• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Proper insect amount??

derbydragon77

Hatchling Dragon
I've only had my baby 2 weeks and this is my first dragon so I am learning as I go and doing research. My concern is how much do I feed her?? I'm not exact on her age but I believe she is around 7 months old. I'm currently feeding 3 dubia twice a day and 3 superworms in the evening with a salad mix. I dust the dubia and worms with a d3 calcium powder. Sometimes she eats right away and other times she waits. How do I know if she is getting the right amount?? I've included a pic of her setup, I have a basking light on the left and uvb on the right. She seems to enjoy her 40gallon enclosure and uses each section.
0210172210.jpg

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I'd feed her as many dubia as she'll eat twice a day. My little guy, about her size, eats anywhere from 20 to 40 dubia a day, plus salad. I also feed BSFL (phoenix worms), red runner roaches, and mini superworms (maybe once a week) to add a little spice to their life.

It looks like you have a coil style UVB bulb. Those can be damaging to your little ones eyes and don't provide much in the way of UVB, since it's contained to such a small area. I'd suggest switching to a reptisun 10.0 T5HO fluorescent tube style UVB. Do you know the temperature of your basking spot? I see that you have a dial guage in the middle. If you don't already have one, an infrared temp gun comes in handy. It can give you the surface temp of you girl's basking spot so that you can keep everything within a perfect range.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

derbydragon77

Hatchling Dragon
I'd feed her as many dubia as she'll eat twice a day. My little guy, about her size, eats anywhere from 20 to 40 dubia a day, plus salad. I also feed BSFL (phoenix worms), red runner roaches, and mini superworms (maybe once a week) to add a little spice to their life.

It looks like you have a coil style UVB bulb. Those can be damaging to your little ones eyes and don't provide much in the way of UVB, since it's contained to such a small area. I'd suggest switching to a reptisun 10.0 T5HO fluorescent tube style UVB. Do you know the temperature of your basking spot? I see that you have a dial guage in the middle. If you don't already have one, an infrared temp gun comes in handy. It can give you the surface temp of you girl's basking spot so that you can keep everything within a perfect range.

I'm building her an enclosure and will be putting a tube uvb light in. As of right now she doesn't eat all of the dubia that I put in with her every time. I gave her a hornworm this afternoon and she still hasn't eaten it. I do not have a temp gun but she seems to be regulating her temp fairly well. She loves being under her rock but she also basks like normal
0202171544.jpg
0211171348.jpg

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Do you ever see any open mouth basking behavior? That's how I know I have my temps just where they need to be. Beardies open their mouths to release excess heat, which let's you know they are nice and toasty.

A custom build is a great idea. I do custom 4x2 enclosures for all of my beardies once they get big enough.

Is the beardie a new addition? If so, that may explain the lack of appetite.

KrissyLeigh

Juvenile Dragon
I'm not exact on her age but I believe she is around 7 months old. I'm currently feeding 3 dubia twice a day and 3 superworms in the evening with a salad mix. View attachment 16091

Mine is 8 months and eats 25 large worms (BSFL), salad, and 30-50 dubia a day, depending on how many I decide to give him (based on how many I have left, what size they are ,etc).

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Coil bulbs are horrible. For a temporary situation use a compact fluorescent bulb. Not as good as a tube bulb but better than a coil. Also put the UVB and the basking bulb together. They need to overlap to process D3 and calcium properly.

Normally I would advise you to alternate between calcium w/D3 and calcium w/o D3 but in this situation I think you should dust just one meal a day with the calcium w/D3. Also get a multivitamin to use a few times a week.

derbydragon77

Hatchling Dragon
Do you ever see any open mouth basking behavior? That's how I know I have my temps just where they need to be. Beardies open their mouths to release excess heat, which let's you know they are nice and toasty.

A custom build is a great idea. I do custom 4x2 enclosures for all of my beardies once they get big enough.

I've never seen her do the open mouth basking. I've moved the bulbs to where the temp is averaging 100° at her basking spot. I've also but the uvb bulb closer to the basking bulb. I have noticed a change for the better in her activity but not her appetite.

derbydragon77

Hatchling Dragon

I've had her 3 weeks, she is letting me hold her and I've been able to give her a bath. How long is the normal adjustment period??

derbydragon77

Hatchling Dragon
Coil bulbs are horrible. For a temporary situation use a compact fluorescent bulb. Not as good as a tube bulb but better than a coil. Also put the UVB and the basking bulb together. They need to overlap to process D3 and calcium properly.

Normally I would advise you to alternate between calcium w/D3 and calcium w/o D3 but in this situation I think you should dust just one meal a day with the calcium w/D3. Also get a multivitamin to use a few times a week.
Once I finish the custom enclosure I will be installing a tube uvb bulb and a nocturnal bulb. Does the basking bulb need to be tube or can I use the current one?? It's a 100w

derbydragon77

Hatchling Dragon
Mine is 8 months and eats 25 large worms (BSFL), salad, and 30-50 dubia a day, depending on how many I decide to give him (based on how many I have left, what size they are ,etc).
Wow mine only eats 3 worms and about 10 roaches. Which sometimes she doesn't eat all of them. I gave her a hornworm and she won't touch it. I'm now worried......

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
No open mouth basking tells us that she isn't getting as warm as she needs to be. This can negatively impact her appetite, if she feels she can't get warm enough to digest properly.

Getting her some proper UVB is important as well. Without a good UVB source, you may notice a lack/loss of appetite, as well as lethargy. Without adequate UVB, they can't synthesize D3, and without D3 calcium cant be used properly ehich can have some very bad consequences long term. I'd get a tube style UVB bulb on her before thinking about a custom build. With proper temps and UVB, I think you'll see her activity level increase, as well as her appetite.

As for your future build, a standard basking bulb is what you want. Then the tube style UVB which should cover no less than 2/3 of the tank. Once you get her current tank set up, you can make a thread for questions on your build. Quite a few of us have made our own enclosures, and we can share pictures and ideas with you to help you create the perfect adult enclosure.

derbydragon77

Hatchling Dragon
No open mouth basking tells us that she isn't getting as warm as she needs to be. This can negatively impact her appetite, if she feels she can't get warm enough to digest properly.

Getting her some proper UVB is important as well. Without a good UVB source, you may notice a lack/loss of appetite, as well as lethargy. Without adequate UVB, they can't synthesize D3, and without D3 calcium cant be used properly ehich can have some very bad consequences long term. I'd get a tube style UVB bulb on her before thinking about a custom build. With proper temps and UVB, I think you'll see her activity level increase, as well as her appetite.

As for your future build, a standard basking bulb is what you want. Then the tube style UVB which should cover no less than 2/3 of the tank. Once you get her current tank set up, you can make a thread for questions on your build. Quite a few of us have made our own enclosures, and we can share pictures and ideas with you to help you create the perfect adult enclosure.

Thank you so much Eavlynn. I'll go get her a tube uvb today. I'm also one of those "I'd rather be safe than sorry" types. Its better to spend the money on what she needs then wait and need a vet.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thank you so much Eavlynn. I'll go get her a tube uvb today. I'm also one of those "I'd rather be safe than sorry" types. Its better to spend the money on what she needs then wait and need a vet.

I couldn't agree more! A few bucks for proper equipment is far cheaper than future vet bills.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Once I finish the custom enclosure I will be installing a tube uvb bulb and a nocturnal bulb. Does the basking bulb need to be tube or can I use the current one?? It's a 100w

You don't need any lighting at night, as long as it doesn't get below 65F your fine, if it gets colder then get a CHE ceramic heating element...Any colored lights at night don't allow them to fully rest as they are able to see the shadows via the 3rd eye. Also colored lights don't allow the eye's to constrict properly.

derbydragon77

Hatchling Dragon
I turn off both lights at night and use a reptile low temp heat mat. I ended up buying her a 4ft L × 2ft W × 2ft D enclosure. It has a tube uvb and a basking light. All temps are great, she's already more active and she's a brighter color.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I turn off both lights at night and use a reptile low temp heat mat. I ended up buying her a 4ft L × 2ft W × 2ft D enclosure. It has a tube uvb and a basking light. All temps are great, she's already more active and she's a brighter color.

That's fantastic! I can't believe you found an enclosure like that already made. I have to laboriously plan, build and decorate my own 4x2 enclosures. It sounds like your little gal is happy with her new home.

derbydragon77

Hatchling Dragon
That's fantastic! I can't believe you found an enclosure like that already made. I have to laboriously plan, build and decorate my own 4x2 enclosures. It sounds like your little gal is happy with her new home.

She does enjoy it. When I first put her in it she ate about 5 super worms and 3 dubia. Today she's only eaten 1 superworm. I'm very concerned about her eating. I've read on here about them 20-40 dubia at a time and she's never even eaten that in a day. I'm not sure if her previous owner fed her often. So could she be used to a smaller diet?? How do I tell if she's hungry?? I've tried putting her in her carrier with buggies but she wouldn't eat.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
She does enjoy it. When I first put her in it she ate about 5 super worms and 3 dubia. Today she's only eaten 1 superworm. I'm very concerned about her eating. I've read on here about them 20-40 dubia at a time and she's never even eaten that in a day. I'm not sure if her previous owner fed her often. So could she be used to a smaller diet?? How do I tell if she's hungry?? I've tried putting her in her carrier with buggies but she wouldn't eat.

Keep offering bugs. Have you offered her any greens yet? My boy turns his nose up at bugs some days, oddly enough, but still tears apart his salad. You can try collard greens, mustard greens, turnip greens, and dandelion greens. Those are all good staple veggies. See if she shows any interest in them. My beardies also have a reduced appetite at the moment, since it's winter. She looks a bit young for brumation behavior, but even my 10 month old slowed down a bit.

Another thing you can do for piece of mind is get a scale that weighs in grams. Keep an eye on her weight. She may not be eating much, but if she isn't losing weight, you're in the clear.

derbydragon77

Hatchling Dragon
Keep offering bugs. Have you offered her any greens yet? My boy turns his nose up at bugs some days, oddly enough, but still tears apart his salad. You can try collard greens, mustard greens, turnip greens, and dandelion greens. Those are all good staple veggies. See if she shows any interest in them. My beardies also have a reduced appetite at the moment, since it's winter. She looks a bit young for brumation behavior, but even my 10 month old slowed down a bit.

Another thing you can do for piece of mind is get a scale that weighs in grams. Keep an eye on her weight. She may not be eating much, but if she isn't losing weight, you're in the clear.

I offer her a greens and veggie/fruit mix every day. She doesn't seem to be eating it but I'm still putting it in her enclosure. Haven't tried collard greens yet but I'll be going to the store today, so I'll grab some

Nubs

Hatchling Dragon
Hi,
My vet said my Nubs only needs 10 roaches a day. He's six months now. I feed lots of salad too. The vet said they overeat on the meat. Has anyone else's vet said this?