• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My furbaby :(

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
My apologize to everyone ahead of time if I'm not on the forum as much or my responses don't make sense. My 17 year old cat Isis's kidneys are starting to fail. We knew for some time this was going to happen but at her last checkup her values were good but now 6 months later they aren't so good and she's already lost 1 1/2 pounds. We've started subcutaneous fluids for her, originally was supposed to be 2 times a week but now that we got the blood test results back it's going to be every other day. She's not in any pain right now and she's acting like she always does so we are going to do everything we can for her now but the prognosis is maybe she will be with us another 3-6 months :(

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Awe PatsyB sorry to hear about Isis it is sooooo hard to watch our fur babies get old...It is understandable that you are spending your time with her.. Sending you my thoughts and prayers for her and hope that you have peaceful days knowing you are doing everything you can for her.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
We are becoming pros at giving her oral antibiotics and poking her with a needle. She's a trooper. We got some samples of a special kidney diet and they warned us that she may not eat any of it but so far she LOVES it!

donprec

Juvenile Dragon
Oh Patsy, I'm so sorry to hear that you and Isis are going through this! I had 2 cats that needed fluids at home and they both kept going for 2 and 3 years after...but, got their kidney problems at younger ages, 14 and 12. Thank god both were very good about it, even when the skin was getting tougher because of all the needle poking after a year...it got so bad that I started to dread doing it then because it felt like I had to be hurting them.
Are you talking about the k/d diet? I had a couple cats when I had to give the k/d...the one who needed it wouldn't touch it but the others would eat it up! It just didn't work out for me to spend all that extra money on the food for the others who didn't need it, lol.
Has your vet given you the prescription for the fluids so you can order them online? A bag was like $25 at the vet's but I could order 4 bags with shipping included for something like $30 but I can't remember from what company.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
The food is from Royal Canin they apparently are doing a variety of flavors now to try to make it more appealing, so far so good. I need to look at my vet receipt again I thought she charged me like 10 bucks for the fluids and like 2 for the needles. I'm going to also see if it would be cheaper for me to order the stuff through work. At the dental office we can get all sorts of stuff.

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Prayers, Patsy. Give her your love. Give her OUR love

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Thanks everyone. It helps me to talk about it I think. She's one spoiled little kitty these days and she's loving it :) that's how I want her to remember her last days.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You have given her a wonderful life and that's how it should be.. Take your time and enjoy what you have together...Your a good fur Mom

ruemybaby

Bearded Dragon Egg
I am very sorry. I had a dog named raja. But she died due to attacks from other dogs.........:(:eek::oops:

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
She's doing real good at the moment. Had a checkup on Tuesday and she hasn't gained weight but hasn't lost any either. We should have the test results today to see how the kidneys are doing after a month of sub q fluids. She doesn't really eat the kidney diet anymore. I try to mix it up with her other food to trick her to eat it.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Keeping my fingers crossed that the results are good..

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Good news! Her kidney levels looked better so we just need to keep up with the fluids take her back in 3 months for another check :)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Thanks everyone. She really is old, I just watched her very carefully slide down the couch and her hips got her a few steps and she had to stop and rest. She may die of old age before her kidney's completely go.

She's the most spoiled cat though, always goes to sleep with someone be it on the couch or on the bed and she always has an electric blanket on. One of my friends said when she dies she wants to come back as one of my cats because of how good they get treated!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sounds like our house :) our 3 are also pretty dang spoiled lol
I had a calico named patches and she had kidney issues and I had to do the whole subq fluids off and on... Her kidneys did well her body just gave up she was 15 when I let her go..