• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is this enclosure actually any good?

Blueducki

Bearded Dragon Egg
I did tiles on my Zen Habitat. I didn't get Smooth tiles, I got ones with some roughness to them. Grouted between them to prevent any debris, parasites, etc. Just makes for a cleaner space.
I also sealed around the perimeter with acrylic latex.

Attachments

• 20201221_145644.jpg
    20201221_145644.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 11

Jamie2094o

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks everyone for your help. I keep researching every day....
so the vivarium is going to be 4ft x 2ft x 2ft. I’ve seen some people say it’s too big for a 3month old beardie, some have said they have no issues.

if I have issues with stress,
How would I partition the viv? What size would I make the viv? Would I readjust the position of bulbs? What material type would be best to partition?
Sorry for all the questions, I just want to get it right! :)

Jamie2094o

Bearded Dragon Egg
I did tiles on my Zen Habitat. I didn't get Smooth tiles, I got ones with some roughness to them. Grouted between them to prevent any debris, parasites, etc. Just makes for a cleaner space.
I also sealed around the perimeter with acrylic latex.
What size tiles are they? They look so nice!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sadie: Repticarpet is NOT sanitary & hard to keep clean; unless u are washing it in hot water after every poop. Google “Coccidia” it’s deadly & Beardies can get it very easily from unclean habitats; it requires a vet & a lot of burning & cleaning for up to 2mnths; petco is notorious for selling Beardies with Coccidia & a lot that we rescued had it & we cleared it up & that’s speaking from someone (myself) who is super super OCD. Leave the tiles I. Their if u want & dotm seal them just spray with a good safe pretzel cleaner theres a few brands that are safe/good; order from Amazon.
I did not recommend the repticarpet- it is a pain to keep clean I agree but it is up to them if they want to use it--- they could also go w/ some textured NON adhesive shelf liner-- on the other part if they want to

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
so the vivarium is going to be 4ft x 2ft x 2ft. I’ve seen some people say it’s too big for a 3month old beardie, some have said they have no issues.

How would I partition the viv? What size would I make the viv? Would I readjust the position of bulbs? What material type would be best to partition?
You can use some cardboard or particle board and do half the tank - I put blaze in the 4x2x2 and he was fine-- he basically used the basking side and middle of tank for the first month or two then he started to explore the tank--- he too was around 3 months old--- it's up to you - you can see how his behavior is if he looks or acts extremely stressed out then you can partition it off-

Jamie2094o

Bearded Dragon Egg
You can use some cardboard or particle board and do half the tank - I put blaze in the 4x2x2 and he was fine-- he basically used the basking side and middle of tank for the first month or two then he started to explore the tank--- he too was around 3 months old--- it's up to you - you can see how his behavior is if he looks or acts extremely stressed out then you can partition it off-
That makes me feel much more at ease. I’ll give that a go but get some particle board just in case.
Would that mean I’ll need to get a smaller UV bulb aswell?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That makes me feel much more at ease. I’ll give that a go but get some particle board just in case.
Would that mean I’ll need to get a smaller UV bulb aswell?
No I had my tank set up just as is now-- just have your bulbs correctly set up for the basking temps- which mine the basking is on top of screen and the UVB is inside the tank T 5 w/ distance of the 12-15 inches - at the time I was using the Arcadia 14% which was strapped to the top w/ distance of 17-18 inches w/ basking decor underneath- I have since gone to the Reptisun T 5 and also the Arcadia 12% bulb--- both dragons have done very well under all 3 if those bulbs

Jamie2094o

Bearded Dragon Egg
No I had my tank set up just as is now-- just have your bulbs correctly set up for the basking temps- which mine the basking is on top of screen and the UVB is inside the tank T 5 w/ distance of the 12-15 inches - at the time I was using the Arcadia 14% which was strapped to the top w/ distance of 17-18 inches w/ basking decor underneath- I have since gone to the Reptisun T 5 and also the Arcadia 12% bulb--- both dragons have done very well under all 3 if those bulbs
Thank you, I really appreciate your help with this

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member

I have the same size tanks; it’s good to start him off with a Big cage. He will thrive & grow; make it cozy; white terry cloth towels as the substrate, so u can remove the dirty ones rite when he poops; cleanliness is super Impt to prevent Coccidia; which is deadly, a hammock for sure, wallpaper, a climber and a woven hammock from Petsmart not the green ones. A fleece blanket, a hideaway u can get a big basking platform like a pyramid. I wud not do a partition he will be more stressed if the cage is small & he’s imprisoned with plain walls. Get posters of greenery or order wallpaper with palm trees/etc to place on both sides of the tank I leave the front open & mine watch tv; soft mellow shows they don’t like violence or loud noise & on the back wall he looks out the window. Blinds tilted a bit so sun doesn’t raise the temp even hotter; U gotta be creative. As far as bulbs I place a 50 watt on the cold side away from his food and a 100Watt clear zoomed bulb for his basking and a 50 watt behind the basking over his hammock. With a Huge tank u gotta play around with it. And of course order the Reptisun 10.0 T5 for UVB; the length u order should cover 70 percent of the tank so a 36inch; this goes along the back so the tank is light & bright & when he basks & gets his uvb & overall UVb. Remember to always replace this UVb every 6Mnths. The temp in your home matters I keep mine around 67-68 sometimes at nite or if it’s a cold day I do 69-70 but this will raise your temps in the cage so u gotta monitor and depends on how high your basking platform is. I use a high one in the winter & a lower in the summer because it gets super hot in the summer. But get a digital thermometer with a probe to get the rite temp & a digital hygrometer the humidity should be 30-40 never higher than 40. Never ever feed mealworms or pellets or bottled food & no spinach it binds to calcium. Do crickets & Dubai roaches & of course the fresh plates of greens & veggies starting now. Lots of protein as he’s growing, feed 4-5 times a day the proteins, till age 5mnths then mellow down to 3feedings per day till he’s 8-9mnths then go down to 2 feedings per day and when he’s over a year or so u can feed once per day (15-20 large crickets) or every other day or 10 large crickets per day but always the plate of veggies/greens every single day, cut up in small pieces. DONOT ever feed superworms or hornworms when they are under a year old; their digestive tract cannot handle it; rule of thumb never feed things bigger than the space between their “2” eyes. When he turns a year old, u can do superworms a few days a week & hornworms as treats but both are high In fat so in moderation. Fruits a few times a week; blueberries & papaya are the good ones. Buy repcal & sprinkle on proteins 3-4 times a week once/day & Herptivite once per week/per day on a non calcium day. Use reptisafe in all bath, drinking and spraying water; chlorine is bad for their skin & dries it out. 2baths minimum per week in lukewarm dechlorinated water for 15min minimum; do more baths when they are shedding. U can play soft meditation/spa music to relax them & u can use a soft tooth brush to brush them lightly as they are soaking. Don’t get water in their ears. Hope this helps here are some pics of my set up & the basking platform.

Attachments

• 9169C71C-6DC3-4BED-8A99-54201B3F742A.jpeg
    9169C71C-6DC3-4BED-8A99-54201B3F742A.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 8
  • C9898F28-8D3F-45E5-895C-DFE05A1E3E35.jpeg
    C9898F28-8D3F-45E5-895C-DFE05A1E3E35.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 6
  • 366125BF-F285-475D-A3B2-FC87FDCE9916.jpeg
    366125BF-F285-475D-A3B2-FC87FDCE9916.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 8

Jamie2094o

Bearded Dragon Egg
Your welcome keep us posted on your baby
Everything has now been ordered. Do you use a Hygrometer to keep track of humidity?
I’ve also seen some people say they use a very small bowl of water, some do - what would you recommend? I know they get water from the greens.

I’m also thinking of keeping a very small peice of soft/fleece material in the bottom cool side, so the baby has something soft to lay on. Would that be okay?

2Pacalypse

Juvenile Dragon
Ive seen this type of thing done before, these “kits” will make u spend more, the whole silver,platinum, gold thing already a scam (basicly saying “if you love your lizard you’ll spend the most money)(they’re not doing you any favors) while it may seem like a steal of a deal you’ll end up having to replace the lighting get a new tank and decor, most of the items i seen are for general lizard care , you want lizard care specifically for desert lizards. personally i just ordered a zen habitat 4x2x2 foot enclosure, theres a couple other brands that are good, if you got the money to throw at the project then id go with your gut, i bought one of these kits when i first got my beardie and over the past year I literally have thrown almost everything away (except the tank of course) Just a cautionary tale
Hello skybugs! I've would be interested in knowing the other enclosures you mentioned. Been looking for weeks. Do you have a zen? I'm worried about the screentop with a cat & wondering if it's sturdy? I like a melamine w/screen top but read melamine isn't safe for BD? What do you think of PVC fully enclosed/no screen? Appreciate it..

2Pacalypse

Juvenile Dragon
I have the same size tanks; it’s good to start him off with a Big cage. He will thrive & grow; make it cozy; white terry cloth towels as the substrate, so u can remove the dirty ones rite when he poops; cleanliness is super Impt to prevent Coccidia; which is deadly, a hammock for sure, wallpaper, a climber and a woven hammock from Petsmart not the green ones. A fleece blanket, a hideaway u can get a big basking platform like a pyramid. I wud not do a partition he will be more stressed if the cage is small & he’s imprisoned with plain walls. Get posters of greenery or order wallpaper with palm trees/etc to place on both sides of the tank I leave the front open & mine watch tv; soft mellow shows they don’t like violence or loud noise & on the back wall he looks out the window. Blinds tilted a bit so sun doesn’t raise the temp even hotter; U gotta be creative. As far as bulbs I place a 50 watt on the cold side away from his food and a 100Watt clear zoomed bulb for his basking and a 50 watt behind the basking over his hammock. With a Huge tank u gotta play around with it. And of course order the Reptisun 10.0 T5 for UVB; the length u order should cover 70 percent of the tank so a 36inch; this goes along the back so the tank is light & bright & when he basks & gets his uvb & overall UVb. Remember to always replace this UVb every 6Mnths. The temp in your home matters I keep mine around 67-68 sometimes at nite or if it’s a cold day I do 69-70 but this will raise your temps in the cage so u gotta monitor and depends on how high your basking platform is. I use a high one in the winter & a lower in the summer because it gets super hot in the summer. But get a digital thermometer with a probe to get the rite temp & a digital hygrometer the humidity should be 30-40 never higher than 40. Never ever feed mealworms or pellets or bottled food & no spinach it binds to calcium. Do crickets & Dubai roaches & of course the fresh plates of greens & veggies starting now. Lots of protein as he’s growing, feed 4-5 times a day the proteins, till age 5mnths then mellow down to 3feedings per day till he’s 8-9mnths then go down to 2 feedings per day and when he’s over a year or so u can feed once per day (15-20 large crickets) or every other day or 10 large crickets per day but always the plate of veggies/greens every single day, cut up in small pieces. DONOT ever feed superworms or hornworms when they are under a year old; their digestive tract cannot handle it; rule of thumb never feed things bigger than the space between their “2” eyes. When he turns a year old, u can do superworms a few days a week & hornworms as treats but both are high In fat so in moderation. Fruits a few times a week; blueberries & papaya are the good ones. Buy repcal & sprinkle on proteins 3-4 times a week once/day & Herptivite once per week/per day on a non calcium day. Use reptisafe in all bath, drinking and spraying water; chlorine is bad for their skin & dries it out. 2baths minimum per week in lukewarm dechlorinated water for 15min minimum; do more baths when they are shedding. U can play soft meditation/spa music to relax them & u can use a soft tooth brush to brush them lightly as they are soaking. Don’t get water in their ears. Hope this helps here are some pics of my set up & the basking platform.
A couple questions-isn't your uvb all the way across the ones tank but you said only 70 percent coverage? I don't see a uvb on the second tank?
They are super cute with their lil pillows!
What size tank are they & where did you get them? I'm looking for a larger & not liking all the sides enclosed on the ones I've seen. Mine loves being nosy.
Thank you!

2Pacalypse

Juvenile Dragon
Sadie: Repticarpet is NOT sanitary & hard to keep clean; unless u are washing it in hot water after every poop. Google “Coccidia” it’s deadly & Beardies can get it very easily from unclean habitats; it requires a vet & a lot of burning & cleaning for up to 2mnths; petco is notorious for selling Beardies with Coccidia & a lot that we rescued had it & we cleared it up & that’s speaking from someone (myself) who is super super OCD. Leave the tiles I. Their if u want & dotm seal them just spray with a good safe pretzel cleaner theres a few brands that are safe/good; order from Amazon.
Pretzel cleaner? I found a black rubber type thing that's used for in drawers or whatever at Target for $10. I cut it in half & put one on the bottom of tank & the other as the backdrop. Mine poops in same spot so I put paper towels in that spot & change often.

Latest posts