• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Juvenile

Srand70

Hatchling Dragon
Hello New to owning a bearded dragon and wanting to get all the correct information I can.
Our local store told us to feed our bearded dragon 5 crickets a day…that does not seem correct or I misunderstood. Could someone please clarify. I am using the calcium dusting powder. Is that with every feeding?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello New to owning a bearded dragon and wanting to get all the correct information I can.
Our local store told us to feed our bearded dragon 5 crickets a day…that does not seem correct or I misunderstood. Could someone please clarify. I am using the calcium dusting powder. Is that with every feeding?
How old is the dragon? Babies need way more food than 5 crickets per day- calcium amounts and your UVB is going to determine on the age-- you only got a portion of what is required to keep a dragon alive and thriving- please go over what is in the tank - down to the substrate

Srand70

Hatchling Dragon
How old is the dragon? Babies need way more food than 5 crickets per day- calcium amounts and your UVB is going to determine on the age-- you only got a portion of what is required to keep a dragon alive and thriving- please go over what is in the tank - down to the substrate
We were told it was a juvenile. I have a 40 gallon tank for now (plan on the front open 120 gallon). The substrate it washable carpet (i have 2 to switch out) i have several fake plants for it to climb and a hammock in the corner. A large tall stand thats under the heating lamp ( a combo of heat and light) and a smaller hiding cave on the cooler end. A decorator skull in the other corner. I have a branch for it to climb and rhe water bowls and feeding bowls…we also have a cricket holder

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
We were told it was a juvenile. I have a 40 gallon tank for now (plan on the front open 120 gallon). The substrate it washable carpet (i have 2 to switch out) i have several fake plants for it to climb and a hammock in the corner. A large tall stand thats under the heating lamp ( a combo of heat and light) and a smaller hiding cave on the cooler end. A decorator skull in the other corner. I have a branch for it to climb and rhe water bowls and feeding bowls…we also have a cricket holder
Ok so it sounds like a coil UVB -- they are inadequate and needs to be replaced w/ a long tube fixture asap- juvenile as in 5-6 months? The most important thing in your tank is surface basking temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- 95-100 for a 6 month old dragon younger than 6 months 105-110- and your UVB those things I mentioned are what is going to keep him alive and thriving - surface basking temps start digestion and UVB helps the dragon absorb the calcium hes getting -- UVB also prevents diseases and all kinds of health problems the biggest MBD

Srand70

Hatchling Dragon
Ok so it sounds like a coil UVB -- they are inadequate and needs to be replaced w/ a long tube fixture asap- juvenile as in 5-6 months? The most important thing in your tank is surface basking temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- 95-100 for a 6 month old dragon younger than 6 months 105-110- and your UVB those things I mentioned are what is going to keep him alive and thriving - surface basking temps start digestion and UVB helps the dragon absorb the calcium hes getting -- UVB also prevents diseases and all kinds of health problems the biggest MBD
Thank you so much…i will immediately look into the uvb light and digital probe

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you so much…i will immediately look into the uvb light and digital probe
There are 3 good ones recommended I can post links for you not all UVB's are the same --- Zoo Med digital probe found at Pet Smart or Petco

Srand70

Hatchling Dragon
There are 3 good ones recommended I can post links for you not all UVB's are the same --- Zoo Med digital probe found at Pet Smart or Petco
I will take any and all links you think may be helpful

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I will take any and all links you think may be helpful
Try Pet Smart for this one if you have one they have started carrying these
You want the 24 watt 12% bulb https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/en...v-b-kit-65058.html?cgid=500114&fmethod=Browse or this one
this comes w/ a 5.0 bulb you will need the bulb I post for it
https://www.pangeareptile.com/collections/fixtures/products/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-hood
22" https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...d-reptisun-10-0-uvb-t5?variant=26907418591332
or this one you will need to replace the bulb I posted above and get the 24" or 2 ft fixture
https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster-nanotech-t5-ho-fixture-with-6400k-lamp.html
when you get the UVB please post back on here I will help you get it placed for the tank - the screen on the tank will determine placement and distance ------------ how old is the dragon ?

Srand70

Hatchling Dragon
Try Pet Smart for this one if you have one they have started carrying these
You want the 24 watt 12% bulb https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/en...v-b-kit-65058.html?cgid=500114&fmethod=Browse or this one
this comes w/ a 5.0 bulb you will need the bulb I post for it
https://www.pangeareptile.com/collections/fixtures/products/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-hood
22" https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...d-reptisun-10-0-uvb-t5?variant=26907418591332
or this one you will need to replace the bulb I posted above and get the 24" or 2 ft fixture
https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster-nanotech-t5-ho-fixture-with-6400k-lamp.html
when you get the UVB please post back on here I will help you get it placed for the tank - the screen on the tank will determine placement and distance ------------ how old is the dragon ?
We were only told its a juvenile… not impressed with our petsmart but ultimately my fault for not searching better

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
We were only told its a juvenile… not impressed with our petsmart but ultimately my fault for not searching better
The bulb I posted from there is very good -- if you can get it --- do not listen to anything the employees tell you - they do not know how to take care of dragons--- Please NO colored bulbs at all and you want a solid clear bright white basking bulb --- No daytime bulbs either -- what is the substrate your using ? Please post a pic of the dragon

Srand70

Hatchling Dragon
I ordered the 2nd light you suggested and the bulb you recommended supposed to be here next week. What kind of heat source will I need since mine was 1 fixture with the heat and light?

Attachments

• IMG_3382.jpeg
    IMG_3382.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3381.jpeg
    IMG_3381.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 7

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I ordered the 2nd light you suggested and the bulb you recommended supposed to be here next week. What kind of heat source will I need since mine was 1 fixture with the heat and light?
Ok so you ordered the Zoo Med? Please make sure you get the bulb I posted for that fixture- what is in the dome your using for a basking bulb? Is it a solid clear bright white bulb-- I am gonna guess its a Thrive bulb? the tank looks nice and hes a baby get your surface basking temps up to 105-110 w/ the probe placed on the spot where he basks --- the substrate is ok for now-- you might want to get some textured NON adhesive shelf liner cut to the size of the tank - you then wont have crickets disappearing under it - they are not good to keep in the tank over night - they will bite the dragon --- you can find that at Walmart or your local home improvement store

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Also are you feeding salads now? He needs them even tho he may not eat them so you can get him some BSFL to use as lures to the salad bowl - www.symtonbsf.com order large and do not dust them - we want him eating some salads --- https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
feed first thing in the morning before the main staple feeder feed as many as you want they are a great staple feeder- please make sure your dusting the main insect w calcium D3 5 x per week ONCE per feeding lightly coated - vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week ONCE per feeding lightly coated -

Srand70

Hatchling Dragon
Ok so you ordered the Zoo Med? Please make sure you get the bulb I posted for that fixture- what is in the dome your using for a basking bulb? Is it a solid clear bright white bulb-- I am gonna guess its a Thrive bulb? the tank looks nice and hes a baby get your surface basking temps up to 105-110 w/ the probe placed on the spot where he basks --- the substrate is ok for now-- you might want to get some textured NON adhesive shelf liner cut to the size of the tank - you then wont have crickets disappearing under it - they are not good to keep in the tank over night - they will bite the dragon --- you can find that at Walmart or your local home improvement store
I did get the the bulb you suggested and as far as whats in the tank i got the Zoo Med ReptiHabitat Bearded Dragon 40 Gallon Terrarium Kit..he does not eat many crickets but he did just shed would that be why he is not eating them..they are the small crickets…thank you so much

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I did get the the bulb you suggested and as far as whats in the tank i got the Zoo Med ReptiHabitat Bearded Dragon 40 Gallon Terrarium Kit..he does not eat many crickets but he did just shed would that be why he is not eating them..they are the small crickets…thank you so much
Hes going thru relocation stress so his eating is going to be off -- once hes adjusted to the tank and his surroundings he will start eating LOTS more - he should be eating around 20-25 crickets per feeding --- I would get some dubia roaches from symtonbsf.com as well please order the insect NO bigger than the space between his eyes-- the coil throw away - the food stuff I wouldnt use that feed it to the crickets -- the analog temp gauge is good for ambient temps only - you want a digital probe hygrometer https://dubiaroaches.com/products/exo-terra-digital-hygrometer?_pos=1&_sid=ac857912b&_ss=r they are the most accurate - place the probe on the back center wall of the tank - optimal humidity is 40-50% nothing over 70 and under 20% -- this has a lot to help w/ shed -- shedding will effect appetite but we want him eating something - is he not eating at all ?

Srand70

Hatchling Dragon
Hes going thru relocation stress so his eating is going to be off -- once hes adjusted to the tank and his surroundings he will start eating LOTS more - he should be eating around 20-25 crickets per feeding --- I would get some dubia roaches from symtonbsf.com as well please order the insect NO bigger than the space between his eyes-- the coil throw away - the food stuff I wouldnt use that feed it to the crickets -- the analog temp gauge is good for ambient temps only - you want a digital probe hygrometer https://dubiaroaches.com/products/exo-terra-digital-hygrometer?_pos=1&_sid=ac857912b&_ss=r they are the most accurate - place the probe on the back center wall of the tank - optimal humidity is 40-50% nothing over 70 and under 20% -- this has a lot to help w/ shed -- shedding will effect appetite but we want him eating something - is he not eating at all ?
Yes he ate a few (2 or 3) crickets today and yesterday he ate a few and a meal worm…his moving around more so that makes me feel better

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes he ate a few (2 or 3) crickets today and yesterday he ate a few and a meal worm…his moving around more so that makes me feel better
Ok please NO meal worms-- they are too harsh on babies stomachs and can cause impaction - as long as hes eating something that is good --- please get the BSFL ordered and some dubia roaches - you can also use some small super worms to put on top of his salads like around 3 at most -- those are treat worms - use those and the BSFL to hand tame him - the basking bulb is good - the green mesh hammock not so much - they are notorious for causing nail and feet sprains - if you want to keep the hammock please get a fleece or cloth one www.etsy.com or www.pamperedbeardies.com - you can use a fleece blanket or piece of clothing to put in his hide to get him used to your scent --

Srand70

Hatchling Dragon
Do i need a heating light or i saw the

HealSmart Reptile Heat Lamp 100W Ceramic Heat Emitter, No Light Emitting Heat Bulbs​

Srand70

Hatchling Dragon
Ok please NO meal worms-- they are too harsh on babies stomachs and can cause impaction - as long as hes eating something that is good --- please get the BSFL ordered and some dubia roaches - you can also use some small super worms to put on top of his salads like around 3 at most -- those are treat worms - use those and the BSFL to hand tame him - the basking bulb is good - the green mesh hammock not so much - they are notorious for causing nail and feet sprains - if you want to keep the hammock please get a fleece or cloth one www.etsy.com or www.pamperedbeardies.com - you can use a fleece blanket or piece of clothing to put in his hide to get him used to your scent --
Ordered the BSFL. Will get rid of hammock more for decorating and put another plant he seems to like those

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Do i need a heating light or i saw the

HealSmart Reptile Heat Lamp 100W Ceramic Heat Emitter, No Light Emitting Heat Bulbs​

Keep the basking bulb - heat emitters are good for sick dragons and winter time- you want ambient temps 65-75 at night anything colder your heat emitter can be used- dragons like cool and dark at night but the basking bulb provides UVA like the sun - and they start hydration heat emitters do not provide that

Latest posts