• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New owner :)

nikatina14

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello :) I am new to owning a beardie and the one I have is very young and small, I love looking at him and have been just letting him get to know his new home for the past week that I've had him. I feel like its time to start trying to pet and possibly hold him but I am very nervous! He is so small and quick! Any advice would be appreciated:)

Also the other night I was looking at him and talking to him and he came up to the front and like laid down flat and stared at me, it was very cute and I was wondering if anyone knew what it could mean...

Thanks for reading!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
He wants you to touch him :)

Don't be nervous, start out slow. He's getting to know you as much as you are him. Start by reaching into his tank and gently rubbing his head. If he jumps or tries to bite you don't flinch, just keep at it. He needs to know you are not going to hurt him. You can also just hold him in his tank to get used to him. Always scoop him from the front so he can see you coming. They have a "third eye" on the top of their head that senses when possible danger is near so if you put your hand over him he might get scared.

nikatina14

Bearded Dragon Egg
That is great to hear:) thank you! I have never held a reptile before...so when I talk to him I always tell him um just as scared as he is :p my husband suggested wearing a glove the first few times, do you think that would be okay?

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
That is great to hear:) thank you! I have never held a reptile before...so when I talk to him I always tell him um just as scared as he is :p my husband suggested wearing a glove the first few times, do you think that would be okay?
Congrats on ur.newbie. No i wudnt wear a glove beardie like to lick things to get a sense n taste of things. So id start bybwhen u put ur uand in the viv let him have a little lick of u so he can get use to ur smell. Also like patsy said hold him in the viv start with a few strokes. Make sure u have.ur hand completely under his belly b4 u lift him up. Close to bed time is the easiest time coz he will b sleepy :) gud look and let us no how u get on. Wud luv 2 c a pic :)

nikatina14

Bearded Dragon Egg
Sorry lol this is him

Attachments

• WP_20140707_001.jpg
    WP_20140707_001.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 27

nikatina14

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks for the advice! I was iffy about the glove because I figured it would throw him off, and now I know it would...

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
OMG, he's so tiny, I love it! Don't wear a glove. Another thing that helps is to put a piece of clothing in his tank so he can get used to your smell.

nikatina14

Bearded Dragon Egg
I will do...as soon as I get him back :( he was all down today and didn't eat anything he just laid on the bottom of his cage so I got worried and called the vet at petsmart and they have him now :( they said they would call in the morning and let me know how he is. Has this sort of thing happened to anyone? The girl said he might have a deficiency and that treatment could take between 2weeks to a month. Which is a really big bummer! I am just worried about him :/ ((dragon lord) I guess this really is a support group hua?)

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
I will do...as soon as I get him back :( he was all down today and didn't eat anything he just laid on the bottom of his cage so I got worried and called the vet at petsmart and they have him now :( they said they would call in the morning and let me know how he is. Has this sort of thing happened to anyone? The girl said he might have a deficiency and that treatment could take between 2weeks to a month. Which is a really big bummer! I am just worried about him :/ ((dragon lord) I guess this really is a support group hua?)
Aw sorry to hear.bout ur little 1 hope he returns home safe n sound soon :)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I'm so sorry this happened. This really is a support group here, so if you need to talk we are all here.

I would now take a look at your tank and make sure that everything is set up like it's supposed to be. Also, I know people are going to chime in here, don't get discouraged with the pet store. They aren't always horrible places to get your pets. I go my frogs from Petco and have had three of them for 3 years and two for just over a year now. Dexter came from Petsmart, she is 18 months now and she weighs over a pound. Luci came from Petco and he is 8 months and probably about 250 grams now. So all things from the pet store aren't bad, you just don't listen to what they tell you at the store because you have all these people on the forum with more experience :) Oh and I also had a vet that I took my frogs to that said he used to be an in store vet for one of the big stores, so the vets aren't always bad either.

nikatina14

Bearded Dragon Egg
Awe thank you guys! I was starting to feel stupid because a lady that was there the day I got him said that all the little ones from petsmart die because they sell them too young :/ but I really love him already and he has shown me some of his cute personality so I can't wait to get him back and get to know him better!

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Awe thank you guys! I was starting to feel stupid because a lady that was there the day I got him said that all the little ones from petsmart die because they sell them too young :/ but I really love him already and he has shown me some of his cute personality so I can't wait to get him back and get to know him better!
Yea they sell them young....... But it's 9 times outta 10 the owners negligence and irresponsibility that kills them

nikatina14

Bearded Dragon Egg
That is actually good to hear. I haven't heard from them yet this morning and im resisting the urge to call and bug them!

Knoteb

Hatchling Dragon
I hope your little one turns out to be okay. I was really nervous when got my first beardie too. It seems silly now but I understand. I would just leave my hand in the tank and she would come up and smell it. I did that for a few weeks until I could get the courage up to touch her. It wasn't long before she was snuggling and darting across my bed. They will naturally cling to you when you pick them up. That makes it easier once you move to out of the tank snuggling.

nikatina14

Bearded Dragon Egg
Its nice to hear that someone else has been scared too! I pet him when I dropped him off and I was all proud lol... I am so excited for the day when I can sit with a full grown dragon on me and not be scared :D

Latest posts