• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to bearded dragons

Kirstylou

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi all im new to this
I have had my bearded dragon for 3 days. His name is marshall he is 2 years old.
Upto yet he has only been handled my my mum and me to move him into his new vivarium, its me who puts his food in and strokes him as i will be the main handler of him! Earlier today his beard went black when i went to stroke him and he backed away so i left him. He has been closing his eyes when i have been stroking him. Is that a good thing with? Also how long should i wait to pick him up and put him on me for cuddles? I dont want to push it and scare him

Thankyou in advance

Kirstylou

Bearded Dragon Egg
Also he has been eating he has had veg a couple of wax worms and also 4 crickets in the last 3 days and done a poo which i got told from the reptile shop that is good after a move of home.
Yesterday he stayed under his heat bulb alot basking and gaping but today he has been doing alot of glass surfing and jumping up the side of his vivarium and hardly done any basking. Is this normal behaviour? He also keeps jumping up at the strip light to headbutt it. The lady at the pet shop said that could be due to it being a new thing as in his old vivarium he just had a bulb not a strip light

Mom of blazey

Juvenile Dragon
When you come at your beardie don't go over his head, he'll think you're a bird of prey, scoop him up under his belly and let him rest on your hand his face facing you and let his back legs fall between your fingers. Handle him often, he'll get used to you. Closing his eyes is wonderful. The only way he'll get used to you is thru handling. The glass surfing means: pick me up plz, make sure he has a side of his enclosure is between 82-85F, they need a place to cool off, preferably something he can go under. Food: greens everyday (collard greens, mustard greens,turnip greens, these are some of the best) crickets 2X week dusted with calcium powder, wax worms are like cake to them and should only be given as a treat, mine get maybe 5 each a month. Superworms are good too

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

Mom of blazey

Juvenile Dragon
Any more questions we're here, I've got 8 and have had them 7 yrs

Kirstylou

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thankyou so much. Tomorrow is going to be the day i get him out as i dont want him getting stressed in there.
Is 12 hours light/heat right for him? As soon as i turn off his heat and light he finds a spot and goes straight go sleep and he has been in the same place and position when i go down in the morning :) so cute

Kirstylou

Bearded Dragon Egg
When he is glass surfing and seems stressed out when i go near the vivarium and talk to him it seems to soothe him but i got told to leave him to settle and not to pick him up for at least a week but i will try him tomorrow

Mom of blazey

Juvenile Dragon
I've never heard of not picking them up, I feel the sooner the better. Yes 12 on, 12 off. Mine usually go right sleep too, once their lights go off. Yes if you speak to him and take him out with confidence he should be fine. Remember. ...be confidant and go with positive energy, smile and stroke him head to tail, send some pics, we love em. Now, if you find he might want to run around bcuz mine do as soon as they come out, make sure you're somewhere where he'll be safe. Example : nowhere that he can get hurt, behind furniture that you can't get to. He'll run out of energy fast. You're about to have a wonderful friend. Good luck

Mom of blazey

Juvenile Dragon
Also, remember pick him up under his belly, not above him☺

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to the forum and to beardies!! Under several of our comments you will find links to general care, food items, diseases, lighting, temps pretty much anything you may need information on.. We are always adding to it but for the most part it's good to go..
Relocation stress can last a week or more and for some not at all, both of mine I handled right off the bat and they never had any problems.. At 2 they can pack a bite but I think he is bluffing with his black beard so if it were me I would scoop him up confidently but gently :) Males this time of year are on the go looking for love!! My male will surf and surf until he wears himself out or I take him out and let him run in a room that has been danger proofed, in there I have a basking spot for if they get cool, but they both get time running around in there where I know they are safe.. My male prefers to hunt his Dubia roaches instead of eating them from a bowl..so when he's out I'll toss them 1 at a time and he chases them and eats them right up..

What you also can do is handle him close to bedtime when he's getting sleepy and do cuddle time then..that way he can get used to your smell and sounds and you can build trust that way too..

Feel free to ask any questions you may have and yes we love pictures.

puffthedragon

Hatchling Dragon
Welcome! I rescued a 3 year old about a month ago who was pretty much unsociable, didn't want to be touched and black bearded me quite often. I can now confidently pick him up and he doesn't try to thrash around, he'll even lay on me while I pet him and fall asleep. Just be consistent, and love on him as often as you can. They really are very sweet and humorous little guys!

Kirstylou

Bearded Dragon Egg
I just went in nice and slowly to stroke him like i have been doing the last few days all ready to try n pick her up i stroked her head then she puffed up and beard went black and he opened his mouth! So now thats scared me even more about trying to pick him up :(

Mom of blazey

Juvenile Dragon
You're doing a good job, don't give up, try not to come at her from above, put your hand in so she can see it 1st, then stroke her head, she might just need a little time, no worries

Kirstylou

Bearded Dragon Egg
Im worried if i just keep stroking him and not pickin him up he might just end up being aggressive but it has only been 4 days since we got him so its still early days.
Im wanting to get rid of the sand in his tank soon and put a different thing in so he needs to get used to me so i can sort that for him

I have read putting a small item of clothing i have worn will make him get used to my smell...is that something worth trying

Mom of blazey

Juvenile Dragon
Yes plz get rid of the sand asap, it's terrible for beardies! If you have maybe a shirt you could put in that'd be great for your guy. Keep trying, don't let him dictate the relationship, sounds like you love the guy, maybe you could share some pics/video and we may be better able to guide you
Good luck and don't give up☺

BrookeE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I think the whole "dont pick them up for a week" or "handle them immediately and often" debate is really just more of a personal preference and definitely a play-it-by-ear situation. I brought mine home from a pet store when she was tiny. She was not displaying any signs of being scared or needing time alone to adapt. She seemed very social right off the bat, which is why I picked her. Still, I wanted to exercise caution, so I would hand feed her a cricket, and then stroke her beard, feed her a cricket, and then stroke her beard, over and over again. But I didnt pick her up until she'd been with me for probably about 5 days and by that point she was pretty comfortable with my hands. But thats just one of many many ways do do things.

Just try to follow your gut instinct. If you feel like your beardie is still a bit uneasy, maybe just stick with feeding and petting her. If you think they are ready to be picked up, go for it, but be slow and gentle. Some people prefer just going for it and letting their beardie get used to them. Just try to read the signs they display and do what you think is best. Don't really know that theres a "right" answer.

If I were you, Id just go ahead and pick him up to change the sand. You'll wanna get a better substrate asap, especially with a baby. You dont want any health problems this early on. He's had a few days to settle in by now so it should be okay.

Ive heard plenty of people recommend putting some clothing in with them, dont know that theres much evidence to back it up, but I certainly dont think it would hurt anything, as long as you make sure bugs dont use it as a hiding place.

Just be patient! These guys bluff so well they could win the world series of poker tournament. Ive been shown the beard and teeth plenty of times, and I know it certainly looks intimidating, but its almost always a bluff. Ive never had one intentionally bite me. Its not something that should be ignored, but slowly and carefully pick him up anyways. Once you pick him up, he will most likely put the beard away and be just fine. Even IF you did get bitten, it really wouldnt hurt since its still a baby, but like I said, I cant just about guarantee he won't bite you. Dont let it discourage you.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
This is what I would do if this was my dragon, he's 2 years old you really don't know his background so he may need more time to settle into his new home.. Don't fret he will calm down.. I would put on a thin glove (if your afraid) and just slowly but confidently swoop in and lift him up from in front of him and under his beard and belly.. Like BrookE said it's likely just a bluff to see what/how you will respond and once in your hands he may wiggle but should calm down quickly.. IF he does bite don't back down try again show him your not afraid of him and that you are good.. Then put him in another container so you can get rid of the sand asap.

Sometimes when they have had bad human experiences it just takes alittle longer to gain trust but I tell you what once you get it that will be a great bond!!

So just go for it :)

Kirstylou

Bearded Dragon Egg
received_10155295486496410.jpeg
I do love the little guy and want a really good friendship with him so hopefully we can in the near future.

I have just got home from work and he is in his sleep position like he was waiting for his lights to be turned off.

As said i know little about his background but one thing they did say made me feel they didnt really care or know much about them was when they told me that he can go a month without live food it wont harm him!! Bless him.

He gives me the look like he is intrested in me he like tilts his head as if he is listening to me and follows me around the room with his eyes like as i walk past he watches me sit down then i look over 5 mins later and he is still looking at me like he is takin it all in if you know what i mean. When i speak to him he closes his eyes too.

I will have to just go for it like you said and show him whos boss but in a nice way so i can get rid of that sand!! And also have a cuddle :)

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
View attachment 16520 I do love the little guy and want a really good friendship with him so hopefully we can in the near future.

I have just got home from work and he is in his sleep position like he was waiting for his lights to be turned off.

As said i know little about his background but one thing they did say made me feel they didnt really care or know much about them was when they told me that he can go a month without live food it wont harm him!! Bless him.

He gives me the look like he is intrested in me he like tilts his head as if he is listening to me and follows me around the room with his eyes like as i walk past he watches me sit down then i look over 5 mins later and he is still looking at me like he is takin it all in if you know what i mean. When i speak to him he closes his eyes too.

I will have to just go for it like you said and show him whos boss but in a nice way so i can get rid of that sand!! And also have a cuddle :)
He is very handsome!!! Awe poor thing he needs protein and isn't used to having any very often.. He has that sweet face saying I'm not used to being attended to .... what are you??? I'll just watch you... Bless his heart I see good things with this one and you so do it to it and get that kiddo in a sand free home and a cuddle time :)

He definitely needs some fattening up as his fat pads ontop of his head look flat and the areas at the very base of each jaw line there are areas that get plump too.. so he needs some good TLC and yummy bugs and supplements

Kirstylou

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thankyou. He is so cute i cant stop looking at him.
He was also kept in their bedroom so it was probably alot more quiet there.
He is probably also getting used to the new noises and i have a 4 year old daughter always talking to him through the glass

Latest posts