• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

mirrors

What's your guy's take on mirrors in the viv

• Total voters

maryjane

Hatchling Dragon
Snapchat-20141013085432.jpg

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
The mirror may eventually upset her because she will think there is another dragon in the tank with her. Also, I noticed you have some sort of feed in the bottom of your tank. If she licks it and swallows some of those pieces (especially those big pieces of corn) she could become impacted. I would remove it.

maryjane

Hatchling Dragon
I've read a lot of peoole who bread use it to get a dragon use to having another one in there but if it upsets her I'll take it out and the bird seed I've been using it for a while now and when she licks it she doesn't get any in her mouth generally but of she does she spits out I havent had any problems so far but ill keep a close eye on her

Attachments

• Snapchat-20141014100523.jpg
    Snapchat-20141014100523.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 97

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Bird seeds in a bearded dragon tank? How come and why? (I'm just curious.) Bird seeds are for birds, and having them in the tank can cause other issues such as respiratory issues, impaction in the intestines, and with their constant tasting of their environment is their way of seeing if the tank is their home. Suitable substrates are: Paper Towels, non-adhesive shelf liner, repticarpet. Playsand, crushed walnut sand, calci-sand is highly dangerous. I would be worried out of my mind if I had something in the tank that shouldn't be there.

Beardies often look and see reflections of themselves. They get stressed out, show dominance, and will glass dance to show they're "The Alpha Dragon".

maryjane

Hatchling Dragon
My dragon was doing that so I took the mirror out. bird seed is digestible so I don't see How it could cause impaction and it's easy to keep clean its not dusty I'm not sure How it could cause repository problems and Yes she does lick her environment and If she gets seed on her mouth she usually spits it ot and she doesn't lick it often its more often that she licks her toys and basking area I don't use paper towel because it gets stuck to her tung I'd rather her be swallowing bird seed then paper towel I don't use and sands or soil because of impaction I don't use news paper because when heated to a certain temp or with use on a uvb light people say it release chemicals I don't use repti carpet because there nails can get caught in it I've herd of others using seed this is my first time using it and it has gone Well all though when I have to get new seed I will be going for a small seed

maryjane

Hatchling Dragon
Also saying why bird seed bird seed if for birds is like saying cows milk is for baby cows so why drink it (not trying to be rude if I'm coming off that way )

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Bearded dragons can eat a lot of different foods but don't really have the best digestive tract. Think about how tiny her her intestines are and then think about her passing a rock through them, the bird seed isn't going to soften up once she swallows it. There are other lizards that can be kept on bird seed. The uromastyx have very powerful jaws that can break open the seeds and shells.

All it takes is one time for her to lick the seed and not spit it out.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My dragon was doing that so I took the mirror out. bird seed is digestible so I don't see How it could cause impaction and it's easy to keep clean its not dusty I'm not sure How it could cause repository problems and Yes she does lick her environment and If she gets seed on her mouth she usually spits it ot and she doesn't lick it often its more often that she licks her toys and basking area I don't use paper towel because it gets stuck to her tung I'd rather her be swallowing bird seed then paper towel I don't use and sands or soil because of impaction I don't use news paper because when heated to a certain temp or with use on a uvb light people say it release chemicals I don't use repti carpet because there nails can get caught in it I've herd of others using seed this is my first time using it and it has gone Well all though when I have to get new seed I will be going for a small seed

https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=194835

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
And impaction is a blockage in the intestines that can kill a bearded dragon. Your dragon is purely stressed from the stress marks on the side. How many times do you give her a bath?

maryjane

Hatchling Dragon
And impaction is a blockage in the intestines that can kill a bearded dragon. Your dragon is purely stressed from the stress marks on the side. How many times do you give her a bath?
Can you please respond now im strssed out and that was from the mirror but she still has the marks

maryjane

Hatchling Dragon
She's eating she's basking she's being active the only thing that she's doing is wall/glass surfing and scratching but she's scratching around the mouth and I know she's not impacted

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Stress marks are marks on the underside of the belly and they form when the dragon is stressed out from wrong environments, new surroundings, changes in the tank, not comfortable with the arrangements. First, remove the seeds. I have a bird and when those seeds ever gets wet, they clump up. Wild bird food clumps up too when they are left out in the rain. Seeds may be easy to take out, but what about the rest of the tank? The beardie steps in their poop and tracks it around and all over the tank. Then you'll have to remove all of the seeds, clean up the decorations and so forth. Anywhere the bearded dragon steps, it's poop still stays in there and it's unsanitary. Put some non-adhesive shelf liner in...it's easier to clean and makes the tank much more homier and gets them off the glass. (First wash and air dry. It has an odor to it, but will go away when you air dry in the heat. Tile is a good way and it's easier to clean up.
For the meantime, put paper towels in. Sometimes, they do digest paper towels when they eat and it goes through their digestive tract. It's not very big when they do. I don't like newspapers either. Yuck. They stink and you don't know what type of contaminates you're introducing to them.
Describe all that you have in the tank. Temperature gauges, UVB, Heat lamps, all the equipment that you're using. Incorrect temps can contribute to stress marks as does being ill. Beardeds are good at hiding internal problems. So, depending on how long you've had her, she'll have stress marks until she gets used to her surroundings.

Next: What are you feeding her? Greens and feeders.

How is her poop? Is it solid or runny? Does it smell up the room to where you want to run out. Smelly poops are cause for concern because it can be either a change in diet, parasites, Coccidia, pinworms, etc.

maryjane

Hatchling Dragon
Okay thank you! Im going to clean up her tank now and I feed her Crickets like as a regular mean and freeze dried as a treat I offer her a spring mix and she's not eating it and I've had her for a couple of months

maryjane

Hatchling Dragon
Stress marks are marks on the underside of the belly and they form when the dragon is stressed out from wrong environments, new surroundings, changes in the tank, not comfortable with the arrangements. First, remove the seeds. I have a bird and when those seeds ever gets wet, they clump up. Wild bird food clumps up too when they are left out in the rain. Seeds may be easy to take out, but what about the rest of the tank? The beardie steps in their poop and tracks it around and all over the tank. Then you'll have to remove all of the seeds, clean up the decorations and so forth. Anywhere the bearded dragon steps, it's poop still stays in there and it's unsanitary. Put some non-adhesive shelf liner in...it's easier to clean and makes the tank much more homier and gets them off the glass. (First wash and air dry. It has an odor to it, but will go away when you air dry in the heat. Tile is a good way and it's easier to clean up.
For the meantime, put paper towels in. Sometimes, they do digest paper towels when they eat and it goes through their digestive tract. It's not very big when they do. I don't like newspapers either. Yuck. They stink and you don't know what type of contaminates you're introducing to them.
Describe all that you have in the tank. Temperature gauges, UVB, Heat lamps, all the equipment that you're using. Incorrect temps can contribute to stress marks as does being ill. Beardeds are good at hiding internal problems. So, depending on how long you've had her, she'll have stress marks until she gets used to her surroundings.

Next: What are you feeding her? Greens and feeders.

How is her poop? Is it solid or runny? Does it smell up the room to where you want to run out. Smelly poops are cause for concern because it can be either a change in diet, parasites, Coccidia, pinworms, etc.
IMG_20141015_222459.JPG

Latest posts