• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

phoenix and super worms

pitgrl18

Hatchling Dragon
looking for a reputable website to order some.. only looking to order cups of a hundred or so.. otherwise i would already have a good place to get them lol any help is appreciated :)

pitgrl18

Hatchling Dragon
scratch that just looking to order supers lol going to wait til monday and get my phoenix worms

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Most of the sites I've looked at only sell supers in large quantities. I haven't seen anything under 1000.

pitgrl18

Hatchling Dragon
are wax worms ok to feed also ? im really trying to get away from crickets but also give my beardies more variety..

NickG1987

Hatchling Dragon
Wax worms should only be fed as treats. They are super high in fat from what I've heard and not much calcium to balance it out. My dragon loves them, but only as treats. I feed my dragon 3x a day. Phoenix worms in the morning for calcium, dubias at lunchtime for the protein, and phoenix worms at night for more calcium.

pitgrl18

Hatchling Dragon
yea i cant do roaches so im looking for another feeder to do with the phoenix worms and supers, unless those 2 are ok..

NickG1987

Hatchling Dragon
You can't find the roaches, or you physically can't do them? Supers may be an okay replacement, but I would check their protein % against the supers. Also remember, I am not an expert, and have not had a bearded long, I'm simply stating what works for my dragon. I feed him this diet, with a daily salad of course, and he eats a horse.

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Protein is not a concern when feeding insect prey. All insects contain more than enough protein content regardless of species.

Pitgrl, you can look at feeding hornworms, nightcrawlers, frozen snails, butter worms, wax worms, supers, etc along with the Phoenix worms.

pitgrl18

Hatchling Dragon
ok awesome. i mean ive been feeding supers and crickets but i want to get away from crickets id at all possible. as far as roaches go, im in florida so im very limited as to which roaches i can get. i havent found any in pet stores and although i could ship them i am quite petrified of them so im not sure i could do it lol

pitgrl18

Hatchling Dragon
i cant get them in Florida.. even if i did grow a pair and force myself to touch them lol the thought of touching them makes me want to scream lol or cry haha im a wimp

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
i think ill stick to Phoenix and supers lol throw in some horn worms as treats lol

I can't handle roaches either! They completely creep me out, plus can't convince people that they aren't the same roaches that are pests. Luckily for me, my beardies are the weirdest ones in the world and they didn't like them! I feed mostly supers and hornworms and throw some crickets in occasionally. I still have to keep crickets in the house for my frogs.

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Was just reminded from another thread about silkworms, they are a great one to throw into the mix too. Not as big as the horns and supers, but much better nutritionally speaking. And dont forget the nightcrawlers! A lot of people overlook them but they are one of the most nutritious feeders around. Great Ca: P ratio and lots of other good minerals from the soil

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
@jarich when you feed them night crawlers can they eat the worm whole or do you have to cut it up?

RF Wildlife

Bearded Dragon Egg
Are night crawlers from a bait shop ok? What do you use to gut load them?
Silks are hit or miss feast or famine:) many times they are tough to find. My Chameleon only eats the moths my beardie will eat the whole cup of worms if I let him. Jarich do you know the nutritional value of zophobas beetles (superworm beetles)? Can not find any info on them.

Latest posts