• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is this enclosure actually any good?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
In terms of the UV bulb, what length would you suggest for a 4ft Vivarium?
I am using a Zoo Med 24" fixture in my 4x2x2 tanks -- you dont want a fixture the same length of the tank - they need to be able to be out of the rays w/ out hiding from them

Jamie2094o

Bearded Dragon Egg
I am using a Zoo Med 24" fixture in my 4x2x2 tanks -- you dont want a fixture the same length of the tank - they need to be able to be out of the rays w/ out hiding from them
Ah perfect, so this one should be fine? 24W one

also in the original setup for a t8 it came with a ballast - I’m guessing I’d need a different one for a T5, however can’t seem to find a T5 ballast?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ah perfect, so this one should be fine? 24W one

also in the original setup for a t8 it came with a ballast - I’m guessing I’d need a different one for a T5, however can’t seem to find a T5 ballast?
If you get a fixture like a Arcadia or Zoo Med or Sunblaster you dont need a ballast ---

Jamie2094o

Bearded Dragon Egg
If you get a fixture like a Arcadia or Zoo Med or Sunblaster you dont need a ballast ---
Apologies, I think I may be confused with what a ballast is. Looking at the photo on products, it looks like a power box with a switch, and it says it’s a controller and talks about longer lamp life and reduced running costs?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
This one is good --- just make sure when installing its the correct distance and placement - that depends on the screen / top of the tank --- the Pro T 5

Jamie2094o

Bearded Dragon Egg
This one is good --- just make sure when installing its the correct distance and placement - that depends on the screen / top of the tank --- the Pro T 5
So based on the viv it’ll be inside. So I’ll just make sure it’s 12-15 inches from the basking decor, and right next to the basking lamp. How far from the side of the wall should it be? And should it be flush against the back wall or hanging more towards the middle/back (with a small gap behind it)?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So based on the viv it’ll be inside. So I’ll just make sure it’s 12-15 inches from the basking decor, and right next to the basking lamp. How far from the side of the wall should it be? And should it be flush against the back wall or hanging more towards the middle/back (with a small gap behind it)?
You don't want it on the back wall - it can be towards back but hanging from screen etc-- it is optimal to have next to basking light sometimes that is not possible so you can hang as close to it as possible- he's going to go to the light he needs-- I have my basking light in the back right side of tank and UVB is in the middle front of tank- both tanks set up the same way and both dragons go to the light they need-

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi guys, new here and looking to get a bearded dragon in the next 4-6 weeks, very excited!

So I am looking at setups, but see some varying information on different sites so thought I’d ask here. Is this setup actually any good?
https://www.reptilecentre.com/info-bearded-dragon-setups - if not can anyone suggest anything better?

also I see varying info about substrate. What is the best? I see reptile carpet, but how often would you change? I also see tiles but again, just curious about cleaning. Any tips would be great :)
Best substrate is white terry cloth towels. Buy a bag from Home Depot; it’s easy to clean up the poop, remove the sorrry towels & place new one; the tanks for Beardies need to remain super duper clean to prevent bacteria or infections. I wud start with a 40gallon tank in which the doors open in the front. Petsmart has a great one for $170 but buy it empty without the bad stuff they sell you; wrong lights etc. Never ever use coiled or colored bulbs; it burns their eyes. Pet stores give wrong info and we rescue and rehome. Buy a zoomed clear heat lamp & a Reptisun 10.0 T5 for uvb this uvb is a long tube and needs replacing every 6mntjs. The length u order should cover 70percwnt of the tank. Buy a digital thermometer & a digital hygrometer & place on the basking side me t to his basking spot a few inches below the top of cage. Humidity always should be 30-40 never higher than 40. Temp for a baby/juvenile 105-110; more like 105 and when he gets to be 9mnths or a year old basking temp should be 95-100; more like 97. I’m the summer keep both the uvb and heat on for 12-14 hours more like 14; they have more energy in the summer and mimic the daylight. In the winter it’s 10-12 hours more like 10. See how ty Beardie looks of tired put him to bed. Also NO lights at nite ever. Pure dark & quiet. From a baby till 8mtta old use a ceramic heat emitter at nite to keep the temp around 78-80 after he turns 9mnths/older u can use it in the winter for him if temp drops below 70. As adults they can handle more cold but not as babies/juveniles cuz they can get an upper respiratory infection. Also; Get a brown woven hammock from Petsmart to place Behind the basking spot; they love it. And place a soft cloth over the hammock; so underneath serves as his hideaway/shady area and place a fleece blanket under the hammock so it’s soft when he’s hiding/resting. Lots of protein as they are growing; feed 4-5 times a day crickets and Dubia roaches are the best., feed till they stop eating 10min at a time per feeding. When he’s 3-4 months old feed 3times a day then when he’s 8mnths old feed twice a day the proteins then after a year once per day 10-15 large crickets & or Dubias or 7 super worms. But always do the fresh plate of veggies and greens starting from a baby or they will never eat them when they are Older. As treats 1-2 times a week blueberries & papayas are the best fruits. And of course the greens/veggies always; The best ones are mustard greens, collard greens, dandelions, yellow squash, butternut squash, green beans, snap peas, endives ans red bell peppers. 2-3 of each everyday forever starting when they are babies rite now dice them up to size. Never ever feed mealworms or bottled food/pellets; worst thing for them & it impacts them. After a year of age u can add superworms amd hornworms; horns as treats both are high in fat so in moderation. Baths twice a week in lukewarm dechlorinated water for 15min minimum & more baths when shedding. Buy Reptisafe if u dotm have a filter system use it for drinking/bathing water. Also mist him a few times a day. Good luck

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi Jamie; please buy the Reptisun 10.0 T5; the 5.0 emits little to No Uvb. We rescue and rehome and this is the proper oen to use. Just make sure he’s 10inches away from it so tyoically if u buy a hammock make sure it’s 10inches or more away;) u can place it in the back & the heat lamp more in the front on the side wher the uvb begins so when he basks he gets both. Amd cover the hammock on witha. Soft terry cloth on top so idneranetah is his hideaway he needs to have a shady area to get away from the uvb and under ty hammock buy a fleeec blanket they love it. NO coltoedbor cliped bulbs ever and at nite pure dark and quiet. U can buy a ceramic heat emitter for heat if temp drops below 70 for an adult or below 8” for a baby/juvenile dragon.

Blueducki

Bearded Dragon Egg
Apologies.

so in the UK from what I can see it’s only measurements. But using a converter, it looks like that one is a 75 gallon (https://www.thesprucepets.com/aquarium-sizes-and-weights-1380694). Is it not okay to put a baby one in that size?
Thanks for the info for the reptile carpet - that’s useful to know
You can use a larger tank for a baby, as long as you have your temps where they need to be.
I understand why people say start with a 40gal for babies. The larger tank can be overwhelming, it might be harder to get the high temps they need, etc..
But it's going to outgrow that 40gal in months, why waste the $$? You can partition a larger tank if you need to.
Go for the size it'll need as an adult, in my opinion.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
You can use a larger tank for a baby, as long as you have your temps where they need to be.
I understand why people say start with a 40gal for babies. The larger tank can be overwhelming, it might be harder to get the high temps they need, etc..
But it's going to outgrow that 40gal in months, why waste the $$? You can partition a larger tank if you need to.
Go for the size it'll need as an adult, in my opinion.
U can use a 40 gallon and then return it after 3mnths or so if u have the receipt they take it back at petssmart. It’s simple. An Adult size tank is 4feet long by 2feet high by 2feet long. And basking platform needs to be high and use a zoomed 100Watt bulb or 150watt bulb and u can place a 50 or 75 watt bulb on the cold size for some warmth also.

Blueducki

Bearded Dragon Egg
U can use a 40 gallon and then return it after 3mnths or so if u have the receipt they take it back at petssmart. It’s simple. An Adult size tank is 4feet long by 2feet high by 2feet long. And basking platform needs to be high and use a zoomed 100Watt bulb or 150watt bulb and u can place a 50 or 75 watt bulb on the cold size for some warmth also.
Or you could just buy the appropriate sized tank for when it's an adult and not worry about the running around the be sure you return the tank within 60days.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Apologies.

so in the UK from what I can see it’s only measurements. But using a converter, it looks like that one is a 75 gallon (https://www.thesprucepets.com/aquarium-sizes-and-weights-1380694). Is it not okay to put a baby one in that size?
Thanks for the info for the reptile carpet - that’s useful to know
Use white terry cloth towels as the substrate it’s easy to remove when they poop and place new ones. Beardies like it super clean & it needs to be kept clean to prevent the Beardie from stepping & licking/ingesting fecal matter which causes Coccidia!! Google Coccidia

Jamie2094o

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please do not use wood chips- they can cause internal injuries if ingested --- here is a piece of my ceramic tile - it is slated and has some texture for traction -- I dont know why the UK and other countries use the T 8 -- here is a website to find some Arcadias https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/
Arcadias are really good bulbs ---
With the tile, do you seal the cracks or leave? I’d be happy to remove the tiles to clean, just didn’t know.

also I was thinking have the hot side with tiles and the cool side with Repti Carpet. Would this be okay? I just worry about the whole tank being too hot with just tiles.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
With the tile, do you seal the cracks or leave? I’d be happy to remove the tiles to clean, just didn’t know.

also I was thinking have the hot side with tiles and the cool side with Repti Carpet. Would this be okay? I just worry about the whole tank being too hot with just tiles.
My tiles do not heat up at all- I do not have any seal they were left loose to be able to pull them to deep clean I use a blue thick shop paper towel from Walmart to put under the tile to catch the watery urate- you can use the repticarpet if you like-

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member

Tile is good however it’s very slippery on their joints when they run use terry cloth towels are easiest the carpet is not & will not be sanitary; how will u clean it after each poop? They will get Coccidia with an unsanitary havitat; Google Coccidia it’s deadly, needs a vet & like lice in the tummy & all over the cage. If u seal the tile u need to know what to use products can be deadly to the dragon; they cannot breath or inhale any chemicals and the heat burning on it will be an issue unless u Google or find out what’s safe to seal the tiles. But it’s food to use.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
My tiles do not heat up at all- I do not have any seal they were left loose to be able to pull them to deep clean I use a blue thick shop paper towel from Walmart to put under the tile to catch the watery urate- you can use the repticarpet if you like-
Sadie: Repticarpet is NOT sanitary & hard to keep clean; unless u are washing it in hot water after every poop. Google “Coccidia” it’s deadly & Beardies can get it very easily from unclean habitats; it requires a vet & a lot of burning & cleaning for up to 2mnths; petco is notorious for selling Beardies with Coccidia & a lot that we rescued had it & we cleared it up & that’s speaking from someone (myself) who is super super OCD. Leave the tiles I. Their if u want & dotm seal them just spray with a good safe pretzel cleaner theres a few brands that are safe/good; order from Amazon.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi guys, new here and looking to get a bearded dragon in the next 4-6 weeks, very excited!

So I am looking at setups, but see some varying information on different sites so thought I’d ask here. Is this setup actually any good?
https://www.reptilecentre.com/info-bearded-dragon-setups - if not can anyone suggest anything better?

also I see varying info about substrate. What is the best? I see reptile carpet, but how often would you change? I also see tiles but again, just curious about cleaning. Any tips would be great :)
Best and easiest is white terry cloths; get a bag from Home Depot & order chlorohexadine from Amazon/Carolina cages sells it too it’s safe to spray and clean the cage after poop droppings or In general.

Blueducki

Bearded Dragon Egg

I did tiles on my Zen Habitat. I didn't get Smooth tiles, I got ones with some roughness to them. Grouted between them to prevent any debris, parasites, etc. Just makes for a cleaner space.
I also sealed around the perimeter with acrylic latex.

Attachments

• 20201221_144230.jpg
    20201221_144230.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
  • 20201221_145416.jpg
    20201221_145416.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 5
  • 20201221_145507.jpg
    20201221_145507.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 4

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I did tiles on my Zen Habitat. I didn't get Smooth tiles, I got ones with some roughness to them. Grouted between them to prevent any debris, parasites, etc. Just makes for a cleaner space.
I also sealed around the perimeter with acrylic latex.
I’m not familiar with products for sealing just Google or ask a Breeder if it’s safe;)

Latest posts