• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Proper insect amount??

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Yes. Beardies aren't super active in captivity, like they are in the wild, but they still eat like they would in the wild. Often times you find chunky and overweight dragons. I don't let my babies eat their heart out on roaches, especially in the winter, but I will let them munch away on greens. Chance excluded, of course, since he's still just a wee thing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
As mine got older they tapered off how many bugs they ate per day. Instead of 10 supers, they'd only want 8 or 6. Then they got to the point where they didn't want to eat everyday but every other day.

derbydragon77

Hatchling Dragon
Just wanted to update everyone, I've actually moved her to a larger 4x2 enclosure and have noticed a huge change in her appetite. She's even eating her salads!! So exciting to watch a happy, healthy and active Dragon now.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

derbydragon77

Hatchling Dragon
I'd feed her as many dubia as she'll eat twice a day. My little guy, about her size, eats anywhere from 20 to 40 dubia a day, plus salad. I also feed BSFL (phoenix worms), red runner roaches, and mini superworms (maybe once a week) to add a little spice to their life.

It looks like you have a coil style UVB bulb. Those can be damaging to your little ones eyes and don't provide much in the way of UVB, since it's contained to such a small area. I'd suggest switching to a reptisun 10.0 T5HO fluorescent tube style UVB. Do you know the temperature of your basking spot? I see that you have a dial guage in the middle. If you don't already have one, an infrared temp gun comes in handy. It can give you the surface temp of you girl's basking spot so that you can keep everything within a perfect range.

640f430931fded997bdc7ea3ee1746d4.jpg
thank you for your advice, she's doing much better.

Joe Giddz

Hatchling Dragon
Glad too see your getting there with Khaleesi! I was exactly the same with drogo. And 2 months down the line hes great and settled in as im sure Khaleesi will be all the help on here is amazing and as i am still a newbieish haha. I am willing to help on any advice you need just message me and i will help as best as i can. All the best to you and your little one! I might suggest getting a bigger basking spot maybe abit closer to the bulb but not too close.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

derbydragon77

Hatchling Dragon
Glad too see your getting there with Khaleesi! I was exactly the same with drogo. And 2 months down the line hes great and settled in as im sure Khaleesi will be all the help on here is amazing and as i am still a newbieish haha. I am willing to help on any advice you need just message me and i will help as best as i can. All the best to you and your little one! I might suggest getting a bigger basking spot maybe abit closer to the bulb but not too close.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
I've moved the "log" she's sitting on directly under the basking spot. At the top she's only about 4 inches from the bulb.

MooshiChi

Hatchling Dragon
Great enclosure. I love wooden enclosures as they hold the heat in way better than full glass.

Here is my girls enclosure
1c51ca3a5a839ed9db49eedfdf3bfdc3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

derbydragon77

Hatchling Dragon
Great enclosure. I love wooden enclosures as they hold the heat in way better than full glass.

Here is my girls enclosure
1c51ca3a5a839ed9db49eedfdf3bfdc3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looovvveeee the ladders!! May have to steal the idea

derbydragon77

Hatchling Dragon
Keep offering bugs. Have you offered her any greens yet? My boy turns his nose up at bugs some days, oddly enough, but still tears apart his salad. You can try collard greens, mustard greens, turnip greens, and dandelion greens. Those are all good staple veggies. See if she shows any interest in them. My beardies also have a reduced appetite at the moment, since it's winter. She looks a bit young for brumation behavior, but even my 10 month old slowed down a bit.

Another thing you can do for piece of mind is get a scale that weighs in grams. Keep an eye on her weight. She may not be eating much, but if she isn't losing weight, you're in the clear.

She is doing much better!! Eating greens and veggies now.

Latest posts