wanted 2 check in, were u able 2 look at the eggs?

Daeyang

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I'll also take photos of the eggs, the eggs are 3 weeks old now.

Reactions: Jp

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Cool, also take pictures of the potential parents.

Daeyang

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I will! I will take a picture of them, and underneath there tails (gender)

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Cool, if these dragons are old enough 2 breed, visible signs may be available. Look for pores on the inner thighs as well, blackened beard area, etc.

Daeyang

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Alright, just got back. I checked the eggs, none are fertile- FOR SURE. I'll upload photos tomorrow, also, they are both females FOR SURE. annnnd they are both really skinny :(

Daeyang

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Alright, took a bunch of photos- ASK any questions (like the red dot- its permanent marker =____= thee daughter wanted to decorate it)
DSCN3555.jpg

DSCN3552.jpg

DSCN3558.jpg

DSCN3558.jpg

DSCN3557.jpg

This is the "lower" one of the two, the non-dominate one. And let me tell you, its extremely skinny. They feed them 2 superworms a day...and lettuce. =____=
DSCN3567.jpg

DSCN3568.jpg

DSCN3569.jpg

The other one:

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Poor poor things :(
Is there anything you can do to help them out? I know it's hard when people don't listen and don't want to give up an animal that isn't doing well under their care. I guess there's a lot of guilt associated with that...
Good luck in doing the right thing. At least they have you who can help them make some improvements!

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Definitely not appropriate housing for 2 dragons, hopefully you can help them get something worked out soon.

Daeyang

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Well.. All i have here is a 20 gallon..but i always say.."hey if you'd like for awhile, i can take one of your beardies and take care of it for awhile"
but they immidetly say "no no its ok.. they'll miss each other"

silverado991

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
anything with that cruel of a setup WILL NEVER produce fertile eggs i dont care if you had super dragons its impossible im extremely suprise the dragon wasent egg bound and had the strength to lay eggs (females can be bi gender and impregnate another dragon ive seen it once) you can check if they were infact fertile if you had a flashlight to see the vein structure

even if they had fertile eggs you would have killed them by now but what the hell im trying to figure out is how they spent 150 on a incubator but arent able to take proper care of there dragons

i believe i saw there was no uvb so how she managed to lay eggs is weird,setups like this are considered animal cruelty and if your able to get pictures to your local animal police officers actions can be taken depending on the state i think about half cover cold blooded animals now

i remember seeing a article written somewhere about the new guidelines(just looked up a few articles and if im reading correctly the animal has to die before anythings done but it results in a felony charge )

Latest posts